Cartridges prices

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

I know Sportsman Gun Centre put the prices up of their own brand (rebranded Eley) carts up on Jan 1st. I hate reading old articles quoting £180 per thou for carts that are now £260 per thou, wonder what they will go up too

I only started shooting clays in 2007 and we used to buy the cheapest available - usually those dirty old D&J carts… £90 per thousand. Surely a better investment than property 😂

Just cartridges are never the cheapest on the market they may have promo free delivery deals but it doesent workout any cheaper in the long run there biggest factor is the availability in different brands & cartridge selection. I believe & I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong is the raw materials of making the cartridges as you say or indeed the price it costs to ship either raw materials in or the price of shipping in container loads of ready made cartridges. I remember reading that victory cartridges are getting thin on the ground now as I believe they won't ship to the UK?

Winchester seemed to stop shipping years ago other then the odd 3 - 3 1/2 inch steel loads for wildfowling 

I noticed you can get the new hull superfast pigeon load a 32gram 5.5 size shot fibre wad load for £75 a slab 250 but some other dealers still want / sell the older 29gram 6 fibre loads for £80 - £90 & have quoted the price increase so stock up while you can! 

9 hours ago, grahamch said:

Its getting to the point where folk cant afford to shoot much. Bywell was noticably quieter than normal last weekend.

No one seems interested in trying to sort the mess out or seriously try to put Putin in his place. 

Putin could pack up and go home. Prices won't come down again. 

16 hours ago, grahamch said:

Its getting to the point where folk cant afford to shoot much. Bywell was noticably quieter than normal last weekend.

No one seems interested in trying to sort the mess out or seriously try to put Putin in his place. 

Instead of wishing for other people to send their sons to fight and die, you are very welcome to fly over to Ukraine and fight the Russians yourself if you feel so strongly about teaching Putin a lesson. 

10 hours ago, Robden said:

Putin could pack up and go home. Prices won't come down again. 

This.

Once prices have increased, they'll remain there. Just look at oil, fuel never decreases by the same ratio as it increases in relation to barrel price.

Cartridge prices might see a very minor drop if there were reductions elsewhere, but theses higher prices are here to stay. 

21 hours ago, grahamch said:

And IF they did, do you seriously believe cartridge prices will come down again  ?

21 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Is it just cartridge prices, or is the cost of cartridge reloading materials going up by the same amount?

Just wondering if reloading will become worthwhile again?

No, what happened years ago after the explosion at the Eley factory and cartridges were scarce, people began home loading on a large scale. It did not take long for the cost of the loading components to escalate in price.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

And IF they did, do you seriously believe cartridge prices will come down again  ?

No, what happened years ago after the explosion at the Eley factory and cartridges were scarce, people began home loading on a large scale. It did not take long for the cost of the loading components to escalate in price.

I would suggest components are already expensive.

Currently for components, Inc share of bulk postage but excluding labour

New 70mm Primed Case 8p

Powder 10p

4mm Over Powder Card 1.5p

18mm Diana Wad 2.8p

32g Lead Shot 16.6p

Overshot Card 1.1p

Total 40p per cartridge or £10 a box or £400\thousand.

Home loading, general rounds or lighter clay rounds isn't any cheaper than can be bought but once you go up to non standard rounds, small bore rounds or 36g or above in 12b, it starts to be worthwhile.

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

I would suggest components are already expensive.

Currently for components, Inc share of bulk postage but excluding labour

New 70mm Primed Case 8p

Powder 10p

4mm Over Powder Card 1.5p

18mm Diana Wad 2.8p

32g Lead Shot 16.6p

Overshot Card 1.1p

Total 40p per cartridge or £10 a box or £400\thousand.

Home loading, general rounds or lighter clay rounds isn't any cheaper than can be bought but once you go up to non standard rounds, small bore rounds or 36g or above in 12b, it starts to be worthwhile.

Supply.......Demand.........Price     !

At the time I was reloading, we were still shooting 32 gram on clays. Mind you there was a steady supply of Winchester AA cases for reloading.

On 08/02/2023 at 07:17, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes I had the same Email form Just cartridges.  

Very glad I stocked up a while ago at £190 a thousand.   

Hello, I've still have some cheap Kent's when they were around £100 a 1000, even some of the Agriculture farm shops cartridges are cheaper than JC 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper