Competition at School. Good or Bad?

silver pigeon69

I was watching a debate this morning, with Piers Morgan, who normally i cant stand, but i had to agree with him.

Do you agree with competion/s in schools. Where there are winners and loosers?

I think there should be, as life is a competition and there are definately winners and loosers. I think it also promotes effort, if everyone is going to win, then why should someone put in more effort than the other?

If you think there should be competition at school, should there be an age limit when it starts?

My children go to a private school and the completion is relentless. It starts at age 4, although relatively low key, and then just ramps up all the way to 18. Academic achievement, sporting achievement, music achievement, sporting colours, scholarships, house competitions, etc. culminating in end of year speech day prizes. To be honest most of the children cope with it OK as they have been used to it from an early age. It's some of the parents who get more stressed out about it.

I only get frustrated with mine when they don't try their best. I judge them against themselves rather than others.

My wife is a teacher and this 'tread lightly'thing been going on for years.I once asked her when she was marking books at home "what happened to the red pen ?" Apparently its banned as deemed negative.Its the old backing up a negative with a positive,we apply it at work now when training Tax apprentices.Its no longer PC to say they are ****.

Edited by Davyo

At my school, back in the day, all the prefects were from the 1st 15, or cricket. That was the accepted norm. It was a traditional grammar school, the teachers wore gowns for examples, but the elevation to the highest level of pupil life was based on your ability to chuck a ball.

I don't have kids but I agree it's essential.

How can getting a prize for coming last be teaching a child? I guess it's a balancing act but I think healthy competition promotes all the good traits we have.

Edit: I've just re read, a prize for coming last is teaching a child, teaching them you can get rewarded for either not trying hard enough or not being any good. Which I suppose is a reflection on society as it is now.

Edited by Muddy Funker

It did not help when we had 'liberal' teachers arrive and tell kids to call them by their Christian names and we had the same start in the police force just before I left. Almost all signs of good manners has gone. Please and thank you are no longer part of everyday language. I was not a high flyer but had the benefit of going to a Grammar School and as said before teachers wore their 'uniform' and it was yes Sir, yes Miss and we stood up when a teacher walked into the room. I still retain that basic good manners today. Open a door for a female.

To answer the original question, yes there should be winners and losers. I still remind one of our best bowlers to this day that he wouldn't let me stay at the crease for more than three balls. but his retort was that I was a pathetic batsman anyway and I have to agree.

Never did seem to effect the rest of my life.

Not really sure if it can be classed as either good or bad really. It's just what happens life.

My son has played for his local towns team since primary ( he's now almost 18 ) and there was a time when the league would print scores as for example 3-0 when in fact the score had been 13-0, because those who ran the league considered the true result humiliating and open to ridicule.

It's hard for any parent to see the disappointment on their children's faces, but that's life I'm afraid.

The practise stopped when parents complained, not the kids.

My son and his mates all learned to take the losses on the chin and celebrate the wins.

Learning to accept defeat is one of life's lessons, and it needs to be learned. We can't all be winners.

As I've said to both mine; you've only truly lost when you give up.

I did.

It was usually me at sports

I think some kids learn from coming last or not doing very well. I got the highest grades possible at GCSE for some subjects but when I went on to study them at A Level I was bored out of my mind, not interested and didn't do very well. Years later I found a subject I was interested in, went to study it and have just found out I'll be graduating with a First Class (Hons) and made it onto the Dean's list of outstanding academic achievement.

If they're smart they can often see "this isn't for me" and be encouraged to focus on their skills etc if they have the right support.

Finding someone who's absolutely terrible at something and telling them how great they are for just turning up just don't cut it!

I teach my lad to play to win and that the activity should still be enjoyable even if you lose.

we was on holiday recently and it was a pleasure to see my 7 year old shake hands with the other lads after they played all the games with the holiday reps whether he did well or not.

Yes there should be competition at school, but that should go with good sportsmanship. As others have mentioned in life, in sport, in exams, etc "you win some, you lose some" and in school sport is probably a good environment to learn that. My son came last in school sports, but academically he is well out in front...now my daughter she's good at sport, but average academically.

Cheers

Aled

Completely for competition, more the better. Either get good and win or learn to accept defeat, both good life lessons. Teaches kids you don't just get to keep things fair.

The school I attended was sports daft and we competed with other schools in the town and county and if you were good enough you competed at regional and national level.

Get off you ***** and go for it because it ain't going to be handed to you on a plate. I learned sportsmanship and determination, oh and I don't like loosing much :lol:

Let's get back to good old fashioned values. If they step out of line cane them, ground them whatever punishment suits and teach them the ways of what happens when caught doing wrong. They will eaither become better adults or learn not to get caught :lol: :lol:

Edited by figgy

No one has to tell you that life can be stressful, challenging and pretty brutal at times. The people who attain a good education, develop flexible life skills and cultivate positive personality traits are the ones who generally succeed in life. They realise their potential in a competitive environment. This differentiates them from those that are happy or have no choice but to settle for mediocrity. School should be a microcosm of our society and a competitive aspect to the curriculum enables us to separate the wheat from the chaff. I think that school should offer equal opportunity to all pupils to realise their potential. This does not mean treating everyone as an equal. A competitive environment lets you and everyone else know where they are placed in the pecking order.

I did.

It was usually me at sports

And me 😁

I was the kid who was the last one the football or rugby team got lumbered with after the two super sporty teachers pet sports captains hand picked there super dooper team from a bunch of 1970s morons. I never lost anything because I never played anything to win I was more interested in getting out of sports lessons in favour of smoking behind the sports hall with my punk girl friends.

Winning is only of any relevance if winning other people is of any importance to you, I have only ever been interested in doing the best I can I have no interest in what others are doing. Of course if for instance I shot better on the day than anyone else then I accept the "win" with grace but its secondary to being happy with ones own performance.

I can see arguments from both sides re competition at school, if its good or bad really depends on the outlook of the child. But as real life is governed by being the best and having the most etc etc I cant see any harm in it as such "for the majority" and those that feel bothered by being rubbish at sport or spelling or math need to realise that there is more to life than winning. Girls for instance, oh and beer that sort of thing 😉

eddie the eagle???

If my lad does not do well...he gets told to man up and get on with it and do better....

Absolutely, he came in last but his grit and determination made him the peoples champion.

You dont always have to win to be the winner ?

They just made a film about him, its grossed 46 million dollars !

I'll bet he's not plastering now.

Edited by mickyh

Personally I think competition is a must, its all well and good wanting everyone to join in and have fun but there comes a point where you have to step up.

My kids are only very young so I just expect them to try but even so when your daughter is skipping along at sports day not bothered at all but busts a gut to beat you or mum its deep breath time.

I like the American idea of sports, look at where you can go in America if your good and really try, pretty much a free ticket it seems if your good enough, this country seems to have decided its not nice to try and win. Yes you loose but you get up and go again otherwise you had better get used to just accepting whatever life throws at you.

And well done Lloyd 👏👏👏👏👏👏

Are we talking competitive at sport or life in general?

If the former one has to realise that many children (and indeed adults) have no interest in the type of sports done at school (I was one) therefore winning or losing is irrelevant as you don't even want to participate. Had I gone to public school were a proper sport "fencing" was on the curriculum things may have been different 😲

If we are talking competitive in exams as in passing them then again many folk aren't that bothered. I didn't fail any because I didn't take any because I refused to sit them. I was an awkward *** who chose to stick two fingers up to what I considered a dictatorship called compulsory schooling, I didn't then and I don't now care much for being forced to do stuff. I am not condoning my stance but it made me competitive in life in as much as having to find my own way. I did ok in life and business but I do not believe school with or without competition had anything to do with it.

Ps

My point is that all children are different therefore there is no one size fits all answer. Some like to compete some don't so why force one or the other into something they don't want.

I don't know the answer 😞

Edited by ips

I think there the same sport and life, my niece and nephew both do plenty outside of school, very different things but they do well in school and out.

The kids I remember from school who didn't try at sports were probably also the less intelligent ones, not all mind.

It's true mainstream school sports might not fit everyone but it should be promoted I think, even this mile a day they are doing now run walk or both is a good step.

My mates lads go to a school primary, where sport is just not pushed at all and it does there heads in, two young lads who play football every chance they get, I think without sport at school I would have been a mess that's for sure need to burn some energy not just sit in a classroom all day.