Jacks Final pigeon Day In The Hide.

simon6ppc

I had a Black Lab exactly the same as Jack  , well all of mine had been Black , the one I am refering to was also 14 and he was called Toby , his back legs were getting weak and his last day at Pigeons was also on a stubble field , the only difference was I had a 18 month old Lab to keep him company , he made a few easy retrieves and had to sit down after each retrieve , I knew and I believe he knew that was going to be his last day out with me with a gun , a couple of days later he had reached the journeys end and we sadly parted company , his grave is on the estate where I worked and very often I go out of my way to pay him a visit and I am sure he keep an eye on me when we are out after Pigeons and on a days game shooting , mine have all had a good life and so have yours so they cannot ask for anything more than that , great video's by the way .  :good:    MM

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I had a Black Lab exactly the same as Jack  , well all of mine had been Black , the one I am refering to was also 14 and he was called Toby , his back legs were getting weak and his last day at Pigeons was also on a stubble field , the only difference was I had a 18 month old Lab to keep him company , he made a few easy retrieves and had to sit down after each retrieve , I knew and I believe he knew that was going to be his last day out with me with a gun , a couple of days later he had reached the journeys end and we sadly parted company , his grave is on the estate where I worked and very often I go out of my way to pay him a visit and I am sure he keep an eye on me when we are out after Pigeons and on a days game shooting , mine have all had a good life and so have yours so they cannot ask for anything more than that , great video's by the way .  :good:    MM

nice post marshman

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

nice post marshman

Everyone who have owned a working dog , or any dog come to that will know that one day your partnership will come to an end , the people I know who you shot with and picked up always spoke highly of you and your picking up dogs plus the condition they were kept in , so you would know it's a terrible loss when that fateful day come when you and your best friend go to the vets for the last time , it is hard I know but I have always had another dog to take it's place and although you miss your last dog dearly that life have to carry one .

I am now in the situation I have never been before and my one at the moment is coming up to nine , still very fit but now showing signs of stiffness after a good half days work , I know when our shoots start in early November he can do a whole day but I also know he will be stiff as a board last thing that night when he get taken around the crescent for a pee , in the past I would had bought a pup this coming Spring and if the ole one is good for another year then my new young one would be getting near the age when he can take over , now I cannot make my mind up about buying a pup as although I am still reasonably fit I am not so sure about taking a pup on with the big 8 0 fast approuching , so I have got to get through this season first and then I will weigh up the condition of both myself and the dog and go on from there . 

All the best     MM

• 2 weeks later...

Simon Jack has earned his retirement through work and companionship. He will be missed for both I am sure.

It the hardest part of the years together and you know at some point you may have to look into those eyes and know you may have the hardest Decision to make ! Upsetting prospect I know but that’s our part of the unwritten legal agreement! You owe it to Jack to make that call when you know your mate is ready !

You have to look at the endless hour of happiness a lot of yours with some vidios to look back on ! you have had fabulous times together - and focus on remembering that .

But for know enjoyment is enjoying jacks retirement together!

Agriv8

7 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Simon Jack has earned his retirement through work and companionship. He will be missed for both I am sure.

It the hardest part of the years together and you know at some point you may have to look into those eyes and know you may have the hardest Decision to make ! Upsetting prospect I know but that’s our part of the unwritten legal agreement! You owe it to Jack to make that call when you know your mate is ready !

You have to look at the endless hour of happiness a lot of yours with some vidios to look back on ! you have had fabulous times together - and focus on remembering that .

But for know enjoyment is enjoying jacks retirement together!

Agriv8

Ye cheers pal you are right.