Proper Flu

elgreco

Well, after 52 years I've finally got a dose! It's completely wiped me out. Anyone know how long it'll take to subside? I hate being ill :-(

Proper flu as in I can't get out of bed at all, can take a couple of weeks. Obviously depends on how strong you are, age, etc but to get back to normal takes time. Wish you well.

Makes me laugh when some people claim to have had flu, having just had a couple of days off work! If they had flu they would have had a fever, would feel weak, ache all over and unable to get out of bed (and worse!) for several days!...it takes some time to shake it off completely!

I have had flu twice in over sixty years...........when you have it........you know you've got it!

Yeh 4 days bed ridden,coughed and my lungs stabbed me,knees ,elbows arms shoulder,s all ached like id been beaten with a metal bar .Couldnt stand light ,couldnt eat sneezed and my head exploded ,you know when its real and not "Man FLU".Sweating like a pig then shivering and shaking in turns it,s the devil,s work then suddenly the pain stopped being so evil and you start to slowly feel human again.Took about 3 months to recover from though and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy,doctor,s dont let you come to the surgery with it and tell u to go away n sweat it out .

Well, after 52 years I've finally got a dose! It's completely wiped me out. Anyone know how long it'll take to subside? I hate being ill :-(

Thought I had had it before until I actually had it,

As said above you are in it for the long haul,

Oh and when you think you are ok to go back to work, you won't be, i went back when I thought I was better, big mistake, if it's proper flu it will be the worst thing you have had

:shaun:

I had a proper dose of flu about 20 years ago , coughing up blood and snot , I couldnt eat or drink and lost three stone in two weeks , after about the third day I just sat in the chair and waited to die , I was back at work by the third week , but didnt feel back to full strength for about a year.

I never understood what real flu was until I had it.

There will be a war going on inside your body. As said if you never had it before you know when you get it. I had it once a couple of years ago and was bedridden for a week, the sweats, shakes & aches among other maladies and drifting in and out of sleep. Took a month before I was fully back to speed, I now get me flu jab every year and up to now have been ok.

As said plenty of fluids for maintaining hydration.

atb

7diaw

I had 'real flu' about twenty years ago and I thought I was dying, it was months before I could honestly say I had shaken it off. Just felt tired and lacking my usual energy forever, it was a real effort just trying to get on with day to day life because its so very debilitating.

Just updating my own post, has anyone else heard of post viral syndrome?

Edited by Vince Green

Only had proper flu once about 45 years ago, all the symptoms described by others are spot on. However in my case it triggered a faulty gene and gave me the first outbreak of psoriasis I had ever had. Finished up in hospital for two weeks, its not only the flu itself but the things it could lead to.

If one has a genetic or latent condition it can set that off, sometimes with fatal consequences.

Take care of yourself bud plenty of fluids, juice, water or tea, no booze. And next year get the flu jab.

Edit for typos

Edited by Sha Bu Le

I decided to propose to my wife on xmas day 2013. But in the early hours of xmas eve the dreaded flu got me.

I was flattened until new year and felt carp right through january. I recall only eating one bowl of soup and a piece of toast for a week.

I did eventually propose at the end of january.

In 2005 I had pneumonia...I think I felt worse with the flu.