Small 4x4

Rat Boy

I shoot on a large local farm, it includes some very muddy drivable tracks, I drive a freelander 2 which comes home covered in **** every time I go out. Looking to get something like a Jimny to do the mucky stuff How good are they and what would I need to spend to to get a decent one. If not a Jimny what other small 4x4 are there.

6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

I had an old style 3 door RAV4, lots of fun driving on the beach, but a bloody death trap on the road. Spun it twice and I'm no boy racer. It didn't survive the second time, luckily I did!

Had an 05 Rav4; brilliant small SUV 4x4.

Jimny’s are great little 4x4’s…..but expensive for what they are, hold their money surprisingly well! The older ones are very prone to rust so need careful inspection. 
Not cheap running a second vehicle purely for a bit of shooting, but agree it can be annoying getting your ‘nicer’ vehicle plastered in mud! 
I’ve got an L200 double cab as well as a van for work that I combine as the family car when we all go out on weekends but also doubles up as my shooting vehicle….great compromise! 

7 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Very true LB, i have 2 Vitaras and never had any problems on muddy, snow tracks etc. also a diff lock button on them.

But still will not get to where the little jimny gets - and causes no damage

Im a disco man - BFG s - high lift kit etc etc and the little jimnys just leave me 

29 minutes ago, Rat Boy said:

I have a pressure washer the problem is the Freelander then drops it's 4 bucket fulls of mud on the drive. SWMBO not impressed.

Many years ago, before I had a pressure washer, I got banned from local garage jet washers.

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Im a disco man - BFG s - high lift kit etc etc and the little jimnys just leave me 

Of course they do...............until you ask them to take the same trailer full of wheat that you can take on the feed round, then the men are separated from the boys.

Edited by London Best

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Many years ago, before I had a pressure washer, I got banned from local garage jet washers.

Of course they do...............until you ask them to take the same trailer full of wheat that you can take on the feed round, then the men are separated from the boys.

Yes that right 

I tell the lads on the shoot - disco - mans truck hahahahah

In fairness the best truck on our shoot is an old series 2 or 3 landrover - on its skinny little tyres 

It pulls anything - goes anywhere - has a neat little winch on it for helping everyone else out too !

11 hours ago, jall25 said:

Yes that right 

I tell the lads on the shoot - disco - mans truck hahahahah

In fairness the best truck on our shoot is an old series 2 or 3 landrover - on its skinny little tyres 

It pulls anything - goes anywhere - has a neat little winch on it for helping everyone else out too !

The best LR for going anywhere is the original series one 80 inch. I’ve had four of them. Nothing else compares, LR wise. Funnily enough, a Jimmy is the same wheelbase and weight. Of course, the WW2 Willys can’t be beat either.

Had a Jim for 16 years from new. 2 pages of rust MOT failiure killed it off. Just check them out. I have seen ancient ones with no rust and some a few years old hanging. 

Will go anywhere. I would prefer mine to our LR 90 in the snow. Older Vitaras have proper 4wd and low ratio like the Jimny, newer ones are fancy electric things. Nothing else small has a proper low box. Of course the ultimate small, proper 4wd is a Lada Niva. But try finding them at a sensible price. Easier to get a cheap 90.

• 2 weeks later...

If you drive to somewhere in your freelander and have something parked off-road then the world is your oyster

theres tons of “farm 4x4s” that don’t need MoT (or on a agri) start to get into the jap crew cabs L200s and the like as well as Discovery/ Range Rover diesel classic that are too rusty for the road but fine for a farm

obviously depending on your circumstances 

D

I think we are splitting hairs because they are all slightly different. This morning my wife said..DO NOT go down the wood in the car(Duster) it is as wet as I have seen it in 30yrs.     I had just had the hedges cut as well and the two big tractors had cut the walkways up.  My little birds needed feeding so down I went.  Click 4wd Lock and got right to the far end and thought I will go back along the outside ride. Turned to do so and the car started to spin the tyres. I backed up and managed to get on some slightly harder ground and the Duster got me back home. Yes, it was touch and go for a while but the car gave me the confidence it would get itself out. This is on basic road tyre although they do have 4x4 on the side they have no gripping tread as such.   New set of tyres will be next purchase. Yes the MPG will probably siffer but 45 insyerd of 49-50mpg is still acceptable.  BUT  horses for courses, my Duster will not pull the two hefty trailers I have but I have a tractor which will do that from the wood.

IF   I needed a big heavy load lugging 4x4 I would go out and buy another LR90.