Vernon Kay

Gordon R

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has managed to listen to Vernon Kay for a whole show. I appreciate that anyone who had to follow Ken Bruce might struggle, but Kay is dire. Aside from the meaningless drivel that he spouts between records, his music knowledge is truly appalling.

After a mention of the Bee Gees, he couldn't stop himself displaying his extensive "knowledge" - proclaiming the Bee Gees as Maurice, Robin and Andy. As Andy was never a member, it could have irked Barry - the only survivor.

Today he described the lead singer of the Power Station as Robert Palmer - a Geordie. This must have come as a shock to inhabitants of Batley, where Robert Palmer was actually born.

How did he get the job?

Zoe Ball is the reason I started listening to radio 2…… must’ve been the very late 1990’s and my last years in my 20’s, she took over the breakfast show on radio 1 and I had to start looking for a new station to listen to in order to avoid her babble. She’s now the reason why I stopped listening to Radio 2, the minute she started on the R2 breakfast show.  Seems like a default that they migrate them over from Radio 1 because they’re no longer ‘down for the kids’ irrespective of whether they are suitable/half decent.  

Edited by Jonty

5 hours ago, Jonty said:

Zoe Ball is the reason I started listening to radio 2…… must’ve been the very late 1990’s and my last years in my 20’s, she took over the breakfast show on radio 1 and I had to start looking for a new station to listen to in order to avoid her babble. She’s now the reason why I stopped listening to Radio 2, the minute she started on the R2 breakfast show.  Seems like a default that they migrate them over from Radio 1 because they’re no longer ‘down for the kids’ irrespective of whether they are suitable/half decent.  

I'm with you on this one

I don’t listen to R2 so much nowadays and am really struggling to find a station or rather a presenter that I enjoy listening to, ever since Wogan hung up his boots. 
I enjoyed Steve Wright but the incessant talking over music and fading it out prematurely started to get on my nerves, and I couldn’t stand Chris Evans. 
Zoe Ball is ok in very small doses, but as soon as Strictly is mentioned or she goes all lovey that’s me done.

I quite like Vernon Kay; I think he’s down to Earth and quite amusing, has some good banter with the audience, and that’s what I want.  I haven’t listened avidly admittedly and find myself despite the ads’ attracted more and more to classic fm! 😳
Maybe I’m just getting old. 
I want someone who makes me laugh to present my music, has good craic and is just one of the lads or lasses. Kay is the closest to fit my bill. 

Up untill retiring I had R2 on in my lorry all the time. I think it went downhill when Jimmy Young left and jeremy whine took over. Most of my drivers referred to him as CD time.

Since retiring I've found a commercial station with music I like, it let's a couple of records play in full, a bit of inane babble then music again. News every hour but it's only available on digital. Fortunately it plays in my car. I think it's called Magic, I just leave the radio tuned into it.

RIP anything BBC.

TBH, personally not interested in any of the radio babble, local BBC just as dire. Commercial is just as bad with the ear splitting mindless adverts?

Seemingly on most radio a constant rotation of the same talentless erks trying to persuade that competition is interesting?

Traffic noise has more variation?🤣

37 minutes ago, stu64 said:

these days I listen to internet radio with no d.j. at all, just constant music and no adverts. classic hits uk, teenage kicks radio or 70s and 80s stuff.

This - It's 2023, why on earth subject yourself to the inane chatter and 'slebs' plugging their latest project.  Podcasts for the car.

11 hours ago, Jonty said:

Zoe Ball is the reason I started listening to radio 2…… must’ve been the very late 1990’s and my last years in my 20’s, she took over the breakfast show on radio 1 and I had to start looking for a new station to listen to in order to avoid her babble. She’s now the reason why I stopped listening to Radio 2, the minute she started on the R2 breakfast show.  

Agreed, she is awful!

I don't mind Vernon tbh, but appreciate he will not be everyone's cup of tea

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes, on at work when i am running the shift!

I don't have DAB in the car.

I have it on the radio alarm AM,,,, on the radio in the kitchen,,,, then in the van,,,, then on my site radio,,,, then in my van going home,,,, then back on in my kitchen until I go to bed, then,,,, it's on a one hour snooze until I nod off 😆🤣

Don't go near BBC radio,,,, or anything else for that matter 😁 errrr, except for Folkestone/Dover area where the dab signal isn't great,,,, philistines 😲🙈🤣