Camper van or Tourer?

mgsontour

Hi all

Been thinking about this for a while as sick of foreign travel tbh and haven't explored the UK as in my younger days felt the need to travel as far as possible; as you do.

Anyhow, are there any seasoned users on here of either Campers/Tourers who can give me there pros and cons of ownership, my inclination is in favour for a tourer as then have my car to get about at the other end.

There will be me, the mrs and couple of dogs

Thanks in advance.

unless you are a dyed in the wool camper/tourer and a member of some sort of club...where you meet up regular...and talk squit.........i would suggest you first try renting a unit...for 2-3 times and see how it goes............

thats how i would start

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

unless you are a dyed in the wool camper/tourer and a member of some sort of club...where you meet up regular...and talk squit.........i would suggest you first try renting a unit...for 2-3 times and see how it goes............

thats how i would start

Nice to see you can be quite sensible once in a while!   :w00t:

If you have a large enough garden to store a caravan on, get the biggest you can tow with your vehicle and when you're not using it you may be able to rent it out to the government to house some of the boat people who keep arriving on our shores.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

thats how i would start

I would second this.

A lot depends on how much you want to drop on your chosen pleasure. 

a tourer gives you the freedom to use your car at the end but factor in a good half day getting properly set up and to take down either end. 

If it’s just weekends you are looking at a caravan is a right faf and you will probably find that with the cost if fuel and pitch fees you are probably better off renting a static caravan and having your home comforts (obviously this only really works out of the main holiday seasons)

we used to do a few weeks with our caravan and it was a godsend when we had the kids and money was tight, luckily I didn’t have to pay for storage  

Do I miss my caravan …. Yes  

do I miss the faf of setting up, usually straight after an epic drive and then a day at the end packing up…. No  

for weekends I would be looking at the camper route - probably a transit type and not the full motor home jobby  

4 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Hi all

Been thinking about this for a while as sick of foreign travel tbh and haven't explored the UK as in my younger days felt the need to travel as far as possible; as you do.

Anyhow, are there any seasoned users on here of either Campers/Tourers who can give me there pros and cons of ownership, my inclination is in favour for a tourer as then have my car to get about at the other end.

There will be me, the mrs and couple of dogs

Thanks in advance.

We lived in a 32 foot camper for a while but the  wife got herself pregnant. She was afraid that the government would frown on living in a camper with a kid so we moved back into one of our houses. But it was an Amazing experience in minimalism.  Our happy place was in that tiny pull behind.  When the kid goes to college we are going to get another one.  BFE8F8B5-98F7-4BDC-9757-B3D9D681FC4C.jpeg.fc3f1281f3d76edc0f8e9b8aef41032f.jpeg

Just remember that if you go the camper van way, you have two sets of everything to pay.

Two vehicle insurances, two MOTs, two servicing, two road tax, two sets of tyres etc.

When on site unless you tow your car you limited to walking or bus.

You have limited space in a camper van so get used to sitting in the drivers seat and a run to the bog in the middle of the night.

I don't see the point in camper vans, never have. Outrageously overpriced for a tiny caravan pushed onto a commercial van chassis.

A caravan in my opinion is the better choice, I've had one for 40+ years and use it regularly, just bought a new one in June.

18 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Been thinking about this for a while as sick of foreign travel tbh and haven't explored the UK as in my younger days felt the need to travel as far as possible

I've never owned either, and likely never will.  But, I would carefully consider the costs.

The UK is ruinously expensive and hell-bent on ripping tourists off, both foreign and domestic.  'Van sites appear to be in on this too.  I would be calculating the cost/night and based on the amount of realistic use you'll get out of one, and then factor in depreciation.  Suddenly a week on the 'Costa Packet' will look more reasonable.

And yes, if it has t***s, tyres or a hull, probably better to rent initially...

14 hours ago, ph5172 said:

a tourer gives you the freedom to use your car at the end but factor in a good half day getting properly set up and to take down either end. 

Wait, what?  Half a day to put some jacks down and put up an awning?  Really?

A mate of mine who owned a camper developed a 'pre-flight' checklist.  He said it drastically reduced his prep time and the amount of disorganised 'faff', thus lowering stress levels all round.

17 hours ago, RCB56 said:

If you have a large enough garden to store a caravan on, get the biggest you can tow with your vehicle

That is objectively terrible advice from a safety perspective.

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Wait, what?  Half a day to put some jacks down and put up an awning?  Really?

Yep. It’s a good couple of hours by the time you have parked up. Lugged the stuff out. Put up and sorted the awning properly. Carpet down and bits sorted in the awning. 
especially if you are also lugging kids bikes and the such. 

if your lucky to do it as a couple in a large fixed bed caravan then in less than an hour you can probably be sorted if you even need to have an awning at all

Tourer for us ,just two of us one terrier ,£300 year storage + £300 year insurance,£20-£35 a night pitch fees depends where we fancy extra fuel marginal 

set up without awning 20 mins with 40 mins ,use all year round apart from December, out a least once a month 

a lot cheaper than foreign holidays even our trip to France 🇫🇷 in it 

you cannot put a price on enjoying your leisure time,

Camper for me.

Was never jnterested and have built a few for my brother over the years (vw t4, t5 etc) 

But had a camper built in a Peugeot boxer and use it all the time. Was 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog. Now 1, 1 and dog.

Tomorrow afternoon me and the boy are driving off to an estate in Newbury ready for stalking on Sunday morning.

Park in a pub or lay by.

Proper fixed double bed and pull out 3/4 Which is a comfortable seat when not in use. Electric hook up or battery (including solar charging). Water hook up or tanks.

Shower, toilet, hot water, blown air heating, sink and hob, microwave, fridge, tv, swivel passenger seat, room to stand, room to move, jump in and go.

If we go to a site we have awning, carpet, loads of seats, tables, toys for kids, fishing gear....just getting a roof rack sorted for kayaks and a box for stuff that's not used much.

And as I've owned and driven the same size vans for 20 years I'm happy to drive it around anywhere at any time.

But that's just me.

Edd

15 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Just remember that if you go the camper van way, you have two sets of everything to pay.

Two vehicle insurances, two MOTs, two servicing, two road tax, two sets of tyres etc.

When on site unless you tow your car you limited to walking or bus.

You have limited space in a camper van so get used to sitting in the drivers seat and a run to the bog in the middle of the night.

I don't see the point in camper vans, never have. Outrageously overpriced for a tiny caravan pushed onto a commercial van chassis.

A caravan in my opinion is the better choice, I've had one for 40+ years and use it regularly, just bought a new one in June.

bloody shed puller :lol:

Tourer without a doubt. No extra road tax or MOT to worry about. Just hitch up and go.

I can't see how setting up a tourer when you get to site takes any longer than a campervan. They both need levelling and utilities plugged in. Unhitching takes about 30 seconds. 

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Tourer without a doubt. No extra road tax or MOT to worry about. Just hitch up and go.

I can't see how setting up a tourer when you get to site takes any longer than a campervan. They both need levelling and utilities plugged in. Unhitching takes about 30 seconds. 

if i had my time again i would proberly buy one of those american alumium cylinder shaped things....cant remember the name ..something like dreamliner....think they were started by a bunch of folk at the end of the 2nd world war   from guys who used to make areoplane bodies..

One of the farmers who's land i shot on  bought a vw camper van just used to disappear with it anywhere he fancied for days at a time , when his health failed his family put him in a home they had to take away his electric wheel chair as he used to try to get away all the time R.I.P. Duncan he was some man 

14 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Camper for me.

Was never jnterested and have built a few for my brother over the years (vw t4, t5 etc) 

But had a camper built in a Peugeot boxer and use it all the time. Was 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog. Now 1, 1 and dog.

Tomorrow afternoon me and the boy are driving off to an estate in Newbury ready for stalking on Sunday morning.

Park in a pub or lay by.

Proper fixed double bed and pull out 3/4 Which is a comfortable seat when not in use. Electric hook up or battery (including solar charging). Water hook up or tanks.

Shower, toilet, hot water, blown air heating, sink and hob, microwave, fridge, tv, swivel passenger seat, room to stand, room to move, jump in and go.

If we go to a site we have awning, carpet, loads of seats, tables, toys for kids, fishing gear....just getting a roof rack sorted for kayaks and a box for stuff that's not used much.

And as I've owned and driven the same size vans for 20 years I'm happy to drive it around anywhere at any time.

But that's just me.

Edd

Hello, if you get time to visit Newbury town there's a great butchers shop who make great pies 👍 it's located on the bridge, let us know how you get on with the stalking 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

if i had my time again i would proberly buy one of those american alumium cylinder shaped things....cant remember the name ..something like dreamliner....think they were started by a bunch of folk at the end of the 2nd world war   from guys who used to make areoplane bodies..

Airstream