Eamonn Holmes and Ruth dress in matching tweed

HAYBURN

Id have thought two very popular people shooting would be a good thing, like Phillip Scofield but they probably don't shout about it because the don't want hassle off Joe public.

Likes of basc should be doing all they can to get these folk in the limelight showing shooting in a good light, a couple of tweets off them or the loose women lot shooting would reach far more people than the usual preaching to the converted.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And it should never be like that. We all share the same interest, why should what someone is wearing make a difference.

Agree, I find it amusing, if people want to be like that more fool them. Still some snobbery about but on the other hand Some excellent grounds too!

Yes at Lowes lane turn up in whatever u please ,very welcoming bunch ,jeans n tee shirt or tweeds nobody bats an eye and no one judges .Never had a tut tut or sneer

.Dont judge a book by the cover ,millionaire i used to work for was all jeans and shirt ,drove an estate car yet owned Jewellers ,paintball sites in Uk and Thailand and imported cars .

He didnt care who u were as long as you did your job atb

Id have thought two very popular people shooting would be a good thing, like Phillip Scofield but they probably don't shout about it because the don't want hassle off Joe public.

Likes of basc should be doing all they can to get these folk in the limelight showing shooting in a good light, a couple of tweets off them or the loose women lot shooting would reach far more people than the usual preaching to the converted.

Melanie Sykes took up Clay shooting and it was thought that she would make the GB team in short time.

I do not know what has happened since, but did we on PW support her? If I recall because of the Team GB boast we slated her.

Lots of celebrities shoot at Charity events that I have had the privilege to work at, and many of these celebrities shoot as a pastime, but just like us do not publicise the fact that we shoot.

My Mum always moaned at me for shooting birds, but she having worked on Anti Aircraft guns during the Second World War defended herself by saying her targets could hit back and hence were more acceptable than a defenceless bird, there is still a lot of public opinion we have to win over.

Edited by bakerboy

Melanie Sykes took up Clay shooting and it was thought that she would make the GB team in short time.

I do not know what has happened since, but did we on PW support her? If I recall because of the Team GB boast we slated her..

Why am I not surprised by this paragraph.. Its a shame that we all have the same interest yet judge people either of a "lower" or "higher" class.

It's annoying, but many shooters feel we should be ashamed of what we do or that we like and own guns.

Thingy Alexander off pointless is well into his shooting, as is him off that property programme, but I would think one mention of it on tv would see them out of BBC employment pretty damned quick.

It's annoying, but many shooters feel we should be ashamed of what we do or that we like and own guns.

Thingy Alexander off pointless is well into his shooting, as is him off that property programme, but I would think one mention of it on tv would see them out of BBC employment pretty damned quick.

I agree, Robin Page is a classic example of BBCs bias. He presented 'One Man and His Dog' for many years, is a true countryman but has been 'rested' by the Beeb for being outspoken on country matters.

BBC at it's worst in my opinion.

OB

Works in reverse for Packham and the media.........the more he slates fieldsports the more work/coverage he seems to get!

I agree, Robin Page is a classic example of BBCs bias. He presented 'One Man and His Dog' for many years, is a true countryman but has been 'rested' by the Beeb for being outspoken on country matters.

BBC at it's worst in my opinion.

OB

I agree that It should be open to people with different amounts of disposable income. I draw the line at the chav class.

Be careful, you'll be upsetting the Schoolboy Owen Jones. I've just finished his book " Chavs, the demonisation of the working class" Large pile of horse manure. Chavdom can apply to all sections of society.

You never see vests etc at our clay ground. It's always too cold, even atthe height of summer!

I agree that It should be open to people with different amounts of disposable income. I draw the line at the chav class.

How sad - nobody's bitten yet. Keep casting, something will come along shortly...

Addressing your point, did you attend the ground at the weekend (Slightly non-U for using "weekend" rather than Friday to Monday)? I went to West Kent on Friday and it was very civilised - mostly Club shooters, polite, no pumps or sawn-offs, no vans in the car park...

Stay away at the weekend and make time during the week seems to be the solution.

Edited by Flashman

First thing I said to the Mrs. He's done a bit in the past.

Instructor grabbed the gun off her pretty quickly. Not without a tad of panic in his face I thought.

she was a car crash and a danger to....................the way eamon broke the gun...reminded me very much of someone used to having "a stuffer"....wonder if he is a closet game shot ?

I quite often feel judged at some clay grounds, I feel it's because I'm in my normal clothes not dressed head to toe in beretta gear or what ever brand they choose. I don't care but some places wouldn't feel welcoming to a newcomer.

I've found that to be the case a few times over the years. Too many clicks of 'toffs' strolling around in tweed or branded gear as you say. They look me up and down like I've turned up at a bow tie dinner in a shell suit! :lol: A friend of mine found a good place near me, that you go round a circuit of different angled appearing clays. All done electronically and safely. It's not a members type place, just a pay on the day. Will suit me fine for practice sessions for the decoying.

How far into the program did the shooting bit occur? I caught a bit of the silver service bit, got bored and turned it off.

They only time I have felt judged at a clay ground was when I turned up just after the 'ladies' morning had finished. They seemed to go out of their way to block access to doors, tables, tea and coffee etc .When asked if they minded moving they sneered down their nose at me like I'd just defecated in their tea. Certainly less than welcoming group of people.

I've found that to be the case a few times over the years. Too many clicks of 'toffs' strolling around in tweed or branded gear as you say. They look me up and down like I've turned up at a bow tie dinner in a shell suit! :lol: A friend of mine found a good place near me, that you go round a circuit of different angled appearing clays. All done electronically and safely. It's not a members type place, just a pay on the day. Will suit me fine for practice sessions for the decoying.

Where's that Jamie?

I don't think I have ever seen anybody at a clay ground in tweeds. Not that I go that often. A mixture of 'normal' gear (jeans), 'branded' clay gear and chav wear. There again the clay ground I go to is in Essex.

And before anybody takes offence I was born, educated and spent the first 30 years of my life in Essex.

I don't think I have ever seen anybody at a clay ground in tweeds. Not that I go that often. A mixture of 'normal' gear (jeans), 'branded' clay gear and chav wear. There again the clay ground I go to is in Essex.

And before anybody takes offence I was born, educated and spent the first 30 years of my life in Essex.

Epping per chance?

Problem is you get them and us in all walks of life,the sort that think for whatever reason they are better or superior!!

There's a few on here!no names no pack drill,but you know if you went out for a beer with them by the end of the night they would end up on there **** lol,BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

Problem is you get them and us in all walks of life,the sort that think for whatever reason they are better or superior!!

There's a few on here!no names no pack drill,but you know if you went out for a beer with them by the end of the night they would end up on there **** lol,BB

misjudge or underestimate someone at your peril....it may be you that ends up on yer ****? Lol!.........Or you might even like em??

Wouldn't it be spiffing if full tweed was the dress of choice for clays

you joke about that...........there is a very "select" clay pigeon shooting club that meets the first sunday every month about a mile from here....none of them are "locals" (nfn's)....and they all turn up in plus 2 and 4's garters...ties...waistcoates.........as if they are shooting at sandringham.....me and my mate went along a few years ago and asked if we could join.....and was given an emphatic NO (with a look of "now just go away serf")

the whole bloody lot of them are manual crankers of the first order.....you can see the shooting from the road AND IT IS AWFUL... :lol::lol: