Feeding House Spiders

lord_seagrave

When I used to fish I'd drop the occasional maggot into the webs in the garage whilst I sorted out my kit for the next day.  I found it quite fascinating to watch the spiders dash out do their job with clinical precision!

If you don't fancy leaving some meat to rot and get fly blown, maybe see if you can scavenge a few caterpillars from the undersides of leaves?

Do not have any problem in this old house. We have cluster flies come into the roof every winter and have plenty of spiders and a lot of the daddy long types which I understand are not acrually spiders.   Like a horror film when you go up the stairs to the attics with webs crisscrossing from one side to the other.

Edited by Walker570

I like the thought of looking after your spider's, I lived in a large victorian house with a cellar, anyhow some huge spiders would come up into the living room, never bothering you, brought my daughter up with the saying, spiders are good flies are bad, It still stands.

11 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

If you don't fancy leaving some meat to rot and get fly blown, maybe see if you can scavenge a few caterpillars from the undersides of leaves?

It doesn’t take much, I'm still getting flies on the mouse traps I the garage,  if I don't check the traps for a couple of days there wriggling, despite it being November. 

2 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Spiders are an abomination of nature and don't deserve to live.

🤣🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Now, there's a business opportunity for you Rodney, sorry, I mean Simon.

Next year you could be rich!

You could even get fat Sarah involved (to pinch that old African lady and the watermelon joke)

Edited by amateur

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

Cant believe it.  

But its given me an idea how to use any old socks, fill with meat scraps and hang out in the summer and collect the maggots, then once the casters turn box up the flies and sell on PW 

This thread warms my heart. Nice to see some spider love! got four noble false widows (Steatoda.nobilis) in the conservatory - Hamlet, Gertrude, Ophelia and Laertes - and they seem to keep themselves well fed. Supplementary feeding for the nobles is usually by way of woodlice. Plentiful and easy to catch.

We have a couple of cupboard false widows (S.grossa) in the shed; they feed on woodlice mainly. There's also a giant house spider in there and I wouldn't fancy her chances if one of the falsies had a chance at her!

53 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

After seeing my neighbours leg after a false black widow bite, they wouldn't be entertained at all in my house, especially with grandkids. House and harvest on the other hand get scooped up and relocated to the garden.

Any idea which species of false widow this was? The chances are that if your neighbour has them, you do too! They're actually incredibly docile, placid spiders. most of the time they're happy just to go about their business and can be handled (carefully) pretty well.

I have a spider that lives in my driver's door mirror. Don't know which brand I'm afraid, but the other day whilst driving, I noticed that it was blowing in the wind, on a single strand of web and couldn't get back to the mirror................so I pulled over. The spid, shot up the web and back into it's home.   How sad am I????????

I love this, a bunch of cold hearted hunters who go around the countryside blasting defenseless animals, who also feed spiders and pull their cars over so itsy can safely get back into its wing mirror home 🤣

Seriously though, it confirms what I already know, most shooters enjoy nature in all its forms and above all else, genuinely care about it and want to preserve it for the future. I'd love to see an anti read this thread and maybe change some of their preconceptions.