Furloughed again

sam triple

Was initially furloughed for 3 weeks which at the start was really difficult as we weren’t officially allowed out apart from an hour a day excercise this was then pushed out to 6 weeks weather was decent ,out early with the dog even before 5 am people were milling about, the rules had just changed so managed to get the bike out and go for a good ride out which made me feel a lot better,a day up in the woods with a mate and the dog was great ,looking forward to returning to work this coming Monday , then got a phone call last night that my furlough had been extended for another 4 weeks meaning 10 weeks off in all ,so June 29 th I should be back to work , already been told there will be no more early and late  shift  , just a core day shift so that’s £2800 a year wage cut , and mass redundancies on the way 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, ratass said:

I've been off since early march on furlough got letter last week bin made redundant.so end of june its new job time,things aint to good.

JB

Feel for you good luck in your search for a new job , the uncertainty of it all makes things worse 

I’ve been flat out working doing hospital discharges this whole time... I’d rather have been on furlough on 80% pay tbh... NHS and councils making dodgy decisions, rushing to get people out of hospital as they were expecting a flood that so far never came. 

I personally managed to avoid sending anyone into care homes where they knowingly had the virus... but not all staff will have avoided this. Many a worker will have been pressured into making discharges into homes with the virus and this ended up killing the person, or the person they discharged was carrying and gave it to the others in the home and killed a load of them! 

Some staff on edge that they made a mistake and worried about losing their jobs and careers over it. 

At present just glad that I still have a job that’s fairly secure. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’ve been flat out working doing hospital discharges this whole time... I’d rather have been on furlough on 80% pay tbh... NHS and councils making dodgy decisions, rushing to get people out of hospital as they were expecting a flood that so far never came. 

I personally managed to avoid sending anyone into care homes where they knowingly had the virus... but not all staff will have avoided this. Many a worker will have been pressured into making discharges into homes with the virus and this ended up killing the person, or the person they discharged was carrying and gave it to the others in the home and killed a load of them! 

Some staff on edge that they made a mistake and worried about losing their jobs and careers over it. 

At present just glad that I still have a job that’s fairly secure. 

You are indeed lucky if your job is secure ,I work for a company that makes fuel pumps for Airbus ,Boeing etc ,if the  Boeing 737 fiasco wasn’t enough to see their shares plummet  then Coronavirus certainly hasn’t helped matters , where I am and before this kicked off the company spent £100ks in new plant and was installed just before I was furloughed now sitting there unused like a white elephant 

16 hours ago, sam triple said:

already been told there will be no more early and late  shift  , just a core day shift so that’s £2800 a year wage cut , and mass redundancies on the way 

Hopefully the other shifts will come back eventually,  when you look at Rolls Royce making 9000 redundant, then add all the work they won't be sending to sub con, flat days for a while is better than not working. 

My last job was supplying the same company's you do, so the lads there will be in the same situation you are.

14 hours ago, Mice! said:

Hopefully the other shifts will come back eventually,  when you look at Rolls Royce making 9000 redundant, then add all the work they won't be sending to sub con, flat days for a while is better than not working. 

My last job was supplying the same company's you do, so the lads there will be in the same situation you are.

I hope so but I’ve heard some reports that aerospace industry will take 10 years to return to “ normal “  , I’m just hoping I’ve still got a job when I eventually return 

36 minutes ago, sam triple said:

I hope so but I’ve heard some reports that aerospace industry will take 10 years to return to “ normal “  , I’m just hoping I’ve still got a job when I eventually return 

I had just started working in oil and gas when 9/11 happened the bottom fell out of the market big time, there will be a dip obviously but people want sunshine guaranteed on their holidays and will want to go abroad,  probably not this year but next year for sure unless there are still restrictions in place. 

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there are going to be a lot of pubs shut for good after this year's financial  down turn and many small businesses 

A few pubs in my home town depend on Fair week for a large wedge of their yearly income, and not only losing their regular income as well, it will be interesting to see how things pan out.
I do feel sorry for the more obscure pubs really, but you have to move with the times, and I think this Covid business could be the end of any business which was struggling anyhow. 

All the local village pubs do food anyhow, they have to to survive, and just diversified into takeaway food and all seem to be doing ok. 
Ours owns a static and tourer site also, and they were telling me last night that they’re now receiving many calls asking if they can come over.
Once they get the go ahead we’re going to be swamped, so landlords are trying to create a method whereby they can cater to them with a closed pub whilst employing social distancing. 

50 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I had just started working in oil and gas when 9/11 happened the bottom fell out of the market big time, there will be a dip obviously but people want sunshine guaranteed on their holidays and will want to go abroad,  probably not this year but next year for sure unless there are still restrictions in place. 

This is very different to 9/11. The after effects of 9/11 didn’t materially impact people’s incomes, and , other than specific sectors, relatively few jobs were lost. This is very different and there is going to be massive unemployment. So whilst people will still want holidays and other luxuries many will not be able to afford them, or even if they can will be nervous about spending money. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

This is very different to 9/11. The after effects of 9/11 didn’t materially impact people’s incomes, and , other than specific sectors, relatively few jobs were lost. This is very different and there is going to be massive unemployment. So whilst people will still want holidays and other luxuries many will not be able to afford them, or even if they can will be nervous about spending money. 

I think that sums it up perfectly well without going all wordy!:good:

Not a good place to be, anyone who splashes their cash around will probably end up in trouble.

Went back to work after 2 months furlough, my work place has changed considerably, no overtime at all, hours have changed, we had 23 vans on the road we now have 12, company used to shut around 7 in the evening its now 4pm and no later. We all had our own rounds delivering hire equipment to the heating and air conditioning trades on building sites. Most building sites such as Battersea Power Station are not running at full strength, for instance the power station project before lockdown had over 3600 contractors working on it. there are now just over 400, My area was South West London. I now do pretty much everywhere as there is not enough work to make up the routes. Friday I had Brixton, Tooting, Acton, Ealing and Kiburn. only a few jobs in each area but a bit of traveling involved and what with the traffic getting back to normal, it was bit of a mission. and what with having to be back at the yard by 3.30pm no exceptions its almost impossible. Been told that this is the way its going to be for the foreseeable future. Without the overtime and being on flat rate, I was better off sitting on my ***** at home on furlough. A lot easier I can tell ye.

I very much doubt all the drivers will be back, and knowing my boss this is probably the excuse he has been waiting for to trim things up a bit. 

I have been very lucky in that the lockdown has only affected to a small degree me if at all. Work has carried on as normal so far, and the new site that we are planning to build this year is still going full steam ahead, but some of the things that I was looking at spending money on this year have been put on hold for the moment just in case the money is needed for other thing! So I can see its going to be very tough for some over the next few months!

I was furloughed for 6 days when work asked me in for a meeting. Went in to be told they were shutting my department as it might not profitable to continue and we were being made redundant. 
I went back a week later to collect my tools and there is one of the fitting shop lads who wasn’t furloughed in there doing my job . 
I think in these difficult times it will show the integrity of some employers 

2 minutes ago, stokie said:

I was furloughed for 6 days when work asked me in for a meeting. Went in to be told they were shutting my department as it might not profitable to continue and we were being made redundant. 
I went back a week later to collect my tools and there is one of the fitting shop lads who wasn’t furloughed in there doing my job . 
I think in these difficult times it will show the integrity of some employers 

Or in their defence- just finishing off an order?

This will be used by some to trim their workforce, especially when it’s been proven that fifty can do the same work as one hundred 

56 minutes ago, AVB said:

Imagine having moved to Arbroath working in oil and gas, there was a massive impact on the east coast as the oil price dropped so low, a lot of lads simply left because they had been working 7 days a week doing unlimited overtime.

I think this will be similar, there is going to be an effect obviously but I think the Gov will pump money out to avoid a massive downturn. 

And don't forget many out there waste money like its water, between mobile phones, tv packages,  cars, hair, nails multiple foreign holidays,  designer clothes the list is probably endless ( obviously shooting accessories don't count) many will have to change their spending habits but I'd imagine foreign holidays will still be high up on the wanted list.

47 minutes ago, fatchap said:

was better off sitting on my ***** at home on furlough. A lot easier I can tell ye.

I've heard that said by a few lads, our place is looking at going to 7 days a week with people spread across different shifts so less people on site at the same time.

Just now, Jaymo said:

Or in their defence- just finishing off an order?

This will be used by some to trim their workforce, especially when it’s been proven that fifty can do the same work as one hundred 

We finished all the orders before we went off on furlough