Cold snap and heating cost

ph5172

I made the fatal error of checking our gas and electric consumption since the start of the ‘cold snap’

i think I’m going to treat everyone in the house to a new fleece jacket!

Yesterday our gas usage was 78kw and our electric 15kw 

we don’t live in a mansion by any means and we have a few younger children but I can’t see how that would be sustainable for a Protracted spell or for those on low income 

what’s everyone else running at currently 

£10 a day at the moment but I think it will be around £14 as it gets colder, I have looked back at the gas consumption over the last two year's and I've used about a third of the last two years but 3 time's the cost. I was paying £95 a month for both gas and electricity but expected to hit £300.

Not ever found our smart meter after I finished our place and we moved in. 
It use to be a bit worrying seeing £32 per day in the midst of winter when our heat pump was first commissioned and running a few oil type rads too. 

Few tweaks over the year and were paying £278 per month for elec ( no gas or oil).  I know the poor heatpump is not enjoying these temps, it’s having to de-ice itself a lot. 

Hello, it's difficult to estimate mine as I only use as required and EDF are a nightmare to contact, at this stage in the winter I heat up around 6 pm maybe 5 pm at weekends, I am sure my OAP energy allowance will cover the winter, it must be difficult for younger families but children need warmth to come home to from school/ college, even the latter are having to economise , I'm not going into a debate on benefits but there is help for those who qualify and those bringing up a family I would certainly make sure you can claim, the next generation need looking after to,

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's difficult to estimate mine as I only use as required and EDF are a nightmare to contact, at this stage in the winter I heat up around 6 pm maybe 5 pm at weekends, I am sure my OAP energy allowance will cover the winter, it must be difficult for younger families but children need warmth to come home to from school/ college, even the latter are having to economise , I'm not going into a debate on benefits but there is help for those who qualify and those bringing up a family I would certainly make sure you can claim, the next generation need looking after to,

Do you have a ‘smart’ meter? 

It annoys me that the only heating i have is from a multi fuel log burner, i use Coal over night and then wood during the day. We have a Gas fire but never use it and a gas hob which is used no more than summer time. Yet the fuel bills continue to rise, cant help feeling im being taken for a right royal ride by the fuel supplier. 

Electric use is not more than any other time of the year and still averages the same usage as it was 5 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

It annoys me that the only heating i have is from a multi fuel log burner, i use Coal over night and then wood during the day. We have a Gas fire but never use it and a gas hob which is used no more than summer time. Yet the fuel bills continue to rise, cant help feeling im being taken for a right royal ride by the fuel supplier. 

Electric use is not more than any other time of the year and still averages the same usage as it was 5 years ago. 

The cost of gas and elec is going up so you're in no different a position to any of us. 

Pretty simple math, if it cost 10p more a unit now then your bill will be more. Again like the rest of us. It's not on how much you use, it's in how much they charge per unit. 

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

The cost of gas and elec is going up so you're in no different a position to any of us. 

Pretty simple math, if it cost 10p more a unit now then your bill will be more. Again like the rest of us. It's not on how much you use, it's in how much they charge per unit. 

Am I being naive then, I thought everyone was now paying the same price, as in the price cap? 

8 minutes ago, alastair0903 said:

Am I being naive then, I thought everyone was now paying the same price, as in the price cap? 

Yeah price per unit has gone up for everyone. So even if you use the same as last year or 5 years ago it will cost more because the price per unit and daily charge is higher..  maybe I should have said has not is... Everyone is in the same position at the end of the day, as the price has gone up for ALL.

Our smart meters never worked since it was installed even though the fitter phoned in to tell them , we only turned the heating on at the start of the cold snap and only as we babysit the grandson . I just put the heating on for a hour to heat the house overnight as they are talking about minus 12 /15 tonight  

Try being in a caravan! I got there last week and it was frozen outside and 2°C inside,  I've got a small oil filled radiator running 24/7 and it'll stay on throughout the winter.

Gas heater goes on when I get in to take the chill off for maybe 20 mins or so, I don't like to tun it too long, then I've just been keeping a fleece and hat on, with the heating going on if needed.

It's not ideal, but it's not usually this cold for long, but it won't have been over 10°C in the caravan Wednesday,  Thursday or Friday, dropping over night to 2 or 3 again,  which means you get dressed very quickly.

When I get home it's like summer,  the extension always feels warm compared with the rest of the house so the insulation works.

I haven't a clue what we're paying per day, heating goes on on the timer in the mornings , again in the afternoon then on and off throughout the evening as we notice its cooled down.

It does make you wonder how people went on years ago with no heating?

18 hours ago, Boybrit said:

People earn £100 per day minimum these days so a mid winter cost of £15 of that seems fair to me, free lunches went out of fashion a long time ago. Amazing winter tyres never are an issue then the expensive SUV ends up in a ditch and its all moan moan then.

Around here people are lucky if they are paid £10 an hour before deductions for doing skilled/semi skilled work and is worse for people below the age of full minimum wage.

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

Try being in a caravan! I got there last week and it was frozen outside and 2°C inside,  I've got a small oil filled radiator running 24/7 and it'll stay on throughout the winter.

Gas heater goes on when I get in to take the chill off for maybe 20 mins or so, I don't like to tun it too long, then I've just been keeping a fleece and hat on, with the heating going on if needed.

It's not ideal, but it's not usually this cold for long, but it won't have been over 10°C in the caravan Wednesday,  Thursday or Friday, dropping over night to 2 or 3 again,  which means you get dressed very quickly.

When I get home it's like summer,  the extension always feels warm compared with the rest of the house so the insulation works.

I haven't a clue what we're paying per day, heating goes on on the timer in the mornings , again in the afternoon then on and off throughout the evening as we notice its cooled down.

It does make you wonder how people went on years ago with no heating?

Just wore more and warmer clothing  !  😄