Job Quandry

discobob

So, I have a Job offer

Current Job - X Salary - 35 hours - on call permanently for an area being the Subject Matter Expert but as I do that job well - very rarely happens, and on call one week in three to help another team out 😞 - about 5 or so hours a month overtime - Time in Lieu and overtime is paid - No limit on Sick (not that I have needed it - but....) - to make a salary of roughly Y 

New Job - Y salary - but 40 hours per week - with unpaid overtime when needed, and only 10 days sick pay in one year and then SSP

The new job appears to be a better fit technically for me and the people I interviewed with seemed very agreeable.

I am stuck in a real quandary on this.... I do want to get out of my current job - but being the wrong side of mid 50's the sick pay does really put me off, along with trading a paid on call and limited but paid overtime, for an extra 20 hours a month....

What are other people's thoughts on this?

I should quantify a bit further.

We had our first pay rise of 3% in 4 years this year with the current company. The company has been taken over this year and we are still morphing - in that I haven't a clue what my job will go like - it could get worse or it could get better....

The on-call is in my contract - but what that will be in the future who knows (i.e. a take home pay cut)

Depends on what salary X is compared to salary Y. 

Is the difference in salary Y (assuming an increase in the new job) equal to greater than salary X when you base salary X on a 40 hour week instead of 35.

That being said, if you don't have any gripes with your current job and you're perfectly happy with it then there is no real reason to leave other than the grass appears greener etc.. 

Would you be able to return to your current job should the new one turn out to be a complete shambles or would leaving burn that bridge and leave you stranded in the new job? 

Given that you are the wrong side of 50 I would edge on the side of less working hours and more life enjoyment. The time in your life to concentrate to career goals is gone and your focus should be on doing all the things you can do now that you may not be able to do at 65. 

Depends on how the 35 vs 40 hrs is enforced, I've worked places that were nominally 35 but don't you try and leave early on a Friday, vs places that were 40 but was easy to duck out early to go shooting as long as the hours put in amounted to 40 at the end of the week.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

My mantra was always, ‘the less time you can spend at work the better’. 

On that basis, new job.  Stuff this on-call nonsense.  Been there, done that, good sense of job satisfaction when you can resolve an issue, but not worth the sacrifice in hours.

Some businesses have the ‘revert to SSP’ in the policy, but in practice they look after good folks and pay full whack if they get genuinely I’ll.

May be worth going in with it as a negotiating point … perhaps nothing to lose?

You could also consider an income insurance policy in case you get sick.

1 hour ago, Poor Shot said:

Depends on what salary X is compared to salary Y. 

10k ish

equal to greater than salary X when you base salary X on a 40 hour week instead of 35.

3k more

That being said, if you don't have any gripes with your current job and you're perfectly happy with it then there is no real reason to leave other than the grass appears greener etc.. 

trouble is I am stagnating mentally in this job.

Would you be able to return to your current job should the new one turn out to be a complete shambles or would leaving burn that bridge and leave you stranded in the new job? 

I would say the latter - especially with new overlords

30 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Depends on how the 35 vs 40 hrs is enforced,

They are quite relaxed on it here though - and holidays are by the hour - not the day - no idea in the new job...

31 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Stuff this on-call nonsense

That was part of the attraction to this new job - but working an extra 20 hours a month sort of knocks that a bit....

When I go into the office it will be a 12 hour day if I take a lunch break...

15 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Some businesses have the ‘revert to SSP’ in the policy, but in practice they look after good folks and pay full whack if they get genuinely I’ll.

May be worth going in with it as a negotiating point … perhaps nothing to lose?

You could also consider an income insurance policy in case you get sick.

Looked at the policies - they have said that that they currently have someone (a long term employee) on sick and he is being paid - but why put the long term - is it something you get after 5, 10 years. No Sickness in probation period, and can only go off what the contract states at the end of the day....

Just now, Smokersmith said:

Businesses want good employees … I’d give negotiation a try …

One further thought - I have a pre-existing lifelong condition that I have to think about - I have a little passenger on my brain - it isn't the C but it does begin with a T....This may have an impact on Sickness cover....

I think you already know your answer there Bob. 

While you may feel that you are stagnating, you seem to have more reasons against taking the new job than you do for the new job. 

You could always use the offer of a new position as leverage with your existing and negotiate some changes to make the existing position match the new offer a little more. At this moment in time it is very much an employees market and if your management has any sense then they will see that altering your compensation and job role to match a new offer will be in many orders of magnitude cheaper than recruiting your replacement. Sadly, managers are often very poor and unsuited to their positions and will often watch you walk out the door rather than entertain a pay increase.

Depends on the salary difference but also your base salary. 

If you’re earning base salary £30k at the moment and the new job is £10k more then it is a huge increase. 

Not so much if your base salary is massive. 

I would want to be taking on a decent pay rise if I was moving company to take that risk and give up the current security.  

I also assume you have to be on probation for a set time (usually 6-12 months) where they can dismiss you without serious cause if it’s not “working out”. 

If the new job is £10k more, but you were adding £10k onto your base salary in your current job with overtime and enhancements then you are giving up the security and taking the risk for very little reward. 

I think you need to walk.  Base salary is king, and no on call is the cherry on top, I doubt you'll notice the extra five hours a week.

It does sound like you haven't factored the commute in though?  How does that stack up.

As for sick pay, no point worrying about it, IMHO.  If your 'passenger' starts causing you grief, having less money in your pocket should be the least of your worries.  Health is wealth, as they say.

Which job will cause you the least amount of stress?

I used to earn very good money, but the stress factor was immense, my doctor advised me that it was damaging my health, i quit my job, work for a huge amount less,have great boss's the job is technical enough to keep me interested, but it doesn't stress me out (well a tiny bit at times but not adrenaline inducing stress like i used to have) and i think i have a good work/life balance.

I've recently moved from a salaried position of 40 hours per week at ÂŁ47 per year. Unlimited unpaid 'on call' overtime. Constant stress and managing other people. Did this for the last ten years until I could not cope with the pressure any more. I now work for the local council for ÂŁ23,250 per year. Monday to Friday, no oncall and can choose if I want overtime or not. I have no pressure or stress. SWMBO and other family have commented that I am now the happy outgoing person that I used to be. Take my advice take a position that genuinely makes you happy over the need to make lots of money. Good luck with your choice

17 minutes ago, yates said:

I've recently moved from a salaried position of 40 hours per week at ÂŁ47 per year. Unlimited unpaid 'on call' overtime. Constant stress and managing other people. Did this for the last ten years until I could not cope with the pressure any more. I now work for the local council for ÂŁ23,250 per year. Monday to Friday, no oncall and can choose if I want overtime or not. I have no pressure or stress. SWMBO and other family have commented that I am now the happy outgoing person that I used to be. Take my advice take a position that genuinely makes you happy over the need to make lots of money. Good luck with your choice

Totally agree , a man after my own heart , the op is getting close to 60 so retirement is in sight , if it was me it would be all about job satisfaction and not the income side of it and I certainly wouldn't be worrying myself if I was going to get long term pay if I was off sick , take life as it come and don't let money be the main factor .

Disco Bob it’s a hard choice but just go with what you feel is right for you  asking forum members is getting it off of your chest but you will only end up more  confused  you are happy where you are but it’s been taken over and you think it will change for the worst  dilemma no 1 the new job has no sick pay etc and you sre worried you might have time off with the little man in your head  dilemma no 2 my advice  is stay where you are others advice change jobs  but it all comes down to your own gut feeling whatever happens good luck . Rob 

Edited by nobbyathome

Difficult.  :w00t:

I have seen so many people move jobs, only to return within a year or two as they had found out they were far better off where they were.

And those are the lucky ones who can get back in, numerous others never got back!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.  :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, an update is required from me on this. After receiving, in effect, a demotion at work due to “restructuring” it made my mind up - so today I submitted my notice to my current job. 

Also, is there an employment solicitor on here as I am going for constructive dismissal. I received no consultation prior to being called into an online meeting at which point I was handed over to a new manager from the company that bought us out and the move was with immediate effect