Little Things That Make Your Day ?

marsh man

Compared with some of the members , I recon I live a fairly quiet life , don't smoke , drink or go on holidays , but to me my lifestyle is quite contented , been retired now for a good many years and apart from the odd day out my day start off with taking my dog out for an hour , a bit of breakfast and read the local paper when I get home then potter about till early lunch , the afternoons are normally mine unless we have made the odd arrangement to go out , If the weather is kind I then head off out again to either go for a walk , see if there are any Pigeons about or two to three hours shooting , so what small thing is enough to make my day , well yesterday I got a email from my grand daughter who is in the land of Oz with several photos of there new camper van and local scenes , then this morning on my walk I saw a Kingfisher in all it's glory , this was quickly followed by a small covey of English Partridges which I hadn't seen on these marshes for years so my day was made before I even got back home

So , to some people seeing these birds would had been of no interest but to me they really made my day .

So what make your day ? apart from getting up to face another day :good:

Hearing the young owl screeching for its  parents on a farm that no longer needs to put rat poison down ! As I know have the rats under control!

my spanner spaniel not being a spanner for 5 minutes.

any day that I am in the wife’s good books.

Agriv8

Edited by Agriv8

It’s always my early morning dog walk. Just me and the pooches and rarely anyone else about.

I get to go on my own because nobody else wants to be out that early. Something special about just me and the dogs. It’s a little bit different at this time of year as it’s so dark but I still rarely use a torch. More often than not it sets me up for the day, unless the little swines roll in fox scat or some other foul substance, then I’m grumpy.

up at 6am then off to check poults check feeders put a few bags out if needed very often see a Kingfisher on the brook start crying when i see the Gosshawks have taken another couple of poults . Then off to check mole traps then feed the flight ponds then normally fall asleep in the chair then if i got time and weather is good out with the rifle 

Again, morning dog walk, down to the river.  Usually see a few roe deer in the water meadows, often a few duck and swans on the river, occasionally an oystercatcher, heron or egret.  Rarely a kingfisher.  When the timing is right, there is quite often a barn owl covering the water meadows and in breeding season I hear the curlews calling (though rarely see them).

Sometimes the morning walk is spoiled because sadly these days, I not infrequently see fresh fly tipping and nitrous oxide cylinders (have been up to 40 large ones), which gives me a task reporting and arranging for the council to collect -  which they are quite good at doing.

Many THANKS for some excellent replies and the early morning dog walk seem a common start for many people , for the countryman they see a lot of wildlife that possibly the town folk wouldn't notice and how often on the forum do we hear around early April they had seen there first Swallow , then they have heard the first sound of the Cuckoo , the first Swift and so on , this sort of thing continue throughout the year and if they are into shooting then you can add a lot more to the list.

Thankfully I have never suffered from depression or any kind of mental health and t b h all of my mates who had the same interests that I have were the same , we all had fairly manuel jobs and in the early days liked a pint on a Friday night like everyone else and then on the Saturdays the day was spent in the countryside or on the estuary , apart from giving the drink a miss this interest have continued throughout my life , even walking the same route most days you see something new of interest like this morning I saw a small skein of around 20 Brent Geese , these were very early down this way but in the North of the county there are big numbers and no doubt the ones I saw were blown down here ahead of the expected gale forecasted .

What with everything going on in the world at the moment with wars and the pandemic we all need somewhere to get away from it for a short while and what better place to be in is the countryside .

Have a good day everyone :good:

Since I retired (2017) my day starts between 0530 and 0630. After a lifetime of being up at early O'clock I can't break the habit. Feed and walk my doggies, rarely do I see anyone and that suits me. Home and do breakfast for me and the boss and watch as many minutes as I can stomach of breakfast tv news. Rest of the day depends on hospital/drs appointments or visits. If its a shooting day pack the car. If not maybe potter around in my workshop mending or making.

Nap in the afternoon if not out shooting and sometimes my biggest decision is what to do for tea.

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

lifting the phone and actually speaking to a human first off.......my stress levels totally drop to zero

seeing and hearing skiens of geese going over the house

Every time I hear the geese flying over I have to go outside and look. I don’t even go fowling, it’s just something about the noise that stirs up an instinctive response. At least it amuses my better half….

22 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

Every time I hear the geese flying over I have to go outside and look. I don’t even go fowling, it’s just something about the noise that stirs up an instinctive response. At least it amuses my better half….

when they are low enough ....you can hear them chatting to each other..

2 hours ago, Sussexboy said:

A good mate of mine passed away several years , he was a good ole boy and done a fair bit of fowling , he was never happier than when he was down the marsh and just passing away the time of day while doing next to nothing  , he had a good turn out at his funeral and when he was wheeled to the front of the church the music was from 1000s of geese coming into the roosting grounds , the sound was turned up and it sounded as if they were up into the rafters , those who were there that had never heard geese calling out must had wondered what on earth the noise was , after all the nitty gritty the music got back to normal with Louis Armstrong's What A Wonderful World , a brilliant send off if you ask me .:good:

1 hour ago, adzyvilla said:

A little thing that makes my day is getting to work and finding out that no extra **** ups have occurred since I left the previous evening.

Ah , Thanks for reminding me , I totally forgot that some people still have to go to work and take on board the pressures that go with it :lol:

I like the easy life now i am retired plenty time to do the stuff i like a busy day might be routing about in charity shops finding a good hunting or shooting book LOL  , but what really pleases me is when the kids come and i cook for them and play with the grandkids ,like  yesterday it took 3 cars to get the family to a pumpkin patch and the amount we spent on food was ridiculous but the afternoon i spent in the play area with the grandson made my day