Recommended Red Wine

greenshank1

26 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Depends what you like normally but above are a few good options to go for, however, if you pour it into a decanter first it generally improves most wines regardless of price; enjoy and don't run out. Merry Xmas

this................an old trick of london eateries.....shake it up pour it out ...stir it ...pour it back into the bottle and charge 5 times the normal purchase price....

it does work.......all to do with oxydisation...so im told.....its like letting it breath...but more of a gasp after a 100 yard dash

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

this................an old trick of london eateries.....shake it up pour it out ...stir it ...pour it back into the bottle and charge 5 times the normal purchase price....

it does work.......all to do with oxydisation...so im told.....its like letting it breath...but more of a gasp after a 100 yard dash

Yes it does work and yes it is done in many places to speed things up.

I use a large glass jug and you are just getting air to the liquid in order to release the flavour.

I don't pour it back in to the bottle, but serve from the jug.

It is not a secret, it does work and can make even an ordinary wine taste far better than you would expect.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes it does work and yes it is done in many places to speed things up.

I use a large glass jug and you are just getting air to the liquid in order to release the flavour.

I don't pour it back in to the bottle, but serve from the jug.

It is not a secret, it does work and can make even an ordinary wine taste far better than you would expect.

Agreed. Glass jug, decanter or one of those Litro containers. 

My favourite at the moment is this Rioja.

20231218_190316.jpg

I don't think you can really just recommend 'a red wine' with any confidence others will like it.  Red wines cover everything from light wines like Beaujolais (recommended in one post above) through Chateauneuf du Pape (which is a robust full wine), to some very full wines 'new world' wines.  That covers a really broad range of tastes. 

Of those suggested above the Aldi Chateauneuf du Pape sounds like one I would enjoy trying.