Plastic or fibre wad

Biggthepool05

Fibre, as they don't leave lumps of plastic all over the place.

Me too!

I don't think you can say that fibre is harder hitting as there are too many variables that can be changed by the cartridge maker to speed up/ slow down, spread out/ tighten up their loads. All things being equal, plastic will usually give a denser pattern than fibre due to reduced damage to the shot. Having said that, if you find a load that suits you and your gun there shouldn't be any issues with hitting power with either fibre or plastic.

Personally I can't tell the difference but I only shoot game and waterfowl.

We have a pond with a hedge one side and a field the other. As we shoot over the hedge the wads from the steel cartridges land in the field but each year I pick what I can see but must fire 500+ Shots on that pond a year and don't see many wads.

Going back to the 80/90's most carts were plastic wad. I have a field bank which formed a very large drive which in its time must of had 5,000 plus shots over it each year. Cartridges supplied to guns were Winchester GB 1oz 6.5's and Rottweill 6.5's all plastic. The Winchester had a light blue wad.

I never see any hardly when I walk the woodland. Whether all mixed into the soil or rotten or whatever. I still find empty cases though but no wads.

Edited by dodeer

Year after year I see the plastic cups laying in the field.....you wont get that with fibre....!!

One farm I shoot is fibre only so I just changed over and know only shoot fibre....

The pro/cons of hard hitting argument is a myth.....putting the right amount of lead in the right spot is the way forward.....

TEH

Going back to the same fields year after year I don't think I've ever found an old wad from seasons past. Found plenty of hulls that other people have left though and there really is no excuse for that. I use plastic wads mostly because they're easier and much faster to load and all my shells are home made. I usually walk the decoying area and collect as many as I can.

I only use fibre wads in the fields now but still use plastic for clays. A few years ago I shot over stubble and didn't like what I saw on the field afterwards. I spent a good hour walking around picking up the plastic wads. Later that week I noticed that the farmer had let cows out on to the same field.

felt some relief that there wasn't hundreds of plastic wads everywhere. I would hate for any animals to get ill as a result of eating these plastic wads. Farmer never said anything, but it was my personal choice to change and I feel much better about it, epically when I leave the field.

If only they would get the fibre/paper cup wad going we could have the best of both , the patterns from the cup and the bio degradable properties of the fibre wads these could be used in all cartridges not just steel which should bring the price down.

I have a few left i will load some up with lead and compare with normal fibre and plas wads but i would say that there would be to expensive as you will need more packers under them to get the right finish hight but i will have a play and get back to you

fibre in the field,plastic on the clays,shame they don't do fibre with steel shot,that would be cheaper,probably don't because of damage to the barrels?

they do a fibre shot cup as you cant use normal wads with steel

have just done a fit test with the shot cup and lead :yes:

i used the smallest one available and with a 4mm nitro over powder you still need 7-8 mm cork packers in the shot cup with 32g #5 it would soak up a lot of recoil but would be expensive to load. They would have to be made to a different design for lead and a lot cheaper