Police find illegal 'gun factory'

JohnfromUK

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always thought someone with a lathe or other decent equipment could probably produce firearms, especially pistols fairly easily if they had the right know how.

Plenty of videos on youtube etc of people making slap-guns, a shotgun shell and a bit of pipe and they're away. 

Makes a joke of the recent Panorama expose (shock horror!) concerning legally held obsolete calibre pistols, being used illegally by criminals (by home loading (and using!) cartridges assembled using illegally obtained, controlled components!) 

Closing the so called "loophole" of allowing obsolete calibre guns to be held off ticket....will do sweet FA to stop criminals obtaining illegal guns and ammo....this news proves that they will obtain guns in other ways or just make em themselves!

The only people affected by any ban on holding obsolete calibre guns (or any guns for that matter!) will be law abiding gun users, owners, enthusiasts and collectors!

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

The only people affected by any ban on holding obsolete calibre guns (or any guns for that matter!) will be law abiding gun users, owners, enthusiasts and collectors!

That has always been the case; however, the police are gradually succeeding in their aim of reducing (and eventually eliminating) privately held guns (of all types).

42 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That has always been the case; however, the police are gradually succeeding in their aim of reducing (and eventually eliminating) privately held guns (of all types).

Yes, there is without doubt an agenda to remove all firearms from public ownership.

My cousin who was a detective sergeant in the West Midlands Police did not agree with the public owning guns, and a lot of his colleagues agreed with him, we had some heated debates on the subject.

1 hour ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Or a knife, linishing machine, Land Rover parts, fridge door handles, hang on, now where do l know this person from ?

dont look at me..............................honest guv'ner.....i was no where near ..............

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I've always thought someone with a lathe or other decent equipment could probably produce firearms, especially pistols fairly easily if they had the right know how.

Plenty of videos on youtube etc of people making slap-guns, a shotgun shell and a bit of pipe and they're away. 

That's exactly right, they are not sophisticated bits of kit.  It comes back to the point I made before, you have to have a reason to want to do it though. This factory sound like it was just for the money but they were going to get caught eventually.

Edited by Vince Green

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Firearms replication has been a cottage industry in Pakistan for ages.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/09/25/showcasing-peshawar/

Just my opinion but this story just does not gel somehow. Pictures of fairly standard machine shop gear, couple of bags of bullets (available from any police armory). Not a picture of any kind showing guns, gun parts or anything gun related (except a few rounds). Very unlike the cops not to fill your telly screen with guns of every kind. Very strange descriptions of what could be done with these "metal manipulating" machines. Even the words used are very uni raised chief constable(ish).

Combine this story with the bs Panorama programme and it has me wondering if there is a bit of jiggery pokery going on?

"What" I can hear you think; "a chief constable telling porkies" well I Hillsborough never.

Seriously people they've been trying legally for years to reduce private gun ownership (with more than a bit of self interpretation of home office guidelines) perhaps now a CC is changing tactics. 

Never been into conspiracy theories but ??

Like I said just my opinion. 

Comment as you all see fit.

Bri

From the Telegraph report..."The milling machine - the machine on the right - would be used to very accurately create grooves on the outside of the gun...."

What 'grooves' would these be, do you suppose? 

Off topic really, but I once knew a bloke who made a working replica of a Navy Colt from the paper plans. Just about every part other than the barrel and cylinder was hand-filed. He kept in the tool drawer of his workbench and worked away at it when we weren't busy or after hours. He'd been head foreman of the action-filing workshop at a best London gunmaker and it was a little hobby project for him. If the gun is still in existence, it's probably the finest built 'Colt" on the planet.

Edited by Retsdon