Weather forcast

ditchman

7 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

if the Taliban had any brains theyd try a takeover of the country now as a little bit of snow has the place in turmoil :/:/

I don't know how those poor people in Sweden or even Alaska cope  with the amount they get along with the -30 temps :lol:

Aren’t the Swedes and Alaskans geared up for extreme conditions? 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Dont be soft, according to everyone else on here you have to just carry on, rather than have a few days at home, one of the rugby lads posted a ten second video today of his trip to work, three lanes of standing traffic in snow with flashing lights above.

??  A JCB has just missed a dry stone wall outside our property. He’s had to ‘walk’ his digger back out of the ditch though. Good to watch. 

I’m doing my good neighbour bit by emptying the grit bin, but I doubt anyone will come to refill it. 

17 hours ago, Dekers said:

That may be correct but general purpose tyres which most people have fitted perform better overall in all conditions compared to years back.

Which opens another can of worms, all of us 4x4 drivers make it through the grief and get to work, rescue all the rear wheel drive boys cars and do the shopping for the locals as we are the only ones who can, don't see many complaining about 4x4 now! :good:

That's those that know how to drive and the limitations of 4 wheel drive. Always amazes me when it gets really slippery on the roads like with compacted snow, and the amount of 4x4's you see that have left the road. Some people think they are invulnerable in a 4x4. Sure it gives great traction, but doesn't help braking on ice or if you go round a corner too fast for the conditions.

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

Shorts must be a post man thing, mine is in shorts too. Very strange 

And mine!

1 minute ago, TriBsa said:

but doesn't help braking on ice or if you go round a corner

you are so right that most don't understand this.  Having had a 4 x 4 in the family all my life (my parents had their first in the late 1950s and there has been at least one ever since), I try and keep off the roads in these conditions.  Either you can't go because it's blocked by other cars, or when you get there - it's closed!

15 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

That's those that know how to drive and the limitations of 4 wheel drive. Always amazes me when it gets really slippery on the roads like with compacted snow, and the amount of 4x4's you see that have left the road. Some people think they are invulnerable in a 4x4. Sure it gives great traction, but doesn't help braking on ice or if you go round a corner too fast for the conditions.

No argument there, been out this morning and whilst the hills and general traction are far better than conventional drive vehicles is was plain to feel the roads still needed a lot of care, and I had switched mine into Snow mode as well!

Edited by Dekers

17 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

Just bad driving, as you say, stick someone in a 4x4 who’s never driven on snow or ice and they assume they can drive as they would on a normal day.

I gave the wife the Discovery today and I’ve been zipping about in a 535. No dramas, didn’t even have the traction control light flash. Slow and steady and pretend the brake pedal doesn’t exist.

7 hours ago, cromwell7 said:

I’ve been in Denmark and Germany during heavy snow, everyone has winter tyres, the roads are gritted and ploughed, everyone carries on and the world turns.

Right and is that just for 4 days or is it for a month or so. As I  said this country doesn't get this weather consistently enough to throw money at it. One week of snow doesn't Warrent millions or billions of pounds being spent. Obviously thats my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

RED WARNING now for the whole country. My wife just came in and said the other ladies at school said that if you drive when there is a RED WARNING your insurance become invalid.

Discuss

:lol: Nothing to discuss.  It's one of those urban myths. It's simply not true. 

I can think of at least 2 reasons why. 1: If you hadn't listened to the radio because you had a CD playing in the car, how would you know it was a red warning?  2: If they issued a red warning when you were halfway home from somewhere, you would have to pull up by the side of the road and freeze to death instead ofgetting home and warm.

Mind you the police would have a field day issuing tickets for no insurance. 

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

RED WARNING now for the whole country. My wife just came in and said the other ladies at school said that if you drive when there is a RED WARNING your insurance become invalid.

Discuss

I know an old lady who eats slimming bread by the loaf, because she thinks the more you eat the slimmer you get!

Discuss! :lol:

Local Authorities as far back as remember have always had adequate supplies and vehicles and actually contracted out some of the driving. My friend who is an Agricultural Engineer was on early morning 3am call out all winter until about four years ago when all were told no longer required.   It really is no different to you buying car insurance ...how often in the last ten years have you claimed?  Probably never, so why bother, other than it is the law you have to have insurance.  The bilions succesive Governments have wasted.....present day one is HS2 ... would easily provide winter cover with change to spare.

Ask all of those truck owners with tens of thousands of pounds worth of goods to deliver on time, stuck on the A47 this morning include the people needing to get to work, maybe very important people, medics, nurses etc etc .... ask them if it would warrant spending a few million to see the roads maintained properly. You might just get a VERY rude reply.

7 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I know an old lady who eats slimming bread by the loaf, because she thinks the more you eat the slimmer you get!

Discuss! :lol:

:good:That was my response....women!!! :/:no::sad1:

Its OK for most of you lot. I live with a husky who has refused to come in out of the snow all day and a wife who is Norwegian. You can imagine the comments about the UK and a little bit of snow. If I hear again that her first decision when taking her HGV test was whether or not to fit snow chains I shall join the dog outside.

Bless

We have drifts of over a metre now; I know this because the fence poles on the edge of the A66 are a metre high, and someone has just sent me a picture from this afternoon, and none of the poles outside Appleby can be seen. There have been no kids on the green today, unsurprisingly....that driven icy snow smarts! :yes:

10 hours ago, cromwell7 said:

I’ve been in Denmark and Germany during heavy snow, everyone has winter tyres, the roads are gritted and ploughed, everyone carries on and the world turns.

Same for me in North America, plus people routinely carried blankets, newspapers shovels and food in their car. Everybody had a CB radio, that was before cell phones worked outside a town. Even then somebody froze to death every year when their car got stuck in a drift.

When I was in Sweden in 1969 my works Ford Cortina with cross ply tyres was jump starting and pulling out Volvos with stud tyres. My chains worked a treat. Minus 35c.

One thing I learnt was always to drive with full cold weather clothing on because if you had a crash and became unconscious you could die from hypothermia before you were found.

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

We have drifts of over a metre now; I know this because the fence poles on the edge of the A66 are a metre high, and someone has just sent me a picture from this afternoon, and none of the poles outside Appleby can be seen. There have been no kids on the green today, unsurprisingly....that driven icy snow smarts! 

I have been out pigeon shooting today and yes it does sting a bit, must be mad.:no:

15 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Same for me in North America, plus people routinely carried blankets, newspapers shovels and food in their car. Everybody had a CB radio, that was before cell phones worked outside a town. Even then somebody froze to death every year when their car got stuck in a drift.

Yes I used to fit Rough Grip tyres for people years gone bye in winter chains were also used.