National Identity ?

Rem260

Listening to a lot of people's comments regarding the Queen. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on what makes you british or any other nationality. Or is it just that you where born in the said country or do you have an attachment to it ? Or do you rue your bad luck at being born in said country.

Edited by Rem260

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, interesting post 🤔, i was born in England and will die in England , I respect the royal family but not a royalist, I have grown up to love our countryside but live in a town, 🙄, but I will ad England as we know it in 2022 does not compare with what it was like growing up the the 1950s 1960s 1970s , such a shame, 

Born here and never regretted it. We have many things to be proud of in which we are world class - music, invention, to name a couple. 

What I do resent is the constant knocking by a vociferous woke / green minority. I suppose every country has their share of village idiots, but we seem to give them a disproportionate voice. 

14 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, interesting post 🤔, i was born in England and will die in England , I respect the royal family but not a royalist, I have grown up to love our countryside but live in a town, 🙄, but I will ad England as we know it in 2022 does not compare with what it was like growing up the the 1950s 1960s 1970s , such a shame, 

I agree that as the years roll by the country is becoming more like a place that you are born and not a nationality. 

Especially amongst our woke in society who are trying to eradicate our history.

Born in Germany, Dad English ,Mum Welsh. Brought up in Wales, served in the British Army.

I consider myself British-Welsh, I am proud of both my country Wales which for a small country often punches above its weight on the world stage(it's a pity about or government but you can't have everything) and also of the British union which despite a lot constantly trying to run it down is a force for good in the world.
I am Extremly proud to have Served as a Sapper for this Union and Proud to have served under Queen Elizabeth, i consider myself a Royalist. Despite the size of the British Army we are respected throughout the world for our fighting skill and professionalism, My Eldest Son is Serving and i am very proud of him.

Born in England - Lived in Germany, Cyprus, Falklands and now Wales

I am British English - Love Wales as a country (I live on the edge of the good stuff in N. Wales) but detest the division that has grown between Wales (Assembly/Plaid) and England (18 years ago it wasn't a thing)

I served as a Signaller for 4 years (Germany and Falklands) and then rejoined the RAF as a Tech for another 9 years (inc. a tour of Cyprus) and consider the Queen as "The Boss" and proud to have served her twice.

However I do feel that "Being British" is being eroded and it is accelerating 

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Born here and never regretted it. We have many things to be proud of in which we are world class - music, invention, to name a couple. 

What I do resent is the constant knocking by a vociferous woke / green minority. I suppose every country has their share of village idiots, but we seem to give them a disproportionate voice. 

They have that across the Western World, Gordon.

I am Yorkshire English British. I travel and holiday in the Uk. Wherever I stay in the UK we all seem to share the same customs, lifestyles, goals, aspiration and expectations. Britain is basically one country. I believe our four nations are stronger together but we should accept we have differences. 

Edited by yates

British ,born in Derbyshire of English parents , worked all over England, Wales and Scotland , 

the country I most enjoy visiting is Scotland and I was very close to buying a croft up there on the side of the Loch of Mey ,

for me Britain is the best country in the world . 

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Born in Britain and will die here. Love Britain our countryside and heritage. Been for a few holidays abroard, but prefer here. 

Like the Royals who live here for the moxt part and think they do a lot of good for our history heritage and the future.

+1

Working for an international company I'm aware that we Brits have a sense of belonging to the country in a way few other nationalities have and when one travels around the world for work, dropping out of the clouds to land at say, LHR, it always makes me smile because the United Kingdom is a pretty decent place to live.  Sure, there issues like politicians exercising economies of the truth and failing to deliver on the issues that really matter but there again most countries are like that or a whole lot worse.  We are downright fortunate to live here. 

2 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

+1

Working for an international company I'm aware that we Brits have a sense of belonging to the country in a way few other nationalities have and when one travels around the world for work, dropping out of the clouds to land at say, LHR, it always makes me smile because the United Kingdom is a pretty decent place to live.  Sure, there issues like politicians exercising economies of the truth and failing to deliver on the issues that really matter but there again most countries are like that or a whole lot worse.  We are downright fortunate to live here. 

I agree with your last comment. We do have it far better than most. That’s why so many want to come here.

8 hours ago, Rem260 said:

Listening to a lot of people's comments regarding the Queen. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on what makes you british or any other nationality. Or is it just that you where born in the said country or do you have an attachment to it ? Or do you rue your bad luck at being born in said country.

Driving on the proper side of the road is what makes us British. That and not wanting to stick a flagpole outside our private dwelling and fly the national flag from it 24/7/365. And a certain "sang froid" or gallow's humour. An understating of the grimness of a situation to those who asked of it later. Those who knew it know it. Those that didn't don't fully need to.

Like the old boy....a lieutenant in a famous and distinguished regiment...who was evacuated from Dunkirk in 1940 just managing to escape, literally with his life, in a small motor launch.

Upon being interviewed in 1990 for the fiftieth anniversary he recounted how he and the nine others with him had been the last out. And on being asked how it was, that it must have been terrible, replied, "Indeed it was. Absolutely awful. Those other nine with me in that motor launch...we'd not been formally introduced beforehand so I didn't know any of them...."

Edited by enfieldspares

5 hours ago, oowee said:

I have traveled most places but Briatain is simply the best. The history, culture, food, countryside, the detail of being here is unmatched. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of Europe. 

I'd add to that, the people and our sense of humour (well, some us).

For me I'm English born, Father's side from the Scottish borders, mother Welsh/Irish heritage, I like to think my family have existed here for a long time.

I feel no need for allegiance to any god or leader, elected or otherwise, I feel I belong to the land.

Just now, Wymondley said:

I'd add to that, the people and our sense of humour (well, some us).

For me I'm English born, Father's side from the Scottish borders, mother Welsh/Irish heritage, I like to think my family have existed here for a long time.

I feel no need for allegiance to any god or leader, elected or otherwise, I feel I belong to the land.

Well said. I have my family history back to the 1500's when we were tenant farmers to the mayor of London on land close to Stratford on Avon. No relevance to today other than belonging. 

Previously, British first, English second. Now a New Zealander of 10 years and the waters have muddied. My father, who also left the United Kingdom many years ago told me once that you're neither here nor there, you're a fish out of water in both places. I think that is somewhat true. With British people, I feel more like a New Zealander. With New Zealanders, I feel more British. 

With my cold, analytical head on, flags and allegiances seem a bit ridiculous. I'm sure the world would be a better place if we moved away from base tribalism, but you feel what you feel and this can be an emotional topic for many people.

For me it's the values we hold. Sure we don't always get it right but as a country we can be proud of our history and the fact the UK started many of the worlds polices that make it civilised. Its no wonder half the world is trying to come here. 

Although I do worry about the future, as we seem to be loosing it these last few years.