Sitting or standing

Rat Boy

Went out today lots of pigeons flying about definitely not interested in the decoys. And not on any defined flight line. Missed lots whilst sitting on my drum seat. So I decided to lift the nets and stand up to shoot, Definitely improved the kill rate. Does anybody else stand up to shoot.     

Standing to shoot , or standing up from a sitting position is the number one choice , having said that I do most of my shooting while sitting down and have done for many years , when I was younger I would happily knell in the tramlines on a laid Wheat field for hours on end and think nothing of it , now if I knelt for 20 minutes or so I would have a job getting up , also on the wheat fields the stems were a lot taller and you had the advantage in getting in the middle of the field in any wind direction and could get most of your gear in a game bag.

I dare say as you get older you are nowhere near as nimble as you were in your 40s and 50s and if you intend staying for most of the day then you really need a seat of sorts to sit on , I use a fairly light weight directors chair so I can rest my back on something , one of the best I have got is an ole swivel office chair I use if I make a semi permanent  hide on a Pea field that is hard to reach , so standing is number one as you can take nearly every shot in the book , next would be standing up from a sitting position and last of all would be sitting down while taking a shot , mind you if you position your chair at an angle and put your decoy pattern out to your left if you are right handed then you can take nearly everything that come in , or close to your decoys without knocking yourself up , now I am in the 75 and over club I am happy to still be able to take part and if a few get past without me without being able to take a shot then so be it , it's not the end of the world and there is always another day .   MM

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2023 at 18:00, mgsontour said:

I got myself a 'tall' bucket seat not so long ago for this exact reason thus I sit and can easily stand to take the shot

On 24/04/2023 at 13:00, stu nesling said:

nearly always sit, then stand to take the shot.

I bought a "tall" bucket seat which wasn't tall enough so I extended the lid by 4 inches using insulating foam and re-covered it with camo cloth, it's not pretty but is better for my arthritic knees.

Yes I prefer to sit while on the alert and stand for the shot although I'll take the odd sitting shot if one sneaks up on me

good point about raising the seat height a bit, i may try that. i remember after a real busy day on the peas last year the back of my legs

were killing me the next day!!  shot 192 so god knows how many times i got up. hope the peas come good this year as they are quiet at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, B B said:

Stand if its practical but equaly if hide is super low profile sitting will do, a decent compromise is kneeling its not as good as standing but less restrictive than seated proper.

Standing , sitting , kneeling or whatever but the day will come when your body will tell you what you can and can't do , you get towards 60 and after a kneeling session you legs start aching a bit and then in the 70s you might be able to kneel but getting back up is the problem :lol:

I have a wooden stool cut down so that I am semi stood up, but with my weight rested on the stool between activity. I automatically alternate shooting sitting down or standing up depending upon the approach of the bird. The one thing I do not do is move a muscle until it is time to kill. Standing, twisting and mounting is all part of the swing for me and becomes a single fluid motion upon the silent B of the Bang when I decide to ‘go’. It took me a long time, too long really, to realise that the key to building a bag isn’t knowing how to shoot, but when to shoot. 

21 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Standing , sitting , kneeling or whatever but the day will come when your body will tell you what you can and can't do , you get towards 60 and after a kneeling session you legs start aching a bit and then in the 70s you might be able to kneel but getting back up is the problem 

OH yes i can relate to that fact only too well, my knees are shocking and i fear it wont be too long until i need some sort of surgery.