What the....? Grrrr!

DoolinDalton

Just received a letter from my son's secondary school, expecting it to relate to his recent / current asthma episode, which resulted in the weekend in hospital.  On opening the letter and reading the first paragraph, I was very proud.  It reads   'I am delighted to inform you that ****** has been selected, as one of our top scientists and mathematicians, to attend the fifth of our annual series of lectures.'  Brilliant, I thought...my son will really enjoy a lecture regarding science, etc.  Then I read the next paragraph.  'Our guest speaker for the lecture this year is Chris Packham'.  Aaarrgghh! 

The rest of the letter is taken up with all the bull regarding Packham, what he's done, his autobiography, etc.   Now...I'm thinking that when CP has finished his lecture and they have a question and answer session, what question could my son ask him in order to basically, catch him out?   Whether my son would get the chance to ask him, I don't know....but if the opportunity is there, why not!

Any suggetions, PW'ers?  

Thanks Mr Ditchy...my son would actually have the nerve to say something like that!  I forgot to add that he is an avid shooter of clays, pigeon, duck, rabbit, etc.  Also a crack shot, using my 12 bore.  Not bad for an eleven year old!

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, perhaps he will break down on way to your sons school, i would not think he can ask a question off topic, what qualifications does he have in Science, ?

Hi OPP...do you mean my son or Chris Packham? 

Ask him how many people are jetted around the world to enjoy his very expensive holidays , or how many air miles he personally does a year, or how much of his clothing range based on micro-fibres ends up in the worlds oceans, or hows the veganism is going, now the only locally available veg are root crops and cabbage, or how much moorland will survive after its been wilded then set on fire, or how........................... its a very long list

13 minutes ago, DoolinDalton said:

Thanks Mr Ditchy...my son would actually have the nerve to say something like that!  I forgot to add that he is an avid shooter of clays, pigeon, duck, rabbit, etc.  Also a crack shot, using my 12 bore.  Not bad for an eleven year old!

Hi OPP...do you mean my son or Chris Packham? 

hello, no no i meant Chris ******** Packham, he lives in Hampshire, if your Son has the nerve to stand up in front of the school meeting and ask a question related to the general license  i would be very proud of him

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I cant imagine CP being phased by a question from an 11 year old,  despite what everyone thinks the bloke is damn clever.

My question would be something like,  why is it ok for the RSPB to control pests/ predators on their reserves but he is against other private land owners doing the same. 

I would take some evidence and do some research beforehand. 

How about opening with the Conservation charities John muir trust, RSPB carrying out culls then a follow up question on pigeon/fox/badger/deer/rat/hedgehog/ smallpox.

Or his comments on eating panda and how he can value one species over another.

The effect of non native species leading him down the pheasant route, then ask about wild boar, muntjack, CWD, parakeet then rabbit.

He is certainly indoctrinating them young. Sway their views now and it will be harder to get them to see a balanced view later in life.

I would be asking the school why he is giving a speech on science when he is an activist. Are they getting someone with opposite views to balance the scales or are the school biased.

Edited by figgy

55 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, no no i meant Chris ******** Packham, he lives in Hampshire, if your Son has the nerve to stand up in front of the school meeting and ask a question related to the general license  i would be very proud of him

hello, your Son could ask who ever is in charge of the lecture what qualifications does Packham have in Science, ah yes he has a Degree in Zoology

37 minutes ago, figgy said:

He is certainly indoctrinating them young. Sway their views now and it will be harder to get them to see a balanced view later in life.

I would be asking the school why he is giving a speech on science when he is an activist. Are they getting someone with opposite views to balance the scales or are the school biased.

Well said, I completely agree that is the best way to tackle the "problem" at the root.

I would write to the school & advise that my child will not be attending.Id also advise them that this man is an activist that may try and influence young children.The school has a duty of care to stop that happening.This man will have a hidden gender and will using it as a platform to influence the children.Bit like when Linda Mcartney was using schools to promote her Quorn brand,till the penny dropped that it was influencing Vegetarianism.    

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, perhaps he will break down on way to your sons school, i would not think he can ask a question off topic, what qualifications does he have in Science, ?

Perhaps a perfect question to ask? Mr P, can you tell me where you studied science? And what degrees you have? 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

My son who is a teacher says Greta Thurnberg is being taught/ discussed in school like she was some sort of quasi religious icon. Same thing indoctrination. 

Does he agree predatory species need controlling (including lethal control) in order to protect another more endangered species from predation? For example.... Hen Harriers from predation from foxes?  Or Hen Harrier eggs from predation by Corvids? If not, why not?

Does he agree that agricultural, generally referred to as “pest” species, which are increasing exponentially, need population control (including lethal control) in order to protect the human food chain from contamination and the Farmers crops, livestock and livelihood from damage from these “pest” species? If not why not? What do you suggest as an alternative, that doesn’t just drive them onto other farmers land/crops, but keeps their numbers under control?