Thoughts on a Second Wave! Then a Second Lockdown.

TIGHTCHOKE

Another good article from Paul Goodman;

We must live with the Coronavirus either until a vaccine against it is available; or until herd immunity, treatments or a viable antibody test reduce its force; or else until or unless it simply runs out of steam.

Unless we are prepared to risk the NHS collapsing, which is a very distant prospect at the moment, but a long way from being an impossibility.

However, the combination of lockdown fever, furlough, Black Lives Matter, summer and the fledgling test and trace system don’t bode well.

You may well think that polls suggesting support for the shutdown and fear of the virus sit oddly with today’s pictures of teeming beaches at Bournemouth or celebrating crowds outside Anfield.

But those surveys may be out of date; or the respondents have may been telling the pollsters how they think other people should behave, or else different groups of people may have different attitudes.

What’s certain is that long periods of repression are sometimes followed by frenzied outbreaks of celebration, like the austerities of Cromwell’s Commonwealth being followed by the salaciousness of Restoration comedy.

Feast-to-famine, famine-to-feast lurches are built into the economic cycle itself, and woe betide those who proclaim  “an end to boom and bust”.

So it may be that while the dangers of catching the virus in the open air are negligible – as last month’s shift in the lockdown rules seemed to suggest – and Ministers therefore shouldn’t fuss about crowds on beaches…

…There is nonetheless a lotus-eating mood around at present, sustained by furlough, and people driven stir-crazy by lockdown are ready to meet and party and mix in relatively confined spaces.

The potential knock-on problems haven’t been helped by the police’s initial surrender to the logic of mob protest in London and Bristol.

Most people don’t pick up much from politics, but are very sharp in reading the signs of the times.  The disturbances two nights ago in Brixton and last night in Notting Hall may be an indication that weakness has consequences.

Twenty-two police were injured in the first incident – by way of comparison, six were hurt after the recent fascist thuggery in central London (a term we prefer to the more loaded “hard right”).

The Government’s planned response to any local outbreaks of the virus is to follow the South Korean model – or, nearer to home, the German one.

Some 650,000 people in North Rhine-Westphalia are back in shutdown after an outbreak at a meat factory (the combination of close working conditions, migrant workers, and cramped accomodation is a dangerous one).

Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock are hoping that a similar model will be implemented in a similar way if necessary. But that would depend on enough testing taking place and enough tracing working well.

Those traced must also be relied upon to social distance voluntarily and effectively.  If all that doesn’t work, we find it hard to see how a second and further national lockdowns can be avoided.

The very last thing anyone wants to think about as we emerged from such a shutdown is going back into it.  And we hope that it doesn’t happen.

But the fact is that the Prime Minister may not have been right when he said in May that “we have been through the initial peak – but it is coming down the mountain that is often more dangerous”.

The disturbing truth is that we may only be in the foothills of the climb.  Or, to change the image. we like to think that the Coronavirus is fading in the rear view mirror.  But it may only be a trick of the light.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think any prime minister / govt'................is on a loosing battle....................the lockdown has been treated as a jolly jape by the semi educated (thick)    and it is wearing thin and they are fed up..........

to draw a paralell...it was like the Bomber boys during WW2....they were asked why they keep on doing it when they have very little chance of returning home...........when they were in the briefing room they looked around and always assumed it would be someone else who would lose their life.......

that is the "optomism of youth".......and you mix that with the covid-19 and poorly educated ....you are fighting a battle you aint going to win

I personally believe that 'outbreaks' are likely given the nature of the beast.

I think any wave though ought to be just a ripple. We've far more testing in place, more awareness, more social distancing measures, and as hospitals understand more about the effects of the virus, less people are dying from it.

In short, the type of world where this peaked seems like a long way away now.

47 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i think any prime minister / govt'................is on a loosing battle....................the lockdown has been treated as a jolly jape by the semi educated (thick)    and it is wearing thin and they are fed up..........

to draw a paralell...it was like the Bomber boys during WW2....they were asked why they keep on doing it when they have very little chance of returning home...........when they were in the briefing room they looked around and always assumed it would be someone else who would lose their life.......

that is the "optomism of youth".......and you mix that with the covid-19 and poorly educated ....you are fighting a battle you aint going to win

You can’t quote the war any more! 

48 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Just now, AVB said:

You can’t quote the war any more! 

But he is quite correct and well within context!

The reaction to the inevitable second wave is going to be hilarious. The press will have a field day, the Facebook ‘Karen’s’ will explode with rage, Piers Morgan will suffer a coronary live in air, PW will go into meltdown etc. 

9 minutes ago, AVB said:

The reaction to the inevitable second wave is going to be hilarious. The press will have a field day, the Facebook ‘Karen’s’ will explode with rage, Piers Morgan will suffer a coronary live in air, PW will go into meltdown etc. 

Get a good seat at the front!:good:

9 minutes ago, AVB said:

And it won’t be all the plebs fault, it’ll be the governments of course...

im appalled at their weakness though to be honest. One moment, you aren’t allowed to go to the funeral of a close relative, next moment, thousands of black lives matter “protestors” are allowed to congregate unchallenged. There isn’t even institutionalised racism here, or police problems like America. Look at what happened with knife crime in London when they backed off searching black people for knives 🙄

If I decided to take my daughter to the beach (empty near me, wouldn’t go to a busy one) and the police asked what I was doing, I’d just say I’m going to the beach to protest blm.....

14 minutes ago, AVB said:

The press will have a field day, the Facebook ‘Karen’s’ will explode with rage, Piers Morgan will suffer a coronary live in air, PW will go into meltdown etc. 

At least there is a silver lining in the cloud

There was a brilliant example on the news the other day, a clip of a pair of body beautiful tat covered Adonis's on Bournemouth beach being interviewed, they both showed the stupidity of a Gold fish looking for a corner to P in its bowl when asked about Covid-19. 

"Well its like this mate i dont know anyone who's ad it do oi mate" 

If the idiot fishing trawler was out that day it would have had the catch of a life time. What makes it more funny is there all captured on film, so the idiots can be seen by everyone. 

44 minutes ago, AVB said:

I think it all depends on which "second wave" we're talking about.. the one after the first trip to the beaches (two weeks before VE day), the VE day one, one of the many BLM ones or any other I've missed out, 

I think the "second wave" has been thrown about far too often and now it's as allusive as Mr Pimpernel.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

Your right the Tory Govt was always going to treat it like a jolly jape as its do as i say not as I do they were so fed up they had to create imaginery eye tests. 

Fortunately much of the country has seen through it all and followed the lead. 

I just tell anyone that asks that I'm testing my eyesight. And anecdotally from friends "in the job" they tell me that's what people now say to them. Johnson's failure to take action against Cummings is now everybody else's "Get Out Of Jail" card.

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

Your right the Tory Govt was always going to treat it like a jolly jape as its do as i say not as I do they were so fed up they had to create imaginery eye tests. 

Fortunately much of the country has seen through it all and followed the lead. 

+1.

We can’t stay locked down for ever; life HAS to go on and get back to normal asap, whether there’s a spike, second wave or whatever. We’ll just have to get on with it as best we can. 
What really annoyed me the other night was Kuensberg asking Boris if he would take personal responsibility for a second wave! Gordon Bennett! Like he’s going to call round each household personally to ensure everyone is washing their hands and staying a metre apart! It’s down to US, and no one else; if anyones personal hygiene isn’t up to it, or they can’t decide whether or not the circumstances they’re in require a mask, or even if they should go out  if they are showing symptoms, then perhaps that person vacating the gene pool would be best all round. 
There are no guarantees I’m afraid, but that’s life. 

We have now had two days in a row where the week - week death total has been 'up' on the previous week.

Friday last week 173 - Friday this week 186 - and 7 day 'rolling average' has now risen for 3 days in a row.  These are not big changes, but the figure needs to come down, not go up.

I agree that life has to go back to (a probably slightly different) 'normal', but people need to be sensible and stay within the new rules as they are relaxed.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

We can’t stay locked down for ever; life HAS to go on and get back to normal asap, whether there’s a spike, second wave or whatever. We’ll just have to get on with it as best we can. 
What really annoyed me the other night was Kuensberg asking Boris if he would take personal responsibility for a second wave! Gordon Bennett! Like he’s going to call round each household personally to ensure everyone is washing their hands and staying a metre apart! It’s down to US, and no one else; if anyones personal hygiene isn’t up to it, or they can’t decide whether or not the circumstances they’re in require a mask, or even if they should go out  if they are showing symptoms, then perhaps that person vacating the gene pool would be best all round. 
There are no guarantees I’m afraid, but that’s life. 

Lack of action by Boris guaranteed higher levels of death than there needed to be. The Sturgeon has been showing the Kipper how to do it for the past few weeks. 

12 minutes ago, oowee said:

Lack of action by Boris guaranteed higher levels of death than there needed to be. The Sturgeon has been showing the Kipper how to do it for the past few weeks. 

I don’t think so. The very high number of hospital and care home deaths in Scotland have been brushed under the tartan carpet.