16 gauge shotguns

DUNKS

Hi. Talk to me about this gauge please. I have never owned a 16 and fancy a change. I know the cartridges are expensive but would like your thoughts. chat to me . Yes Of course I have seen a cabinet queen S/S. and dont know whether to take the plunge.

ps. I only shoot clays and for fun.

On the Continent and particularly in Germany the 16 is their version of the 12 for good reason.

Although a misnomer as it originally relates to the muzzle loaders, it will shoot a 'square load'. 

Just do it, you know you want to. :innocent: 

Edit: You haven't by any chance just been to where I think you might have?

Edited by wymberley

A 16 bore was fine many years ago when we paid the proper price for cartridges (less shot= lower price) These day’s anything other than 12 is non standard and overpriced. If the cost and choice of cartridges doesn’t bother you then have what you want,reselling will be far from easy,it’s not easy to find buyers for any shotguns now!

I don't own a 16 and never have ......... but have often thought it was a nice practical size - especially for walked up.  I have been put off simply by the price and availability (limited choice) of cartridges here (UK). 

I imagine some (particularly modern) 16's are built on a 12 action - and so you might not get the advantage you think you are?

I have 2 16 bores, o/u & sbs. Both are built on dedicated actions, weigh just over 6lbs and are used for all my game shooting. I really like them and in my estimation they perform as well as a 12 bore. Never felt under gunned. If the gun you are considering is English then it will probably have 2.5” chambers which will limit your choice of cartridges. The extra cost of cartridges is not a concern to me as I don’t shoot big numbers.

When I was a boy in the 50s we used to pick up cartridge cases and make a collection of them. Seemed like nobody picked them up in those days and there were nearly as many 16s as 12s in those days. I read somewhere that a 28 gm or 1 oz through a 16 bore is about the perfect load.

Always fancied one but never got round to it.

I`ve shot 16s now for about 50 years and find them an excellent gun to use for walked up and pigeon shooting. I don`t do clays or driven shooting, but can imagine that the slightly limited choice of cartridges may be a disadvantage. For my occasional duck shooting I use either Clever Mirage or Lyalvale steel or Bismuth (I did say occasional so a box of Bismuth whilst an arm and a leg job, lasts me a while).

As said, many O/U 16s are built on 12 actions which defeats the object of having a different gauge, but the Lincoln (FAIR) range are built on truly scaled down actions and weigh just over 6 lbs which is an ideal weight for a 16. Side by sides of course are normally around 6 lbs. Also, as previously mentioned, many older side by sides had 2 1/2 inch chambers which again limits cartridge choice.

I certainly wouldn`t be without a 16 and am now down to 3 guns, one of which (a 20 bore) is being sold, leaving me with just 2 guns, both 16 bores, an O/U and a side by side.

My advice to Dunks would be to go for it as I don`t think that he`ll be disappointed and I`m sure that if it fits OK he`ll find it a joy both to own and shoot.

OB

A 16 that is built on a properly sized frame is a joy to use in walked up shooting. Ammunition for me is not a problem.  I have several shotguns with bespoke fit  stocks

That fit and shoot well but the plain old ugly German 16 hammergun is a superb shooter that never ceases to amaze me.

Clay shooting cartridge loads for 16G are not widely available whereas there is a wide choice for 20G. The choice can be even more restrictive if you are looking for the lighter loads in particular -  and plastic or fibre versions. Pay attention to these details and the type of shells that will suit your gun. 

I have used a greener sxs hammer, many a time ( my fathers). Lovely, lively, instinctive gun. For both rough shooting and pigeon shooting. Its choked full and full.  The older eley grand prix 26.5 g I think,  and hull three crowns,  were a brilliant cartridges through it. Brilliant killing gun.

Hello to the OP. I have owned at various times a Browning Auto 5 is 16, and still do now own one. Also a French side by side boxlock self-opener on 16 bore a Manufrance 28E Model that I still presently own. I have also owned a true pair of 16 bore side by side single trigger sidelock self-openers. All well and good. But I'll address my reply in the spirit of the question "I only shoot clays and for fun."

And my answer is don't bother to buy one. The advantage of the 16 bore is that it handles a one ounce load better than does a 20 bore and in a gun that has better proportion than does a 20 bore. In that it is less like a "wand" and so has slightly wider barrels, a slightly wider action and etc.. etc.. Not as really "wand" like as a .410 is the 20 bore but for those of us built like the proverbial brick sh1thouse the 16 bore looks better proportioned.

So why am I against it for the OP? I think that for clay pigeon shooting it offers no advantage (the advantage it offers for the user is that the 16 bore weighs less than a 12 bore of otherwise the same exact model) as the OP presumably is going from car, to clubhouse, to stand on a clay layout. So no benefit at all for that lighter weight which would it be gained on a game or rough shoot carrying the gun over plough, up hill, down dale and etc.. Especially walked up grouse!

The disbenefits for clay shooting are a real and actual lack of anything of shot size smaller than English 7 and lack of a plaswad where that is permitted on the clay layout to be shot over. Simply now that people don't really shoot walked up snipe in great number (or participants) that nobody loads English 8 for the 16 bore and for Skeet you'll likely never find English 9. So to my mind the 16 bore is...with current cartridge availability....not at all a useful clay shooting gun.

And a 2 1/2" chambered 16 bore? Walk away is my advice. If you presently owned one I'd say keep it and use bismuth. But, heck, don't inflict that expense on yourself now, in 2023, by buying a 2 1/2" chambered 16 bore! 

Edited by enfieldspares

On 02/07/2023 at 13:07, Stimo22 said:

I use my W W Greener 16 bore for game and beaters days, the cartridges are not much more than 12 bore and the amount I use is no problem. 

IMG_0053.jpeg

I covet this gun. GBS