Homing Ukrainian refugees

mel b3

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bluesj said:

A word of caution for SGC & FAC holders, How will you're local firearms licensing department view you having someone you know nothing about living in you're home?

someone i know was told that having a lodger could cause problems with he tickets!

This was another one of my concerns,  however,  if my guns made the difference between homing a family of refugees , or that family being left on the streets , then I'd get rid of my guns . 

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

This was another one of my concerns,  however,  if my guns made the difference between homing a family of refugees , or that family being left on the streets , then I'd get rid of my guns . 

Thats great if you are in a position to be able to do that and all power to you 👍

2 minutes ago, kevin55 said:

There are some big-hearted people on here!

Pw has some very good people , and I'm guessing that a few will already be seriously thinking about taking in refugees , and they're probably asking the same questions that I'm asking. 

5 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Thats great if you are in a position to be able to do that and all power to you 👍

Another thought that my good lady came up with , was that some refugees may be traumatised by guns ( very understandable) , and might not be comfortable in a house that has deer heads hanging on the wall , and a (deactivated) shotgun sitting over the fireplace .

We have a lot of questions,  and it's something that we really wouldn't want to get wrong.

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

A word of caution for SGC & FAC holders, How will you're local firearms licensing department view you having someone you know nothing about living in you're home?

someone i know was told that having a lodger could cause problems with he tickets!

Certainly a very serious consideration?

A prob;em already for some with known suspect relatives.

55 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Hats off Mel!

As for trust, rather you than me going on recent performances.

Edited by old man

35 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Another thought that my good lady came up with , was that some refugees may be traumatised by guns ( very understandable) , and might not be comfortable in a house that has deer heads hanging on the wall , and a (deactivated) shotgun sitting over the fireplace .

We have a lot of questions,  and it's something that we really wouldn't want to get wrong.

I think if you’re going to do it then just go ahead; mainland east and west Europeans have a bigger tradition of hunting and therefore a closer affinity with where their food comes from than us Brits. I doubt any of them would give it a second thought, although your licensing authority might. Saying that, in my opinion it’s none of their business who you invite into your home, unless they’re ‘known’ to the police of course, 

If you’re going to do it, just do it and stop worrying about it. 

59 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

just store your guns at a gunsmith.........dont do anything to radicle

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

Good point !!

Hello, lots of good posts, I think most agree on principle but needs to be done with caution, 

46 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think if you’re going to do it then just go ahead; mainland east and west Europeans have a bigger tradition of hunting and therefore a closer affinity with where their food comes from than us Brits. I doubt any of them would give it a second thought, although your licensing authority might. Saying that, in my opinion it’s none of their business who you invite into your home, unless they’re ‘known’ to the police of course, 

If you’re going to do it, just do it and stop worrying about it. 

It wasn't really a case of hunting tradition , it was more a case of people that might have been shot at , and might now be terrified of guns . Its not so much a worry , its more of a question that needs to be asked , so that issues could be avoided , rather than dealt with later.

I don't like nasty surprises,  that's why I try my best to have a plan in place with just about everything in life.👍

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just store your guns at a gunsmith.........dont do anything to radicle

With my collection of old wrecks , it would be cheaper to scrap them than store them.

I've just spent a couple of hours getting as much info as I can from the net.  In all honesty , the country doesn't seem to have a shortage of people willing to take in refugees . It looks to my very untrained eye , to be the visa issue that is the main stumbling block( I was already aware of that) . All that we can do is wait until tomorrow,  and sign up to the government scheme , and see where that takes us.

Edited by mel b3

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

joking aside now.......the biggest problem facing us now is........Priti Patel..............the most useless peice of meat on this earth....we have an oportunity in this brexit world that cannot be missed...if we get our act together and really HELP these people NOW...we will be first in the que to help the Ukraines rebuild their country and we will have made a solid connection within europe for trading and friendship

Priti Patel is a total waste of oxygen..........get rid of the gobby slug 

Hmmmmmm ??????  A lot of grey suits hiding behind her undoubtably causing her problems on purpose. The Civil Service in this country needs a seriously good clear out.

You can bet there are going to be a fair few ner do wells looking for the opportunity to get in here. Yes Mel/Linda, a great offer and I would go for a woman with one child of school age. Approach your local school and make arrangements for the child to have schooling.  There are always going to be ifs and buts but it is finally your decision.

24 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Hmmmmmm ??????  A lot of grey suits hiding behind her undoubtably causing her problems on purpose. The Civil Service in this country needs a seriously good clear out.

You can bet there are going to be a fair few ner do wells looking for the opportunity to get in here. Yes Mel/Linda, a great offer and I would go for a woman with one child of school age. Approach your local school and make arrangements for the child to have schooling.  There are always going to be ifs and buts but it is finally your decision.

I wouldn't think that theirs much scope to profit from taking anyone in to be honest nev( life experience tells me that some will try though) . At £350 per month , you wouldn't have much change left after feeding and clothing them , topping up phones , and any other expenses etc. especially if you were looking after two or three people. 

59 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

It wasn't really a case of hunting tradition , it was more a case of people that might have been shot at , and might now be terrified of guns . Its not so much a worry , its more of a question that needs to be asked , so that issues could be avoided , rather than dealt with later.

I don't like nasty surprises,  that's why I try my best to have a plan in place with just about everything in life.👍

With my collection of old wrecks , it would be cheaper to scrap them than store them.

I've just spent a couple of hours getting as much info as I can from the net.  In all honesty , the country doesn't seem to have a shortage of people willing to take in refugees . It looks to my very untrained eye , to be the visa issue that is the main stumbling block( I was already aware of that) . All that we can do is wait until tomorrow,  and sign up to the government scheme , and see where that takes us.

I think there will be a huge shortage of places. It would be reasonable to assume that in the region of 5 million + refugees will travel if the war drags on for several years ala syria. I am sure that the govt will want a series of checks carried out on providers including DBS. There will also need to be some sort of intro system and follow up etc. 

It would also be reasonable to expect a miss match between those looking, the government system and those offering space. Then many of those placed will want to move on and some providers will want their homes back. 

Then there will be those trying to exploit the situation, looking for slaves, claiming more than is due etc. 

All as we can do is offer with the right intentions and hope that we can make a small contribution to improve the lives of someone. 

35 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I wouldn't think that theirs much scope to profit from taking anyone in to be honest nev( life experience tells me that some will try though) . At £350 per month , you wouldn't have much change left after feeding and clothing them , topping up phones , and any other expenses etc. especially if you were looking after two or three people. 

there’s billions in property and cash to pay for refugee assistance no shortage of Russian funds to pay the bill so any lack of help is ALL down to gumps lack of guts to take it 

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

All as we can do is offer with the right intentions and hope that we can make a small contribution to improve the lives of someone. 

This is very much the priority over all of the questions.  We just need to wait and see what tomorrow brings,  when the government site is up and running .👍

17 minutes ago, islandgun said:

It seems that they are only looking for people to offer accommodation if they live in a city 

I saw that too but the focus will have to shift to the needs of the displaced rather than the suppliers.  It's going to take all sorts to satisfy the demand even if it is at all possible. The cities will be the easier starting point as they can be assessed quicker but it will take all of us working together to get through this. 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

It seems that they are only looking for people to offer accommodation if they live in a city 

That seems like a massively daft restriction,  but one that wouldn't really surprise me.

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

joking aside now.......the biggest problem facing us now is........Priti Patel..............the most useless peice of meat on this earth....we have an oportunity in this brexit world that cannot be missed...if we get our act together and really HELP these people NOW...we will be first in the que to help the Ukraines rebuild their country and we will have made a solid connection within europe for trading and friendship

Priti Patel is a total waste of oxygen..........get rid of the gobby slug 

I said the before it became fashionable. And about her equally useless predecessor at the Home Office Theresa May. Both are a "Pound Shop" pastiche of Margaret Thatcher each with their stupid gurning face and fixed rictus grin reminding the unfortunate onlooker something from a Disney "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. Both promoted way beyond their level intelligence which was more commensurate to that of the of chalkboard monitor at a girls' grammar school.

Edited by enfieldspares

From what I have read families should be ‘self sufficient’ in the sense that they are entitled to the standard benefits package but minus the housing support element. 

I would imagine most will be itching to get into work or volunteering to provide translation or educational type services. 

2 hours ago, ph5172 said:

From what I have read families should be ‘self sufficient’ in the sense that they are entitled to the standard benefits package but minus the housing support element. 

I would imagine most will be itching to get into work or volunteering to provide translation or educational type services. 

Ah , so they have their own finances ?. 

I don't know why , but I just imagined that they would turn up hungry , with no money , and just the clothes that they were wearing . 

That would certainly make things much easier. 

9 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

there is an article I've just seen on the BBC site about homing refugee's you might find interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60727293

That's very interesting Paul.  Thankyou very much mate 👍

12 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Hiya guys .

Her good self and me , have spent the last week or so talking about taking in Ukrainian refugees.  We'd like to help , but we're unsure of the practicalities of it . 

We have a spare bedroom ( tiny) , that would be fine for a single person , but my lad has said that he'd be happy enough to move into the small room , so that we could offer his larger bedroom,  enabling us to take two or more refugees. 

We also have the option of turning the living room into a bedsit , and putting a triple bunk bed in there.

Has anyone got any previous experience of taking in refugees ? ( not Ukrainian I know). And can you offer any advice.

Some of the concerns we had were .

Can we afford it ? (it appears now that the government has that one covered).

Language / communication difficulties ( do most Ukrainians speak English?,  as our Ukrainian is zero).

Cultural differences.  Are British and Ukrainian cultures massively different,  and would we be able to rub along together ?.

Food differences.  Would we be able to eat the same food?, or would it mean separate cooking/ meal times ?.

Do the refugees look after themselves?.

How difficult is it to live in an overcrowded house ? , and could I tolerate screaming kids now that I'm getting on a bit ?.

Would it be better to offer accommodation to an old couple , or a mother and children , or someone with disabilities ?.

Would it be better/easier all around,  just to rent a bedsit (Theirs some just down the road) , and sponsor refugees in their own place ?.

How might homing refugees effect my fac/sgc ?.

Can we trust the government to send genuine Ukrainian refugees that are in genuine need , and not a handful of African economic migrants. 

Any other advice regarding other questions that we haven't thought about yet.

Hopefully someone can offer some advice from real experience. 

Feel free to pm me if you'd rather keep things private.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice guys.

Hello, my only advice on the subject is take utmost caution as to giving  a home to complete strangers. Will they have background checks for any criminal or undesirable activities? Will any history of wrong doing be disclosed, etc etc etc. What is the position if they refuse to leave on request?  Please be very careful who you invite into your home and local community. I do not have an answer to refugee situation, but I'm not certain an open door free for all , putting extra strain on NHS, schools, housing, benefit payments etc, should be the first option. How many should we take? 10 or 10,000 or 10,000000?

Edited by benbobailey