loriusgarrulus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Walker570 said:

What some of us seem to not appreciate is just how many thoroughly stupid inconsiderate selfish people live in this country.

Yeah, there is no shortage of stupidity.

Just now, CZ550Kevlar said:

So under the new lockdown, gunships must close..

I'm also guessing no hunting or shooting?

Yes, do not leave home unless it is absolutely necessary, i.e. for essential shopping, for healthcare, for 1 period of exercise or for essential work only.

Just now, johnphilip said:

I would presume  agriculture  will carry on as we need crops to grow , and stocks to feed , with those crops , 

Indeed, that is critical infrastructure and has to continue.  Whether a tenuous claim of recreational shooters booming at pigeons and crows counts as essential I wouldn't like to see tested in court.  Likewise with having a mooch around the farm with a gun, especially for anyone who has to travel to a permission.

1 minute ago, Stonepark said:

The latter is good exercise if a mooch about the farm......

And if you think about it your exercising and shooing "gathering essential food" at the same tome. very socially distanced. Might be bending the rules in that no exact criteria drawn up to stipulate its allowing. but, i saw no mention of vets but bet they are still operating and you could take your dog if need be, it just was not stipulated that’s all.

1 minute ago, lancer425 said:

And if you think about it your exercising and shooing "gathering essential food" at the same tome. very socially distanced. Might be bending the rules in that no exact criteria drawn up to stipulate its allowing. but, i saw no mention of vets but bet they are still operating and you could take your dog if need be, it just was not stipulated that’s all.

Would you like to have that tested in court with the potential of a revocation for wilful disregard of emergency and exceptional legislation?

1 minute ago, bwana said:

Shooting counts as my daily outdoor exercise.

As for police enforcement , what police and where ?

Same question as above.

2 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Its one of those statements that those people that dont want to work take as exactly that,

"Ooo brilliant ive been told not to go to work by Borris" 

Well it's kind of interesting. I'm on UC atm, in theory I have to look for and take any work offered to me. If I don't then I can be sanctioned. However, with the current situation I'm happy enough to hole up and do my bit to stop the virus spreading. I've been pretty isolated for the last 3 weeks simply because I can't afford to go out. I probably could get work delivering food for a supermarket but do I really want to risk catching CV? I'm not in a high risk category, although as a smoker it's slightly concerning. In a purely selfish way, I don't want to risk my health. The chances of dying are slim but the chances of long term damage may not be.

It's not like I haven't been looking for work. I should have had an interview today but the company cancelled it.

This is the problem when things aren't spelled out exactly,  everyone thinks going to work is essential because they have to in order to earn a living and pay the Bill's.

It sounded as if Boris was saying only go out for food, medicine, or work if you can't do it from home?

That's how I heard it, don't meet friends don't go play in the park, dont go up Snowdonia with thousands of others.

I think he should have gone further,  apparently the tube was packed in London they certainly weren't 2 metres apart.

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

Would you like to have that tested in court with the potential of a revocation for wilful disregard of emergency and exceptional legislation?

Same question as above.

I really do not know how it would stand up in court, and if they actually worded it in the same dramatic way as you just did.

But i see no difference in me going out with my son in the car and walking around private land with two .22 rifles exercising  for an hour, then returning home in a sealed car and bringing the evening meal of rabbits home.

Or going out walking in the local park, and then calling in the supermarket queuing and buying a frozen chicken for the evening meal.

Out of those two scenarios, i feel the former is far and away the safer from a national health point of view, even if it may or may not technically been mentioned in Boris speech.

If i can not have the former i will just stay home, the latter is way too risky for me.

30 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It is totally unworkable. I have a friend who is an agricultural contractor, he climbs in his tractor cab and goes hedge trimming, doesn't speak to anyone all day and goes home at night. 

He is the person who will suffer from this along with similar people.  Will the police stop his tractor on route and arrest him ...totally ridiculous and unworkable.

I have a farmer friend who needs 40 acres of ground ploughed in the next 10 days whilst the weather holds and a contractor has got to do that, essential work yes but where does the contractor stand driving to the farm. 

Surely farming, agri contracting are essential. It's prep'n and maintaining land to grow food?  They flat out prep'n and drilling round me now that the heavy land has finally dried out. And those crops will surely need protecting? 😉 All generally done in isolation.  Tho when mate got some carts earlier today from a big local agri / building supplies (Clarkes) they told him they might be closing and that carts may be in short supply.   NB      

What about a builder/trades,,, say today you ripped out a bathroom or floor or roof,,now as per list your not deemed essential,,,,what do you do tomorrow and where would you get materials to leave someone's house in a fit safe state of repair,, not necessarily finished just safe....

Or hows about this,,,electronics shops to close,,,say your fridge or cooker breaks,,wheres the new one coming from or the trades person to fit it,,,,,

No actual thought has been put to this.....blanket closure not as thought through as it needed to be!!

Still unclear to me what is allowed in respect of working. The directive states 

● Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

so can the builders working on my house work as long as they stay 2m away from me and others? 

The directive says nothing about only travel to perform ‘critical’ work? 

Some people will probably whinge and whine about having their "hooman rights" infringed upon, but Boris has very little choice. The virus seems to be spreading at an increasing rate, and he has tried to do as much as he can to keep the economy ticking over, albeit slowly, whilst protecting peoples health, but this action was probably unavoidable.

He really is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Well I cant drive my bus from home , albeit only taking the children of essential workers to day care centres. 

At the end of his speech ,Boris said, "sadly, we will lose thousands" . I am going to do my best , not  to be one of them .

Stay safe , wash your hands , treat everyone as if they are infected , and you wont go far wrong.

My your god be with you.

I've just started lambing and my family and employees are out and about on the farm opening and shutting gates, climbing over fences etc and generally going flat out.

The last thing I can afford is for one or more of us to go down with this dreadful virus and for that reason I have tonight phoned the people who shoot on the farm informing them that they are no longer welcome. I can't risk someone spreading the virus via something they may have touched to one of us.

This is my farming business at stake and it's not worth risking it for the sake of someones hobby.

Can’t work out the travel for work bit. Is it correct that it’s essential that I travel for work as I can’t work from home? (building maintenance) which one part of the GOV website states or is it, the work I’m travelling to undertake must be essential? as a separate  page suggests.

10 minutes ago, Trevorevans said:

Can’t work out the travel for work bit. Is it correct that it’s essential that I travel for work as I can’t work from home? (building maintenance) which one part of the GOV website states or is it, the work I’m travelling to undertake must be essential? as a separate  page suggests.

I think the page you are referring to regarding key (critical) workers relates to the provision of educational support for children of key workers. I interpret it that if you can’t work from home then you can travel to work. 

But it’s not clear.