Robot vacuum cleaner.

Robden

2 hours ago, Robden said:

Being a lazy so and so

Snap; however this may be your undoing!

IF you are the sort of tidy person who puts everything away, leaves nothing on the floor, is fairly 'minimalist', doesn't have rugs (with fringes) over the fitted carpets/wooden floors - then it may well work for you.

However, IF you are the sort of person who leaves things around (shoes with loose laces, magazines, books etc, TV remote, dog's toy(s), mat etc.) and has separate rugs on the floor (which have fringes/tassles), moves the waste basket around, has standard reading lamps, and generally isn't very tidy - then it probably won't work well. 

I am not tidy, like rugs on the floor, occasionally kick my shoes off and leave them lying around - etc.  I doubt it would work for me.

2 hours ago, countryman said:

My daughter has one, overall she likes it, it does sometimes get stuck and sends a message to her phone telling her, my wife has one called Chris , it does miss some places but is reliable 😂

Chris.

🤣 - Instead of ironing pants - put a pair on!!😁

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

My wife has one  "ME"

Same for you Dunks!!!

And remember - do as I say and not as I do - right - wheres the Dyson?

Just derailing slightly , we have just bought a new Shark vacuum after having various Dysons over the years and after using it for a couple of weeks , in my opinion it knocks spots off the Dysons , I am really impressed with the amount of dust it pick up from the carpets after thinking they were already clean , only slight drawback is they are a bit harder to push around , this is where a strong wife come in handy :lol:.

3 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Our Shark lasted 8 months before it broke.  It still ran but case and tube both fractured - getting it replaced was a nightmare but the replacement failed in a similar fashion after an even shorter period.

That’s unusual. We got a battery powered model ( with dog hairs in mind!) and it’s been great in the two years we’ve had it. 
I’ve always rated the Henry we have but it was always a chore in our house with a lead and balancing the thing on the stairs. The Shark is just simplicity itself and makes hoovering simple. 

Just now, Scully said:

That’s unusual. We got a battery powered model ( with dog hairs in mind!) and it’s been great in the two years we’ve had it. 
I’ve always rated the Henry we have but it was always a chore in our house with a lead and balancing the thing on the stairs. The Shark is just simplicity itself and makes hoovering simple. 

Perhaps they have improved since we had a cordless one about 6 years ago (although reading the reviews I doubt it)  We ended up with the Vax having tried others   -  so far so good.

Just now, Scully said:

I’ve always rated the Henry we have but it was always a chore in our house with a lead and balancing the thing on the stairs.

I have a Nilfisk (similar to a Henry) which is excellent, and the solution to stairs is to buy an extra long hose - which is around £30 I think.  Maked doing the strairs a doddle and useful elsewhere.  It does have a lead ........ but at 1.3 KW it wouldn't last long on a battery!  It is, however VERY, VERY powerful - and spits in the eyes of EU regs, which makes it priceless. 

I have had both Dyson (ridiculously expensive, made of very brittle plastic and spares cost the earth) and a VAX - which was allergic to dog hairs and so completely useless for anywhere the dog went, though to be fair, the batteries did last ages (and it came with two) - FAR longer than the Dyson.

I also have an older Miele which is also excellent,  and lives upstairs to do the bedrooms.  It's rather small bag fills very quickly in the downstairs rooms that see Labrador occupation!

A robot vacuum would have a hard time around our old farmhouse, what with its multi level floors, raised door thresholds, mats and far too much furniture and general stuff about.

On the general subject of vacuum cleaners in general we tried various VAX & Dyson machines but they were all plastic and broke easily. We bought a Shark cordless two or three years ago but the collecting spaces on that are fed via small slots and awkward angles which quickly gets clogged with dog hair and the so called anti hair clogging brushes are likewise susceptible to clogging up with long hair constantly shed by the human female members of the family! The best by far have been the Kirby G machines that are rather like the old metal Hoover uprights in that they are made of cast aluminium with all the bits replaceable. They cost a small fortune new but can be found at reasonable price on Fleabay and come with an array of attachments, wet wash shampoo stuff etc. Second best is our inherited Henry vacuum that my mother bought before she shuffled off this mortal coil over ten years ago back in the days before vacuums had to be manufactured to comply with maximum power ratings.

Edited by Miserableolgit

32 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Perhaps they have improved since we had a cordless one about 6 years ago (although reading the reviews I doubt it)  We ended up with the Vax having tried others   -  so far so good.

Yeah, it was a toss up between the Shark and Vax for us to be honest. 

29 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a Nilfisk (similar to a Henry) which is excellent, and the solution to stairs is to buy an extra long hose - which is around £30 I think.  Maked doing the strairs a doddle and useful elsewhere.  It does have a lead ........ but at 1.3 KW it wouldn't last long on a battery!  It is, however VERY, VERY powerful - and spits in the eyes of EU regs, which makes it priceless. 

I have had both Dyson (ridiculously expensive, made of very brittle plastic and spares cost the earth) and a VAX - which was allergic to dog hairs and so completely useless for anywhere the dog went, though to be fair, the batteries did last ages (and it came with two) - FAR longer than the Dyson.

I also have an older Miele which is also excellent,  and lives upstairs to do the bedrooms.  It's rather small bag fills very quickly in the downstairs rooms that see Labrador occupation!

If I had to have a plug in 240 mains, it would be Miele; everyone I’ve used ( and I use a lot of various makes in my job ) is superb kit. 

We have used a shark cordless for the last 3 or so years. 
I hoover nearly every day. 
I treated it to a new set of generic filters and it has improved it massively l do find that it clogs quite easily though and like other people I’m constantly cutting hair from the brush bar! The battery is also showing it’s age but lasts just enough to spin through the whole house  

we do have a bissell commercial upright that lives in the garage now but that thing is phenomenal and knocks spots off most others. 
Its heavy and no use for stairs mind!

Having lugged a vacuum similar to a Henry up and down stairs for years I decided to get one of those lightweight battery jobbies.

I bought a battery Hoover H-Free 100 three years ago and it is an absolute dream to use. Picks up really well and the head bit

detaches to use in small places. No problems whatsoever with it.

I hoover round every other day and am surprised at how much dust accumulates over that period. Don`t think that a robot vacuum would work in our tiny abode, too much clutter/furniture.:hmm:

Edited by Old Boggy