Spending money ?.

samboy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have practical experience of several people coming to end of life and wishing the thousands they have in the bank had been put to good use.

I personally am a collector of "nice things" whether I need them or not. I do get a lot of enjoyment out of my "things"

My first ambition when I got a mortgage was to pay it off as soon as possible , this I managed after ten years , we then went on a good holiday to the states for nearly three weeks and then once back to the grind I was already thinking about taking early retirement , I was still doing as much if not more shooting than most people but my guns were tools of the trade and they shot exactly the same as guns that were worth tens times more , I had packed up smoking and drinking and had a decent job , fairly good money and as much shooting as I wanted , from the age of 50 my mind was made up , I was going to retire at 60 , I had saved a few bob but having free time was far more important to me than having loads of money , the big day came and I finished on my 60th birthday , this was on a Friday and I was back the next day taking the guns from drive to drive , it have now been nearly 16 years and haven't had a single regret from the day I finished and if I knew then what I know now I might had called it a day a few years earlier.

I have never been without a car and I still do a fair bit of shooting , we are not rich by any means but we can live exactly how we want to live , and if you can do that , then you have reached your goals in life .    MM

My eldest sister and her husband worked very hard and paid into private pensions.  He died and she received his pensions.   Eventually covid got hold of her and she has ended up in a  care home.  The home charges her £4,500 a month.  She has been in there over two years and THEY HAVE BLED HER SAVINGS DOWN TO £23,000. They take her monthly pension and leave her a bit of pocket money.  They are looking at her house but I think that may have been protected somehow.  She did spend a lot of money on herself but no one knows how or when the end of the conveyor belt will come.  If she had blown the lot she would still be getting the same care in the same care home. If you've got more than the allowed amount you might as well spend it... or the system will take it.

4 minutes ago, Minky said:

My eldest sister and her husband worked very hard and paid into private pensions.  He died and she received his pensions.   Eventually covid got hold of her and she has ended up in a  care home.  The home charges her £4,500 a month.  She has been in there over two years and THEY HAVE BLED HER SAVINGS DOWN TO £23,000. They take her monthly pension and leave her a bit of pocket money.  They are looking at her house but I think that may have been protected somehow.  She did spend a lot of money on herself but no one knows how or when the end of the conveyor belt will come.  If she had blown the lot she would still be getting the same care in the same care home. If you've got more than the allowed amount you might as well spend it... or the system will take it.

sad fact..........have seen it happen so many times

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

I have practical experience of several people coming to end of life and wishing the thousands they have in the bank had been put to good use.

I personally am a collector of "nice things" whether I need them or not. I do get a lot of enjoyment out of my "things"

Me too. I’ve never had huge credit card debt etc but always bought the best I can afford, often seemingly above my pay grade so to speak (as others see it). 
But I’m a good saver, don’t drink or smoke and just wait until I can afford things before doing my research and  pulling the trigger….I do get pleasure out of owning nice things, and knowing if push comes to shove I’ve some considerable assets I could sell rather than ******* it up the wall like some  seem to. 
In fact it baffles me what some people spend their money on, that earn double what comes into our household but they’re always pleading poverty!

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

team tractor - small world. The aforesaid eldest lad, wife, two grandchildren and two dogs were in Weymouth harbour today. If you saw them, you might have remembered their large Bernese Mountain dog.

I didn’t see that dog 👍. Spotted a pair of bulldogs . Glad I’m not cleaning up after them 🤣

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Great stuff , keep us posted 👍

Will do 😎

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

team tractor - small world. The aforesaid eldest lad, wife, two grandchildren and two dogs were in Weymouth harbour today. If you saw them, you might have remembered their large Bernese Mountain dog.

How do they find the dog? My wife wants one but we read they are short lived, maybe up to around 6-8 years I think we read 🤔

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I went to a private primary school. 

I was in a state primary and couldn’t read or write, my dad put me in with the nuns who gave me a lot more 1:1 input (and a lot of beatings). 

You may think their achievement isn’t exactly that high but you can’t compare it as they could have achieved significantly less if they hadn’t had that education.

I know if my dad hadn’t done what he did there’s no way I’d of as well paid job etc as I have now, the ground work and basics taught even back then in primary school benefit me today. 

The amount of people I work with who can’t do basic maths, or lack basic English Language skills in professional jobs astounds me. 

Sorry Lloyd but your private education still didn’t teach you to use ‘have’ instead of ‘of’.

OB

They have spent many hours and a small fortune on dog training. The dog has a nice temperament, harmless enough, a useless guard dog and just does what it wants. I wouldn't have one. It is ten stone and a handsome looking dog, but that's it. It is coming up 8 and they have been lucky it has reached that age. My daughter in law thought they looked cute. 

We had GSDs, then Akitas, but she wanted something less sharp.

22 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Whenever i say to my pals i'm going to buy a new gun, bino's, watch etc they say why. You already have enough gear.

It seems not only do they not like spending their own money they don't seem to like me spending mine.

I'm an old boy now with everything paid for so why shouldn't i enjoy buying a few things that i fancy. 

No good dying and leaving it all. Any views on this ?.

Thanks all.

Crack on!

16 hours ago, Minky said:

Much the same with my dad , no savings but 4/5 pensions, not sure but there is a limit as to what they can take in saving , I think £12 000 is the threshold 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Much the same with my dad , no savings but 4/5 pensions, not sure but there is a limit as to what they can take in saving , I think £12 000 is the threshold 

In England they take everything until you have £23,000 left,that includes selling any house etc unless another person lives in it.In Wales they let each person keep £50,000.

It seems to be a recurring theme; start work early and save money,a bit of privation in your younger years. Pays off big time later in life. That is mostly what I did. Now I am retired and friends my age are not. Some have even mentioned they wish they had saved and worked harder earlier. But during those early years they had to hang with friends and drink beer.

On 08/07/2023 at 17:56, samboy said:

Some very wise words spoken above. But it's not me not wanting to spend my money its my pals.

I will tell them to go away in jerky movements and start having a spend up as soon as i see something i want.

Once again thank you all for some good advice 👍.

Either your pals are trying to guide you or they are unable to make the kind of purchases you might be considering.

I look at it like this (66 next month and retired earlier this year), there is going to come a time, maybe tomorrow maybe many years into the future when I'm going to have a few moments to consider that the end of the road is close.   I don't want to have any regrets at all, my father (who passed away when I was 30, aged 56) used to say 'life isn't a dress-rehearsal', so go out there and live it - buy the gun of your dreams (I did, twice!) if you wish or whatever takes your fancy.

3 hours ago, Aled said:

Guys this has been a really interesting read, nice one all.....one comment though i gave up smoking a few years ago now, and i used to enjoy smoking but now feel a total mug as to how much money i just...burnt!! 

I have that one too...not smoking but cars and bikes...yikes, gives me the shivers when I think about it.