Petrol lawn mowers

JBS

I've got a couple of cylinder mowers that I am going to sell.

One is a Qualcast Suffolk Punch type in very good condition.

The other is an older Webb with a much wider cut.

Both are self propelled and will give you a well manicured, stripey lawn if it is relatively flat, ie. not bumpy.

If you want a rotary, then Hayter or Honda decent makes.

It all depends what type of lawn you require and how much you are willing to spend.

Better makes and quality usually mean that spares are more readily available.

The cheaper superstore specials are more of a throw away item after a few seasons, especially if they are not looked after.

Lithium Ion battery chemistry has made cordless mowers the new black. No pullcord and no trailing cables.

I bought a compact one for our small front and rear lawns beginning of last year that cost a massive £99.99 at Argos, its been chuffin brilliant. You'd need something bigger for your lawn.

Edited by Dave-G

Atco make very good cylinder mowers you can change the cartridges to scarifiers etc a all in one machine. For what is ten by twenty meters I'd go cylinder push mower. You will be all done by the time you fill start and mess around with a petrol mower.

Get a Honda Izy self propelled I have had mine over 10 yrs starts first pull every time, just change the oil & spark plug @ the start of every season, Fantastic mower.

My dad has one just failed, probably due to the fact I don't think it ever had a service...... currently with mower place

Hayter. British made. Had them for years and never had any problems.

Now is it British made? I bought a second hand electric hayter last week 2008/09 says china on the chassis.

For the size your lawn is 10*20? I would get a bosh elec41 3 year warranty mine was great for probably ten years or more, I have an atco as well cylinder but as mentioned you need it pretty flat and they don't pick up rubbish leaves etc as well as a rotary

As has been said for the size of the lawn I would go for an electric mower. I have a mountfield elecy mower and its great. Fairly quiet and easy to use. I used to cut a lawn around 120m2 in no time with the electric mower. My new place has more grass over two lawns so weekends are going to be taken up cutting grass no doubt. Bosch do good electric mower too so I'm told by a mate who buy nothing but Bosch lol.

Whatever you choose, remember that regular cutting is just one small part towards a good lawn. It's knowing how to look after it outside of cutting which will make or break that quality lawn look.

I have a friend who's lawn is like velvet, never seen a lawn like it and he uses a Flymo

Hayter or Honda are my recommendations

Edited by Cosd

i spent 15 plus years running a garden maintenance company.

get a honda izzy. size is up to you, you don't need a roller necessarily to get reasonable stripes, the roller is there to help fracture the base of the grass plant itself to promote new fresh and denser growth.

easy to self maintain, and bombproof and will work well in the wet

Is it worthwhile going secondhand and getting a better mower than a cheaper new one? I don't want to spend a fortune on cutting the lawn! Just makes me wonder why the secondhand are up for sale if they're any good!

Bought my Honda 10+ years ago, second hand, and cleaned it for the first time just last week - looks like new. As long as I run it a couple of times out of season then it starts first time every time - if it stands over winter then I have to drain the float bowl (one screw) to clear stale fuel before using her again....cannot recommend one highly enough, my neighbour has gone through 4 cheap petrol mowers since I bought the Honda.