Name change CTSA from CPSA

sishyplops

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proposal was made some years ago and voted against.

If it has been mooted again, it would appear their attempts to distance themselves from live quarry shooters are being refreshed.
Perhaps they fear being tarnished with the same brush? 

I don’t know what percentage of CPSA members also shoot live quarry, but it would be interesting to know, and to know what they think of the proposal. 

Always makes me laugh when I have to explain to regular people that the clay pigeons are infact clay disc targets and not live animals.

Happens surprisingly a lot which is probably why the proposal for the name change. Also perhaps an attempt to align themselves with their Welsh and Scottish counterparts (Welsh Clay Target Shooting Association and Scottish Clay Target Association).

Finally read the email. It is (partly) to align themselves with the other uk associations. Also seems like they'd prefer not to be associated with the game side of things. Not good.

Edited by Poor Shot
Read the Newsletter.

How come I can eat rockfish but I can't eat clay pigeons? Back in the day when live pigeon shooting was banned they used, instead, glass balls filled with feathers. Thus the famous at the time Bogardus Ball Trap. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Bogardus

https://traphof.org/artifacts/history-of-glass-target-balls

But the came clay targets. As they were cheaper and didn't litter the ground with glass unlike Bogardus's balls. And why would they be called clay pigeons rather than clay balls? I don't know. But for sure yet back in the day Bogardus's invention weren't called glass pigeons so there was no "wokery" then just they were called what they were called. I see calling them clay targets closer in spirit to Bogardus's choosing to call his live pigeon substitute "balls" rather than (glass) "pigeons" in fact.

Anyway I wrote this on my invitation to comment:

When famous Army regiments merge they often keep part of each to create their new name and to become their new cap badge. Why cannot the CPSA become the Clay Pigeon Target Association and drop the "Shooting" moniker altogether? For the use of the very word "target" implies anyway that something is being shot at!

Edited by enfieldspares

This whole thing comes around every couple of years, has no regard for tradition and will eventually get passed!

Not something to lose any sleep over though.

Nobody has posted a link yet, so here you go;

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/general/2023/01/16/new-year-new-name/5878

Personally I would hope that they change the name to something sensible like the

Environmentally

Friendly

Disc

Target

Shooting

Association

All said with tongue firmly in cheek!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

9 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Always makes me laugh when I have to explain to regular people that the clay pigeons are infact clay disc targets and not live animals.

Happens surprisingly a lot which is probably why the proposal for the name change. Also perhaps an attempt to align themselves with their Welsh and Scottish counterparts (Welsh Clay Target Shooting Association and Scottish Clay Target Association).

Finally read the email. It is (partly) to align themselves with the other uk associations. Also seems like they'd prefer not to be associated with the game side of things. Not good.

Maybe, some peeps believe me when I say that I miss some on purpose to help them breed.                                                                                                  Or that, those skeet take a hell of a lot of cooking to make them tender.

Does it really matter, get out and enjoy your shooting while you can. 

Personally older i get the more attractive clays are. 

No need to turn out on cold, wet days for game shoots, much cheaper than syndicates, no pheasants to prepare when you dont really like them to eat, cafe on hand for after a couple of rounds. 

Am of to get a px value for my game gun today and chop it in for a decent sporter.

Edited by grahamch

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You do realise that the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association are planning to change to the Clay Target Shooting Association, don't you?

Yes. I was merely offering a rationale as to why a name change is unnecessary. That is, the ‘clay’ prefix tells anyone it’s not live pigeon shooting anyway. Bit of a giveaway isn’t it?! Why don’t they call it the ‘Pigeon Hugging Clay Target Against Bird Murdering Club’? OK…..needs a bit of work….but it delivers…..😁

1 hour ago, vmaxphil said:

Cpsa member, if the name is genuinely losing sponsorship then I've no problem with a change, the clays won't know any difference as will my shooting 👍

Bet there’s no evidence that a company would have sponsored the CPSA if the name was different. Would suggest that it’s someone’s excuse for lack of sponsorship, need to get better marketing and management team, not waste member’s money on changing the name. 

On 17/01/2023 at 06:12, TIGHTCHOKE said:

This whole thing comes around every couple of years, has no regard for tradition and will eventually get passed!

Not something to lose any sleep over though.

Nobody has posted a link yet, so here you go;

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/general/2023/01/16/new-year-new-name/5878

Personally I would hope that they change the name to something sensible like the

Environmentally

Friendly

Disc

Target

Shooting

Association

All said with tongue firmly in cheek!

Portable
Rotating
In-air
Clay
Killing
Society?

Disk
In-air
Clay bashing
Kindly
Society?

Again, tongue in cheek for humour only. I like the CPSA. :)