10 years if lying about where you travel from - draconian?

Dave-G

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

London ITV news at 1.30. Two girls interviewed getting off a plane from Brazil this morning. They will have to go into quarantine if they came in tomorrow but today they won't

Where have you been?     Brazil

What were you doing there?     Holiday !!

what happened to essential travel only?

What are the chances that these two are going to self isolate now they are here? 

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

London ITV news at 1.30. Two girls interviewed getting off a plane from Brazil this morning. They will have to go into quarantine if they came in tomorrow but today they won't

Where have you been?     Brazil

What were you doing there?     Holiday !!

what happened to essencial travel only?

What are the chances that these two are going to self isolate now they are here? 

Where have you been ? Barbados

what were you doing there ? Holiday !!

what happened to essential travel only ?

name = Captain Tom Moore 

The two girls & Captain Tom were not breaking the law !!!

Edited by blackbird

7 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

Almost a contradiction in itself if you are talking about covid restrictions. 

10 years is ridiculous when compared to what you get for other crimes in this country. 12 months would have been the same deterrent, 10 years is nothing more than a headline grabber and fuel for the fear project.

No,it was a general observation. We`re being far too lenient with wrong doers and the result is obvious to us all!!!

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

Where have you been ? Barbados

what were you doing there ? Holiday !!

what happened to essential travel only ?

name = Captain Tom Moore 

The two girls & Captain Tom were not breaking the law !!!

Really? Captain Tom Moore went on holiday at a time when travel was permitted. 

I think this is just like all of our law. The sentences sound harsh but no one ever gets the maximum .

For instance is there anyone who disagrees that potentially by passing the rules and bringing a nasty strain of covid into the country is at least as serious as theft

But not as serious as robbery, arson, etc  then I can tell you the maximum sentence for theft is 10 years, the others are more. So to me its proportionate for all types of criminal legislation.

8 hours ago, Scully said:

I am so relieved that no one on here is actually part of our government, I really am. 

I’m willing to lead if the rest of the damned government will just come on board with my proposed war with France. Happy to compromise on all other policies but that one’s a deal breaker I’m afraid.  

Edited by WalkedUp

16 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

It's not right to go on holiday while under lockdown.

Your opinion which you're entitled to.

Doesn't make it illegal.

Even former supreme court judges think Matt Han**** has totally lost the plot.

As with so many of the Government’s Covid-19 measures, the ten-year jail sentence is important mainly for what it tells us about the mentality of the decision-makers. Laws like these can only be justified on the footing that nothing matters except keeping infections down.

They are the work of people who think that there is no limit to the human misery, oppressive cruelty, economic damage or injustice that we must put up with if it reduces infections.

Mr Hancock is on record as saying that he will “stop at nothing” to suppress Covid-19. Yet, however admirable their objectives, ministers who will stop at nothing to achieve them are dangerous fanatics.

17 hours ago, matone said:

No,it was a general observation. We`re being far too lenient with wrong doers and the result is obvious to us all!!!

The results are very clear; close the schools and lots of workplaces and the numbers fall dramatically. Wrongdoers will still be breaking the rules so don't believe the government rhetoric that they are the ones to blame for this pandemic its no ones fault no matter how hard they try and shift the blame. 

On 10/02/2021 at 05:44, matone said:

Yep ,we need to get MUCH tougher on lots of things in this country if we wish to maintain our way of life!!!

Well said. The only word that I would change is 'maintain'. 'Regain' might be more appropriate.

This clip nails is for me:

As an aside, the 10 year nonsense was designed to deflect media attention away from the review of the mess that was the supply chain contract fiasco at the start of lockdown 1.  Well I hope it is anyway because it is beyond moronic on any analysis and if anyone on here ever thought it was a runner, well I am afraid to say that you are without doubt a total idiot. 

53 minutes ago, Mungler said:

As an aside, the 10 year nonsense was designed to deflect media attention away from the review of the mess that was the supply chain contract fiasco at the start of lockdown 1.  Well I hope it is anyway because it is beyond moronic on any analysis and if anyone on here ever thought it was a runner, well I am afraid to say that you are without doubt a total idiot. 

Excellent interview! Well said that man! 

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

You can't really argue with anything he said . 

I haven’t paid much attention to the 10yr prison sentence business, as quite frankly it's just pie in the sky lunatic stuff . Real criminals don't get banged up for that long , never mind a kid that just wanted to go to ibiza to get a legover and get drunk for a week with his mates ,But , I could see a case for maybe a people smuggler that smuggled fifty infected Africans into the country in the back of a lorry , who then went on to infect thousands of people in a community,and caused a lot of Deaths. 

I know thats a pretty extreme example though , and one that I'd guess( hope) couldn't really happen.

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Your opinion which you're entitled to.

Doesn't make it illegal.

Even former supreme court judges think Matt Han**** has totally lost the plot.

No I absolutely agree, I probably didn't write my point out very well but I meant it's morally not right, but to give someone 10years is insane, especially when they've done nothing to stop economic migrants pouring in during this pandemic. The government to then punish its own people like that is disgusting.