Polling day

Bigteddy1954

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think nowadays it’s a vote to keep the worst out. The lesser of evils etc. imagine being an American years ago and having to choose between Hilary Clinton and Donald trump? Wow. What a stalemate that would be! 

luckily our local conservative gang are very proactive and do deal with issues raised. I don’t even know who is standing for the red team, or what they’re doing. Probably sulking on a park bench somewhere. 

We had a choice of 4 in the ward, the usual  3 plus an independent.

In the 9 years we have lived here

the leibour party have never canvassed or leafletted in any election.  On this occasion the candidate does not live in the ward and nor is their office. 

the limp dumps have never canvassed or leafletted in any election until now when we had 1 poor flier.  Again the candidate does not live in the ward

The tories have canvassed and leafletted in all elections.  The candidate supposedly does live in the ward. (used to but now debatable) but has put a lot of backs up.

The independent has both canvassed and leafletted and lives in the ward.

So in reality a 2 horse race as the others can't be bothered.

I have to say that the Tories in general, both district and county, have tried to do what was promised when they got in at the last election, within the limits of the empty coffers, debts, and mismanagement decisions predecessors ..

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Some do not even live locally and appear to have little or no connection with the ward

As I mentioned I'm standing for a city council ward. You don't have to live in the ward (I live about half a mile away from the ward perimeter) but you do have to live, or work, in the council boundary. 

The reason I know this is because my daughter was interested in standing for a ward in a different council area, where she lived since childhood and went to school, she spent 90% of her life, living and working there, but as she now lives with me, she cannot legally stand there, and I say legally, because you can be jailed for falsely claiming to live or work there. 

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

As I mentioned I'm standing for a city council ward. You don't have to live in the ward (I live about half a mile away from the ward perimeter) but you do have to live, or work, in the council boundary. 

The reason I know this is because my daughter was interested in standing for a ward in a different council area, where she lived since childhood and went to school, she spent 90% of her life, living and working there, but as she now lives with me, she cannot legally stand there, and I say legally, because you can be jailed for falsely claiming to live or work there. 

Half a mile is reasonable enough.  Local issues will be known and understood.  I don't know the full details of the (locally standing) candidates who live away as it's not my ward.   I voted for the incumbent in my ward (who lives in the wards) anyway.

I took great delight in giving the clerk in the polling station four different official forms of photo ID before I presented my (acceptable) driving licence.

I took the Labrador with me. 
They refused to let the dog vote. 
I told them her vote would be better thought through than most of the other voters.

The lady In my polling station was happy to accept my shotgun certificate!

She commented that it was freshly issued and needed the police visited to inspect cabinet. 

polling card issued and voted a bit of common sense or shall I hand my self in for incarceration!

Agriv8

5 hours ago, Imperfection said:

I sat in a polling station carpark earlier today in Cambridge having a crafty break and i didn't see one person walk through the door. 

What sort of election was it?

One where there is nobody to vote for, at least not round here.

21 hours ago, Bigteddy1954 said:

How do people vote if they don't have photo ID eg if you don't process a driving license or passport lots of elderly getting turned away is this another Tory ploy . To stop the working class and elderly voting for labour .

I thought the grey rinse brigade voted Tory? Because of "That nice Mrs Thatcher" by default!

What most disappoints is that unlike when my wife last voted in the Nigerian Gubernatorial elections you don't get offered a 20 kg sack of rice.

Edited by enfieldspares

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

which leaves the door open for radicle parties to take over...

The trouble is they are all radicle now.

I can't remember where I heard this - may have been on the radio - someone raised about the hairbrain climate change/warming/heating policies that are stripping us of cash and they didn't want that - to get a response "but it was in the manifesto" - and a quick reply saying "it was in every parties manifesto so what choice did we have"

8 minutes ago, discobob said:

I can't remember where I heard this - may have been on the radio - someone raised about the hairbrain climate change/warming/heating policies that are stripping us of cash and they didn't want that - to get a response "but it was in the manifesto" - and a quick reply saying "it was in every parties manifesto so what choice did we have"

Sadly this. 

36 minutes ago, oowee said:

You wonder why it's in the manifesto.

No - their boss told them

image.png.3a5a6a9f07b409163c67574646c7c082.png

But I believe, as well as many others, in a changing climate - do we make an impact - yes - but it is how big an impact.

It is amazing how many top scientists that are no longer dependent on grants - come out and say the same.

Apparently, in academia, for grants you need to be able to come up with "evidence" to meet the narrative. 

As always follow the money

Did you know that maritime is one of the greatest sources of emissions in the world - boats are not very efficient.... - I know that you have sails though :D but if the wind isn't blowing - remind you of anything!!

Edited by discobob
typo

17 hours ago, London Best said:

I would have thought that the vast majority of “elderly” folk would have learnt more sense than to vote Labour anyway.

Unless their Welsh.

19 hours ago, ditchman said:

proberly be the usual aperthetic low turn out as usual...........

No idea how many are in my ward/parish/area but I went in last night at 21:45 having forgotten all about it 😅😅

I was number 360, not very busy at all.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

You wonder why it's in the manifesto.

Because none of them want to lose the woke vote. 

If climate change really was the 'emergency' we are force fed to believe, do you not think the government's of the world would be doing something different to jetting about to summits, where they talk about taxing us more, restricting freedoms, and planning large scale war against the 'enemy' 

If the human race is at stake, should they not be talking more about peace, and working together? 

7 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

If climate change really was the 'emergency' we are force fed to believe, do you not think the government's of the world would be doing something different to jetting about to summits, where they talk about taxing us more, restricting freedoms, and planning large scale war against the 'enemy' 

If the human race is at stake, should they not be talking more about peace, and working together? 

This. It’s a political agenda, that’s all it is. 

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I thought the grey rinse brigade voted Tory? Because of "That nice Mrs Thatcher" by default!

What most disappoints is that unlike when my wife last voted in the Nigerian Gubernatorial elections you don't get offered a 20 kg sack of rice.

The way successive politicos here are manipulating the demise of the country, maybe soon we will be disputing over a bag of rice and dried cow pats to cook it on?😋

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

:good:

The people who go "but they won't do that" need to get a pen and paper and write down everything that is currently happening (the 4th industrial revolution perhaps?? Go on - google it) so fast and actually look at it - you might start to see a pattern that is forming. It is death by a thousand cuts - they are moving you bit by bit - and then when they do realise it is also a realisation of it is to late.

One of the more scary things that is just showing its face is Landlords and EPC on their properties - this will be coming to privately owned properties with the end goal of getting you to give up your property cheaply or for free - more than likely to some global company like BlackRock who will then rent it back to you (if you can afford it)

I do wonder how many people actually looked at the manifesto's of the people they voted for yesterday - either individual or partie ones - and looked for things like "Active Travel", "Safer Pedestrian Areas", "Equality of Access" - and realise that they have actually voted in 15 minute cities/20 minute neighbourhoods and that they will be coming after your vehicles. It is happening in Wales en masse - we have 20mph coming in a couple of months and they have a consultation going on for main trunk road charging. It is funny as Wales has had Average Speed Camera's going up like anything - actually it is only a camera - it is the software behind it that assigns it's purpose predominantly - and this can easily be changed to do per mile charging.

For those that go it is only replacing the road tax (I know - I am older) - and fuel duty - poppycock - how can one part of the country introduce it while others don't - it will never replace fuel duty and road tax - it will be on top of what you are paying now.

And breath 😁 Rant over - for now

Edited by discobob

4 hours ago, discobob said:

Manifesto.........................."a peice of paper full of stinkin lies"

43 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Manifesto.........................."a peice of paper full of stinkin lies"

On the main - yes - but there are sometimes things that look innocuous - perhaps a single line on page 1096 (you get my meaning) that will give them carte blanche to mess our lives up when read a certain way (doublespeak) 

1 hour ago, discobob said:

do wonder how many people actually looked at the manifesto's of the people they voted for yesterday

I looked at the fact the local council are now in debt, but never were, and the roads are falling apart, plus housing going up everywhere without the added infrastructure to support it.

Simple, and I doubt my vote made a jot of difference, but if you don't vote, you can't complain about it afterwards. 

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I looked at the fact the local council are now in debt, but never were, and the roads are falling apart, plus housing going up everywhere without the added infrastructure to support it

I can only speak for Nottingham, but I would imagine its a similar story on most other councils, the debts often measured in the billions, aren't going away, as there just isn't the physical means to do it, we already pay one of the highest council tax rates in the country, our roads are in tatters, needing £200 million spending on them right away. They have allotted £20 million. 

The 95% labour run city council has 'raised' £300 million in the last year by selling off council owned property, including housing, to counter the huge interest payments they are liable for. 

This is a microcosm of what a Labour government would look like.