Early morning at Asda

old'un

Being classed as one of the elderly/vulnerable and Asda’s website telling us to shop between the hours of 6am and 9am for essentials, well we did just that this morning, arriving at the doors at 7:00am, (shop opened at 6am) guess what the bloody place was full of people around 20, 30 years of age with their trolleys stacked high, the shelves were virtually empty, all we came back with was some veg, milk and a couple of loafs of bread, talking to one of the staff, she told us that the shelves were full at opening time but there were long queues waiting to get in from 5am, apparently this shopping window for the elderly is only a voluntary request to younger people to allow the elderly to get some essentials, its obviously not working.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, old'un said:

Being classed as one of the elderly/vulnerable and Asda’s website telling us to shop between the hours of 6am and 9am for essentials, well we did just that this morning, arriving at the doors at 7:00am, (shop opened at 6am) guess what the bloody place was full of people around 20, 30 years of age with their trolleys stacked high, the shelves were virtually empty, all we came back with was some veg, milk and a couple of loafs of bread, talking to one of the staff, she told us that the shelves were full at opening time but there were long queues waiting to get in from 5am, apparently this shopping window for the elderly is only a voluntary request to younger people to allow the elderly to get some essentials, its obviously not working.

Pigs in Troughs springs to mind!:mad:

It was much better prior to 24 hour supermarkets closing overnight this week. Its happened with all of them so I suspect they have been told to do that. The stores are still manned with shelf stackers and self service checkouts with the usual security just inside so their claims about saving electricity seems to be a red herring IMO'

3~4 AM was a great time to go with barely a shopper to be seen.

16 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

It was much better prior to 24 hour supermarkets closing overnight this week. Its happened with all of them so I suspect they have been told to do that. The stores are still manned with shelf stackers and self service checkouts with the usual security just inside so their claims about saving electricity seems to be a red herring IMO'

3~4 AM was a great time to go with barely a shopper to be seen.

What shop was that? I have heard that all 24 hour super market were closing from midnight till 6am, that announcement was two days ago.

39 minutes ago, old'un said:

It's about time the Military were used to enforce supermarket rationing, to stop all these idiots.

My mate said much the same, he got to the supermarket for opening time and there were about 200 people of all ages waiting outside. When the doors opened they all just surged forward and went rushing around like they were on supermarket sweep chucking anything they could get into their basket.

He said something to a staff member and the staff member said "I can't do anything about it, they would just tell me to FO"

So much for self isolating when you are queuing up with 200 chavs

People can be selfish and greedy half of what they buy will be thrown away, they can't eat or store everything they buy.our local butcher yesterday told one bloke yesterday to f off after he saw the last bag of potatoes he had put to one side for one of his regular customer's. He is seeing lots of stranger's who have never been in his shop before and won't go in again. He has decided his regular customer's will have priority over stranger's. 

My Auntie had exactly the same experience, she lives on her how (family are close by luckily), she got up early to head to ASDA, and when she got there it was full of under 70's and the selves were empty of essentials again.  An employee had told her they had to let everyone in as it looked like it was going to become a riot !!

16 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

The bright side is these greedy, selfish, avaricious ******** have slaked their greed by 8am, grabbing stuff meant for others....so hopefully they will not be about during the rest of the day?

The only problem with that is delivery, once the supermarket have had their delivery and goods put out on the shelves, that’s it till the next delivery so the shelves remain empty.  

9 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I'm One of the few in the 30's that have not panic bought, but now I'm starting to think was I the stupid one not stocking right up... 

Although not that young, I'm the same.  However, last night after a bit of driving around our local shops I managed to find most of what we need to keep going.  As long as the supply chain keeps running I am pretty sure shelves will start to recover in a week (I remain ever positive).

driving through a town to some perms i seen no end of the stupid and selfish stocking up walking so close they could hold hands having needless conversations in each other’s faces as i am locked down they will have to infect their own loved ones shame on anyone who takes more than they need 

14 minutes ago, Velocette said:

And yet in Waitrose this morning, in Otley, at 11.00 am picking up some of the weekly shopping, no crowds at all. Everything seemed as normal except slightly less toilet roll !.  

That’s it, you have done it now. :yes:

News flash 10 minutes ago….. Waitrose in Otley suddenly stormed by hundreds of shoppers.

Edited by old'un