Small boat owners

Stephen-H

Is there any small boat owners that would be able to point me in the right direction of books / possible courses to learn about small boat ownership , learning about states of tide , wind direction , wind over tide ,navigation, Anchor work , setting up drifts & to learn a basic general knowledge at sea & of general small boats. 

Thanks in advance 

11 minutes ago, old man said:

Don't ever underestimate it.

Always life jackets for all, always a secondary means of propulsion and a suitable anchor with plenty of rope on it.

Find that book that i had and enjoy.

Cheers I had a couple sea kayaks a few years back & would always go out with jackets, radio or phone & we had a Anchor pulley system attached while static fishing around the bays of North Wales 

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Best advice is probably: don’t try and learn it all from books. Try and find someone to mentor you at first.

100% you can read & learn as much as you can from books but you learn more & quickly by doing it hands on. I asked the skipper of a charter boat I was fishing on & he said there are courses etc but you learn more by just going out & trying there are a lot of constantly changing situations & factors tho while at sea which could be overwhelming on a first few outings .Having someone more seasoned accompanying  will be the way to go perhaps 👍

2 minutes ago, old man said:

Don't ever underestimate it.

Always life jackets for all, always a secondary means of propulsion and a suitable anchor with plenty of rope on it.

Find that book that i had and enjoy.

:good: Absolutely.

Please believe me when I say that I don't mean to sound patronising - such is not my intention, but it's hard to avoid. Well done for asking with a good point from LB. Having spent over 10 years looking out to sea up to some 4 hours or more each day, it doesn't take too long to realise just how many clowns are quite prepared to put themselves, any others on the boat and those possibly having to go and rescue them in harm's way. I can't recall how many times I've left it to the cox'n's decision as to whether or not he might like to offer some advice. This was a launch with which I had radio contact and myself or another colleague had spotted something which could not be seen from the launch

It's worth remembering that even the professionals can slip up. It must be said that spotting a boat way out with the radar which is heading your way in a dead straight line and then picking it up visually and watching it continue until it beaches and within a couple of seconds it becomes obvious that there's no one on board but that there would have been when it left the docks, is non too pleasant.

I started out on kayaks primarily for fishing, then moved to a jetski, a serious offshore fishing machine and have recently got my first boat. I've been lucky in that I've been going out on other people's boats for many years and tried to absorb as much information as possible. Having said that, I definitely got myself in to some sticky situations in the early days and probably survived through luck more than judgement. Subsequently, I've done a few courses which help to build confidence.

I would try and go out with others, read as much as you can and use YouTube, it's a great resource. However, some formal courses will underpin everything else.

https://www.rya.org.uk/training

43 minutes ago, wymberley said:

:good: Absolutely.

Please believe me when I say that I don't mean to sound patronising - such is not my intention, but it's hard to avoid. Well done for asking with a good point from LB. Having spent over 10 years looking out to sea up to some 4 hours or more each day, it doesn't take too long to realise just how many clowns are quite prepared to put themselves, any others on the boat and those possibly having to go and rescue them in harm's way. I can't recall how many times I've left it to the cox'n's decision as to whether or not he might like to offer some advice. This was a launch with which I had radio contact and myself or another colleague had spotted something which could not be seen from the launch

It's worth remembering that even the professionals can slip up. It must be said that spotting a boat way out with the radar which is heading your way in a dead straight line and then picking it up visually and watching it continue until it beaches and within a couple of seconds it becomes obvious that there's no one on board but that there would have been when it left the docks, is non too pleasant.

That does sound a rather horrible experience! I find the sea a fascinating but scary place at times & as you said just how quickly something that seems so far away is upon you or happening so quickly 

40 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

I started out on kayaks primarily for fishing, then moved to a jetski, a serious offshore fishing machine and have recently got my first boat. I've been lucky in that I've been going out on other people's boats for many years and tried to absorb as much information as possible. Having said that, I definitely got myself in to some sticky situations in the early days and probably survived through luck more than judgement. Subsequently, I've done a few courses which help to build confidence.

I would try and go out with others, read as much as you can and use YouTube, it's a great resource. However, some formal courses will underpin everything else.

https://www.rya.org.uk/training

Thanks for the link will check it out 👍 YouTube is a brillant place to start learning I'm never off it 

56 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Beat me to it - I done RYA back in the Day for windsurfing and sailing - I even helped to set up the watersports center at Gull Island Pond down the Falklands in 1987 - Still going

First time out on a 32 yatch from Kiel we nearly sunk - that was with an experienced skipper who was RYA'd up the yinyang - a storm blew up (again) when crossing the Baltic to Denmark - Cabin filling up and the bilge pump broke - we made Sondesborg with about an hour to spare

Also using British Soldier as a Fender when our engine died coming back into Kiel 😞

5 minutes ago, henry d said:

RYA.

But also some marinas do their own courses which might be handy. Also look at fuel issues now that we have E whatever petrol. You might also want to stand in the shower and rip up £20 notes to ease you into costs too. 😆

😂😂😂😂😂😂 I've already thought this " two happiest days is when you buy a boat & sell a boat " even pondering the idea & mentioning it to the Mrs I've been met with " can you imagine how much a boat is going to cost to up keep " the odds are already stacking up against me 😂 would just like to learn more about it all really at first before dipping my toes into ownership (excuse the pun) & learn some basic sea craft 

2 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Is there any small boat owners that would be able to point me in the right direction of books / possible courses to learn about small boat ownership , learning about states of tide , wind direction , wind over tide ,navigation, Anchor work , setting up drifts & to learn a basic general knowledge at sea & of general small boats. 

Thanks in advance 

start off with Swallows & Amazons and work up from there........

( you may tell me off now )...:lol:

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Old saying:

If it flys, floats or *****, rent it.

😂😂 both of similar minds then my brother has been sending me knackered old boats as " projects " said the money I will spend on that I could go on charter boats the rest of my able fishing life & have none of the stress hassle or worry . Walk on fish enjoy walk off experience 

https://suffolkmarinesafety.com/product/ocean-signal-rescueme-plb1-personal-locator-beacon/?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Suffolk Marine Product Feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=7898&gclid=Cj0KCQjw94WZBhDtARIsAKxWG-8iyNeiP3MqOmJDDIwAuZco_aHt6cktYdJcSgFA4qaHa5VaWcN3sNAaAugREALw_wcB

One of these is a good investment. You can get boat mounted ones as well although that is only good if its still afloat. One payment, no monthly fees. You register it with the government agency. No need of a phone signal it picks up satellite. Can be used on land or water. 

Sat on the Yealm now having sailed from Salcombe. 

My advice would be to join a sail, or motor boat club. You can hitch a ride to learn hands on and there will be reduced price training courses. I would also follow a few YouTube channels you can pick up lots of useful background. 

20220914_163246.jpg

I can recommend the RYA powerboat course. I did the level 2. The amount of stuff you learn that just didn't cross your mind is incredible.

If you prefer books:

RYA Start Powerboating

RYA Navigation Handbook

RYA VHF Handbook

Coastal and Offshore Navigation - Tom Cunliffe

Coastal Navigation - Gerry Smith (older but very informative and has tests and exercises in it)