New Years Eve

steve_b_wales

What are your plans for the above? Mine will be the same as the past many years. It started back in 2003 when I lit one single rocket at the stroke of midnight, in memory of my 14 year old son, who I had lost a few weeks previously. Since then, my family and friends gather together for a party, with a big fireworks display starting at midnight. It's grown from the one single rocket, to a very large display. This year, I have approx' £250 worth to let off. The most I have had is around £400. The first rocket is for my son, David, where the family all look up at the sky and wish him a 'Happy New Year'. Then the rest of them are set off, with my two son in law's and myself, 'arguing' who's turn it is to set the next one off! :) My neighbours all around me all look forward to the display.

It could be said that 'it's a waste of money', but it's my money, which I work damn hard for. I will be working a 13 hour shift this Christmas day, as I have done for the past 11 years, which allows me to have New Years Eve off. I don't smoke and very rarely drink alcohol, and. as long as the law allows it, I will continue to celebrate in this way.

Hardly a waste of money when its held for such a cause Steve.

I know it been said several times over my years on here but it is people such as yourself having gone through such tragic events show the rest of us just how fortunate we are to be able to share xmas with our loved ones.

And it saddens me that even among the few that I have come to know on this forum you are by no means alone in having lost a child .

Nice way to keep him in your thoughts.

Better way to spend n.y.e than mine - spending 12 hrs ferrying drunk folk around London through the worst traffic imaginable, with most of the river crossings closed so tiddly people can watch fireworks and stumble around without hitting cars.

Would rather spend it with those I love but drunks spend money and January is lean for cabbies.

Enjoy your rockets, reckon your lad would have loved that.

What are your plans for the above? Mine will be the same as the past many years. It started back in 2003 when I lit one single rocket at the stroke of midnight, in memory of my 14 year old son, who I had lost a few weeks previously. Since then, my family and friends gather together for a party, with a big fireworks display starting at midnight. It's grown from the one single rocket, to a very large display. This year, I have approx' £250 worth to let off. The most I have had is around £400. The first rocket is for my son, David, where the family all look up at the sky and wish him a 'Happy New Year'. Then the rest of them are set off, with my two son in law's and myself, 'arguing' who's turn it is to set the next one off! :) My neighbours all around me all look forward to the display.

It could be said that 'it's a waste of money', but it's my money, which I work damn hard for. I will be working a 13 hour shift this Christmas day, as I have done for the past 11 years, which allows me to have New Years Eve off. I don't smoke and very rarely drink alcohol, and. as long as the law allows it, I will continue to celebrate in this way.

sounds great and Im sure David will keep an eye on proceedings

We're spending NYE in the House of Blues Las Vegas in the company of Slash & Miles Kennedy :good:

It's the first time we've been away at this time of year, we lost Father in law a few weeks ago, Mum in law will be on her own for the first time following 66 years of marriage, so it's turned out to be harder than expected but we doing it & it's gonna be awesome - if emotional ;)

Good on ya Steve for continuing you NYE ritual :good:

Steve

Fireworks in my opinion are never a waste and to have such a poignant memory added is wonderful

We have a similar thing in that my little un was born on the same day that my sister died- albeit 32 years apart... We now give thanks for the life she had and the life n joy that he brings to us now.

For me though, this year is my turn to work both Xmas and New Year.

Xmas is ok as our Scheduling department have kindly organised flights to where I live with a 'day over' meaning I can spend it with family.

For New year I will be in Nuremberg, unfortunately working the early flights out of there so them Germans better keep the noise down as I'm up at 04.00 ( actually fat chance esp as our hotel is central to the main city and train station.

Still, disturbed sleep will give me an excuse to not have to do all three flights that day and get home at midnight that evening.....

Not really enjoyed this time of years since my mum passed away 10 years ago on the 21st December but now we have two young children we make a big effort at Christmas for them but New Year's Eve will be feet up in front of the TVs with an Indian and in bed before the clock strikes midnight

I don't drink so I will hopefully be able to get up the island on new years eve and gather me thoughts....all the best to pw members and be safe yeh!

Yep enjoy, I have not shot LIndisfarne since the lead shot ban but I always think it is a great place to visit any time of the year, which I do on a regular basis. Fantastic when the tide is in and its all quiet.

Blackpowder

:good: :good: