Legal definition of capacity

B725

Possibly not what you are looking for, as it's not a firm assurance - but generally, in the absence of a legal definition, the law presumes the common or everyday definition.

There are some slight qualifications to this - for instance, the RTA takes on board the highway code. So any changes in that then filter down.

Edited by PeterHenry

The capacity of a gun cabinet should not (but does with some police forces) have anything to do with the amount that you can fit inside. For example, I have a 5 gun cabinet but I have put 8 shotguns in there. When the FEO called 2 years ago regarding my renewal, I showed him the guns inside the cabinet, and he wasn't concerned one bit.

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, B725 said:

What is the legal definition of capacity of a gun cabinet ?

No such animal.

In these matters, the force is free to interpret the guidance from the home office how they see fit. 

So, some forces will be entirely unbothered if you exceed the manufacturer’s stated capacity, others won’t. 

Seems like a poor choice of hill to die on in my opinion, cabinets are more expensive than they were before the pandemic, but still relatively affordable compared with the cost of what’s stored in them.

Gun cabinet rules - what you need to know as a responsible shooter (shootinguk.co.uk)

How many guns can I keep in my gun safe?

Q: I’ve just bought another gun, bringing my total up to five. But my gun safe only says it holds four. Should I buy a larger one? 

A: In fact you can store as many guns in your gun safe as it will hold. The manufacturer’s description is just a guide. Try installing the gun cabinet lying down as this can double it.

57 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Gun cabinet rules - what you need to know as a responsible shooter (shootinguk.co.uk)

How many guns can I keep in my gun safe?

Q: I’ve just bought another gun, bringing my total up to five. But my gun safe only says it holds four. Should I buy a larger one? 

A: In fact you can store as many guns in your gun safe as it will hold. The manufacturer’s description is just a guide. Try installing the gun cabinet lying down as this can double it.

Thank you for that I didn't think there was any thing other than what you could fit in it. Still cannot understand why they are asking the question 

I had a phone call when I bought my fourth gun from the police asking me how I was going to store it as I only had a 3 gun cabinet.

They arranged a visit to see my new security arrangement which was to take the foam out of the 3 gun cabinet and put my fourth gun in it instead.

This cunning plan was spotted straightaway by the observant officer who said it was the same 3 gun cabinet ,ah I said but how many guns are in it ? 4 he replied  I didn’t have to point out that now it was a 4 gun cabinet he left quite happy ,a complete waste of everyone’s time.

9 hours ago, holloway said:

I had a phone call when I bought my fourth gun from the police asking me how I was going to store it as I only had a 3 gun cabinet.

They arranged a visit to see my new security arrangement which was to take the foam out of the 3 gun cabinet and put my fourth gun in it instead.

This cunning plan was spotted straightaway by the observant officer who said it was the same 3 gun cabinet ,ah I said but how many guns are in it ? 4 he replied  I didn’t have to point out that now it was a 4 gun cabinet he left quite happy ,a complete waste of everyone’s time.

😂

13 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Email them a picture of the cabinet with the guns fitting sensibly inside 

This.

Kent Police once queried that I had 5 guns in what was theoretically a 3 gun cabinet and I emailed them a photo of the 5 guns which were top and tailed to get them in and they were quite happy. So long as the cabinet door shuts and locks, there shouldn’t be any problem as the guns are secure to comply with Home Office guidance.

No doubt varying police forces put their own interpretation on things though.

OB

Being realistic here, the storage of ONE gun should be equal to that of the storage of 100 guns, within the home. There is NO capacity size for a cabinet as long as the door closes and locks. I removed the gun spacers from my cabinet and stored top to tail  I can get around 15 guns in it. The spacer fitted was for 5 guns  ?  Over the years I have heard such ridiculous suggestions made by various Forces, that they have become Farces. " If you have more than 3 guns, then you must have window locks" being just one. The Firearms Act states 'a securely fastened cabinet ' and makes no reference to the numbers within it, to the best of my knowledge. 

Edited by Westley