billytheghillie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Most news reports I have read lack any detail of how it happened, all it says is the two woman were friends and the gun went of accidentally while she was standing next to her.

I would imagine her injuries are severe and life threatening, only hope the young girl pulls through.

Few more details here but still leaves a lot of unanswered questions….https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenager-fighting-life-after-being-31598426

Edited by old'un

First thoughts are with the girl and her family. I hope she recovers, but hard to imagine it will be a full recovery. 

A measured response from local councillor, Alastair Redmond -  "Accidents like these are rare and firearms operators are very professional and safe in their conduct."

I am not sure I would have been as understanding. Two shots fired at a fellow competitor - waist height. Questions will obviously be asked as to how a loaded gun was pointed at a fellow shooter. I can't think of any reasonable explanation.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I am not sure I would have been as understanding. Two shots fired at a fellow competitor - waist height. Questions will obviously be asked as to how a loaded gun was pointed at a fellow shooter. I can't think of any reasonable explanation.

After the first shot was fired the gun was at waist height and went off a second time.

just goes to show how things are changed in stories. 

Regardless of the changing facts I wish the IP the best recovery possible, and also feel for the person who caused the injury. 

hello, i read it was loaded with 2 cartridges and after one shot  the gun when off by itself  but it was pointing to the young lady , it raises the point of why was the gun not then made safe by opening with the top lever and dropping the barrels after the first shot away from anyone 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

14 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Not sure I feel sorry for the person who did the shooting. Whilst I am sure she is upset, I can't comprehend how a loaded gun was pointed at a fellow shooter.

For the want of safe gun handling and muzzle awareness.

A few scenarios have crossed my mind in an attempt to understand how this could happen, but they all include a loaded gun pointed at someone ( twice if I read it right ) and I can’t understand why that would happen. 
Only those involved will know. 
Awful awful incident. 

I have seen many instances of unsafe handling at clay grounds, commonly shooters will step back in the cage and turn to face away from the bar to open their gun so they can eject straight into the bin, also in the event of a mis fire all common sense goes out of the window with shooters coming fully out of the cage with a closed gun generally as described "at waist height" saying "it didn`t go off", perhaps this was one such instance?

2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

I have seen many instances of unsafe handling at clay grounds, commonly shooters will step back in the cage and turn to face away from the bar to open their gun so they can eject straight into the bin, also in the event of a mis fire all common sense goes out of the window with shooters coming fully out of the cage with a closed gun generally as described "at waist height" saying "it didn`t go off", perhaps this was one such instance?

I see bad practices all too often but this is one. I never understand why people think it's ok to swing their guns around then break the barrels to eject into the bin. Many times I've seen people fire one shot then go straight into this automated process. Who knows what happened, but if simple safety rules were followed sadly it never would have.

Both young ladies will be in my thoughts tonight - horrific for both in different ways 😢

When reffing a comp - I had to reprimand someone who was putting cartridges in before getting on the peg - who had previously been military - but only a pistol carrier (if you get what I mean).

Had an instance at a registered sporting recently - the young woman had shot both barrels but turned around with the gun still closed - my range voice made an appearance and she quickly faced the right way 😞

16 hours ago, Scully said:

A few scenarios have crossed my mind in an attempt to understand how this could happen, but they all include a loaded gun pointed at someone ( twice if I read it right ) and I can’t understand why that would happen. 
Only those involved will know. 
Awful awful incident. 

Is it possible it might have been a semi auto if the first cartridge goes off finger still on trigger then the second will fire also it could be one of them arranged days for people who don't shoot just a thought 

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

Is it possible it might have been a semi auto if the first cartridge goes off finger still on trigger then the second will fire also it could be one of them arranged days for people who don't shoot just a thought 

THIS can happen with ANY gun  !

Instantly, semi auto's get the blame   🙄

We are ALL second guessing, and I doubt the full story will ever be heard, unless someone living near the ground and posts on here, learns the full story. We ALL see it at grounds every week, but how many will challenge the behaviour  ? Only this week I had occasion to speak to someone regarding 'trying to eject the fired cases into the bin' !  Last week it was 2 newcomers wearing their bloomin guns as scarves, except they were holding the stocks, with the barrels facing backwards. WHY are people afraid to use a gunslip ? They take their gun out of the slip in the car park, then chuck it in the car. My guns are immaculate in condition, due in no small part to their being slipped, unless in use.

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

i thinking if the first go off with  the recoil with finger still on trigger will fire the second shot 

I almost exclusively use a semi auto and have done so for over 30 years, the scenario you describe has never happened to me nor have I heard of it happening to anyone else. The probability is that it was simply a complete lack of safe handling.