Semi autos

Walker570

Evolution, gents. Evolution.

No, not at all.

Some, in fact many still relish and enjoy tradition. One has to book at least a year in advance to secure even a days driven shooting on our shoot, so there is no shortage of people who wan't to do it the accepted way. Simple fact is if you don't wish to take part in driven shooting which is steeped in tradition, buy a day on a shoot that permits shell suits and autos because, quite frankly, we and many others don't want those who can't appreciate the subalties of a traditional driven day and all that goes with it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was shooting at my local ground yesterday and was cleaning up the shells from my SA when a chap with an o/u walked into the stand, loaded and shouldered his gun next to my head!

As I take my son with me I'm all over safety, so this this chap hacked me off to say the least!

To me SA maybe safer, my safety flag stops the action from closing where as an o/u with cartridges in only needs to be closed

You sir are out of touch, I use both SA and OU for clays, the SA pitches them 8 to 9 feet beyond the rope and if you think I am going over that to collect shells you are having a laugh.

The OU is another matter, when I open I do not eject but remove by hand and bin the shells where others that are in front just eject over their shoulder with no thought at all for any one.

Do not class all SA users into one pot with out first looking at the facts and if the shells from the SA are arriving at your feet get back behind the rope!,

Hmm out of touch? You apparently never did a round of compak do you? Google it up.

You stand in cages alongside each others and shoot in sequence, separated by about 2 meters. So your SA shells will land on *me* when you are to my left.

Hmm out of touch? You apparently never did a round of compak do you? Google it up.

You stand in cages alongside each others and shoot in sequence, separated by about 2 meters. So your SA shells will land on *me* when you are to my left.

http://www.bictsf.com/userfiles/downloads/20/COMPAK%20SPORTING%20RULES%202015.pdf

Chapter 3. 3.1 and 6

S/a's are permitted but there are clear rules for their use. Is there a double case catcher available that does not make the gun feel and look ****. To me it would be better to add meshing on either side of the cage and to include a spent cartridge pick up rule.

Also both my s/a's (Maxus and Benelli) would throw the spent cases forward of the cage next door...maybe the way I stand.

Edited by B25Modelman

I won a SA yesterday after a shoot off at the Rizzini Comp at Honesberie - a Huglu G12. I've never used one, Mr Hoskins says I can use it for pigeon shooting. At the moment it feels weird to me and heavy although it probably weighs the same as my O/U.

You started a post about Clays and then moved on from there.

I stated there was no way I would cross the line to collect shells that have gone over it.

Then you moved on to Compak and yes I did Google it, is there a reason cages are so close?, and no nets up to catch shells? and no barrier to stop you stepping out?

From the images that I saw it did not inspire safety or is there no national standard from ground to ground?

Maybe the S/A shooters should be made to stand at the end, i'e left handed guns on your left and right handed guns on your right!

Would that suffice .

Only been to one clay ground & it was the last, Spennymoor lol, would never ever set foot in any clay ground from what i saw there.Guns out of slips, unbroken in the car park over the shoulder getting swung about & we aint talking semi's

Edited by Davyo

As I've said, if you oppose them due to tradition then fair enough; I can understand that, but not on the grounds of safety please. That argument simply doesn't hold water.

This.

Object to them for reason of tradition - fine. I get that and agree with it.

But don't denigrate the people who own them as being 'dangerous'. Some are, some aren't, same as for all shooters.

Only been to one clay ground & it was the last, Spennymoor lol, would never ever set foot in any clay ground from what i saw there.Guns out of slips, unbroken in the car park over the shoulder getting swung about & we aint talking semi's

I regularly shoot at clay grounds including Spennymoor and people carrying guns broke open with the action on their shoulder is nothing out of the ordinary, clay guns weigh quite a bit and over the arm is no good and taking out of the slip on every stand and dropping your slip on the floor isn't nessicary but it will not have been unsafe as the guns are not loaded.

You started a post about Clays and then moved on from there.

I stated there was no way I would cross the line to collect shells that have gone over it.

Then you moved on to Compak and yes I did Google it, is there a reason cages are so close?, and no nets up to catch shells? and no barrier to stop you stepping out?

From the images that I saw it did not inspire safety or is there no national standard from ground to ground?

Maybe the S/A shooters should be made to stand at the end, i'e left handed guns on your left and right handed guns on your right!

Would that suffice .

Fair enough, Compak is perhaps one exception where the SA is a problematic. In other words, no you can't have SA people to the right of the row of cages as people shoot one station, then move to the next (and back to the foremost left one when they reach the rightmost one).

It is perfectly safe, as cages are normally preventing guns pointing anywhere near the other participants, and it'd actually quite fast paced and fun! You can go thru 25-30 shells in very, very little time :-)

SOME places have nets between 'cages', but I've saw that just once; even at E.J Churchill they just have the wooden cages.

Again, I'm not against SA at all -- I like the idea, and I'll probably buy one at some point -- alongside a mag stick thingy to pick up my mess afterward :-)

Wether I'd want to bring one on a driven day quite frankly I don't think I would; I think the 'sport' and 'style' argument would win. I'd rather miss with a SxS than hit with an SA somehow, with the SxS I'll miss with a big grin on my face, and heck, I'll look pretty all the while ;-)

For me am not an old dinosaur at 32 (I Hope) but for me formal driven game should be undertaken with wooden stocked guns with two barrels…… if you get on well with double triggers and the sight picture of the SxS then that’s the way to do it as a preference as its traditional and looks correct in my opinion.
Dress should also be moleskin or tweed and a check shirt. No camo what so ever. If you’re spending the money on the day IMO it should be done in a certain way, the two for me just go hand in hand. You wouldn’t by a top end sports car and put budget tyres on it would you.
Even on beaters day, if you have done enough to be invited to shoot that day then surely you have worked hard enough take the pride to wear the nice clothes. I cannot afford to pay for formal driven shooting so the only time I experience it is on two beaters days, I give up 20+ weekdays of annual leave plus weekend dates to do as much beating as I can to earn my place on beaters day. I put my beating money aside and with that buy my moleskins and shirt along with good game cartridges, any left-over goes into my clay cartridge budget for summer clay shooting. I wouldn’t feel right with camo or a semi-auto on one of these two days and yes am saving for matching breeks and jacket which will take a proud place in my wardrobe for the use just two days a year.
I hate the thought of the sight of a semi auto or camo on a formal driven day, you may as well wear a track suit, white trainers and for 11`s have take-away burgers and a bottle of white lightening. Needless to say am sure this would lose us the right to shoot game too with public distaste more so.
But this is just my personal opinion and how I feel.

On the rare occasions I've been invited to a driven shoot I have always taken my sxs. It has always been tacitly approved of. I think it's a mark of respect for your fellow guns and beaters. I wouldn't take my o/u, let alone my s/a. Both have a purpose, but neither of them are for formal days. O/Us are much more accepted now, but everyone likes to see a sxs being used. The rough shoot I'm on and the driven shoot I beat on are at least 70% sxs, probably more. I approve. :)

Each to their own and obviously if a club, syndicate or shoot dictates that double barrelled shotguns, or strict dress code for that matter, obviously it should be adhered to, for me personally I don't understand the appeal and enjoy being out in the countryside doing what I enjoy with friends, whether that be with a double, semi or heaven forbid a pump. As for saying a semi auto is a safety issue, well I think that's ridiculous.