Ideas on catering for 16 guests

Bobba

Mrs B and I thought it would be a good idea to invite friends to a pre Xmas afternoon gathering with food. We’re now wondering what to provide.

Summer gatherings are fine. BBQ plus salads, baguettes etc. But winter suggests, but not exclusively, warm foods. On the day we would like to keep cooking to a minimum. This suggests a couple of different casseroles prepared in advance with limited veg cooked on the day (new spuds, peas etc) perhaps even a tray of chicken drumsticks (tandoori / sticky spicy)

So, for all you foodies out there we would welcome your ideas on foods for the day. Many thanks.

Cheese is good...Waitrose for selection French, British, Dutch and etc.,tp go with it selection of breads, biscuits, pickles, tomatoes, grapes and the guests can mingle and cut and come again. Confit duck legs, chicken legs...not drumsticks...and maybe a cold slicing joint of rare cooked beef plus horseradish sauce or hot loin of pork and apple sauce or safer as it won't drip stuffing with the crackling already removed, or a hot turkey crown, and cut up with white and wholemeal bread cobs and butter. That way folk can rake what they want and no cooking! Save the stove for heating mulled wine on arrival and real coffee at the end before they go home. Heck that sounds such a good spread I'm tempted to ask if you've room for a seventeenth guest?

Edited by enfieldspares

I would be getting all the venison shanks & shoulders I had out of the freezer and cooking very low and slow, either a casserole, maybe with suet dumplings on the top, or a chilli or sticky BBQ https://www.inspiredtaste.net/52080/texas-red-chili/  https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pulled-beef-brisket served with tortillas/buns

I have made two Cottage Pies, each feeding around 10 people generously.  One is plain mined beef with potato topping.  The other is 'spiced' minced beef (with chilli and Indian style spices, and tinned tomatoes in quantity to suit taste) and a potato topping.  Both made a day or two before and warmed up on the day.  Serve with fresh boiled seasonal veggies like cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower, leeks, carrots, swede, (frozen) peas or runner beans.

I have made these several times, even made at home and served 500 miles away in Scotland, and always popular.

Depends what you like. For my father's friends (he's aged now) it's hot buffet of  a joint of gammon and a turkey crown, new potatoes, carrots and peas. Green beans instead of peas if the guests have enough teeth between them and a joint of beef as well if there are lots of people. Soup for starters and a choice of puddings. This requires a sit down though. If you want a fork meal then stew and mash is the way to go. 

Edited by ehb102

Large meat with potato topping pies.

Meat level open to choice.

Straight potato or mixed with sweet potato topping with or without horseradish/mint mixed in.

veg various layered between the two if required.

all fork/spoon dishes ideal for buffet, just heat and eat on the day.

Edited by Yellow Bear

A cassoulet or a couple to feed so many with good bread to soak up all the juices, reasonable wine to accompany it and then a large cheese board with more good bread and various crackers. Followed by a VERY good bottle of Port.

If you get it right they will still be talking about it next year.

If you get it wrong then you are HISTORY.

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

go down the fish & chip shop..and get a box full.............few bots of vimto......have a night off 

Jesus, you must be made of money in deepest Norfolk. It would cost a small fortune catering for a group of people if purchasing from the chippy in our village. Two fish, one portion of chips and peas cost me £23.00 last week🤨

2 hours ago, yates said:

Jesus, you must be made of money in deepest Norfolk. It would cost a small fortune catering for a group of people if purchasing from the chippy in our village. Two fish, one portion of chips and peas cost me £23.00 last week🤨

£276 quid.....

what on earth has happened to this world...:w00t:.............