Petrol additive

yates

I've got an issue with the motor my petrol lawnmower.  It's been damaged by using E10. The mower works but constantly splutters. Previously the local garden centre would steam clean the carburettor and problem solved for £10.00. Unfortunately they are no longer trading and I cannot find anyone local who can do this. Had a quote from a firm a few miles away but basically they say it's not worth it as starting cost begins at £80.00 just to look at plus whatever costs to complete the repair. Is there an addititive that I could add to the fuel that could remove the build up of debris in the carburettor?

Morning.

Watch the below on YouTube or similar ones for an idea how to remove the ethanol. I destroyed a strimmer on it after 10 years of flawless service, within a few months it was knocking and farting about. then added the below additives' to get the octane back and stabilse the fuel for storage. I use up 20l of fuel fairly quick, but giving it a chance for any length of storage. Start with premium unleaded 1st, less to remove. 

I can say that after the 2nd tan through the equipment (4 & 2 stroke) sounds better, runs better seems to have more grunt low down e.g. strimmer doesnt bog down in longer grass like it did before. 

2 x Lucas Octane Booster Petrol Fuel Additive Increase Octane Lowers Emissions 49807409302 | eBay

STA-BIL Stabil Fuel Stabilizer Storage Petrol Treatment Additive 473ml 16 oz | eBay

For the extra cost always use premium petrol , you can buy petrol additives. For 2 stroke Stihl do a one shot it's green in colour instead of red. Far less hassle if you stick to premium fuel and you don't have to pay for constant repairs. 

20230712_084441_copy_1734x2312.jpg

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

You could remove the carb and float bowl then soak/spray carb cleaner over it, simple job.

and do the gauze filter as well and inline filter....also ***** out the jets......get yourself nozzle wire cleaners from your welding shop or amazon

1 hour ago, samboy said:

I bought a battery lawn mower. Best thing i ever done. No faffing about with petrol or cables.

My lawn is about 80ft x 22ft and the mower handles it well.

seem to remember many (decades) ago one of my mates dad had and electric drum mower (think 18" cut)  and on the main chassis of it ...had a big 12v car batterery....he just used to trickle charge it for a day or so after use ...check the electrolite.........

he had it for bloody years...........same battery and all

I cover a dozen gardens weekly, it would be an expensive exercise in batteries alone for what ever make of mower/strimmer. Not sure how it would handle thick wet grass at the open or closing end of the growing season. The 22" Active mower I have takes care of everything, bloody heavy though!!

I don't ind removing the ethanol and having it run cooler, quieter with more torque/power, which it seems to do since treating the fuel as above. 

I only use super unleaded in my mower or car . My car went from 16-18 mpg to 23-26 mpg . 
take the bowl off your carb and blow through the jet in the bottom . That’ll fix what ever is clogged . It’ll just be a spot of rust or mud . If your ever Tamworth way it’ll take me seconds 

Super can have upto 5% bio.

For my mowers, strimer, chain saws and outboard I try to use super unleaded but you cannot be sure that it is ethanol free. I use a fuel additive to give it extra life and so far so good with one of the chain saws having been left for nearly a year. 

Thank you for all your replies gentlemen. All greatly appreciated. I've added Ethanol fuel cleaner to the mix, will buy only superunleaded in future. My lack of knowledge when purchasing the mower four years ago about E10is the cause of the problem. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. Team Tractor I'll give you a call if I'm ever near Tamworth 😆

The other thing about Ethanol is that it attracts (or as we say in the video) is attracted to moisture - and that this can have a negative impact within your car causing rust etc to form where it lands.

My wife informed me that her fuel economy in her banger had gone of a cliff since E10 started (or to her - she was just using unleaded as usual - didn't have a clue about E5/10 changes 😁) and I told her to start using super - more expensive but it actually works out cheaper with the improved economy.

When my lad got his 07 MX5 he was at least aware and asked me - Super all the way - and he goes to Costco to fill it up. Now if only I could get my wife to go to Costco as well as she is near it at least twice a week...

17 hours ago, oowee said:

For my mowers, strimer, chain saws and outboard I try to use super unleaded but you cannot be sure that it is ethanol free. I use a fuel additive to give it extra life and so far so good with one of the chain saws having been left for nearly a year. 

Recently I've started to use super unleaded (or equivalent, E5) and Briggs & Stratton fuel stabiliser. Which has worked fine, though they've only been left for a month or two, not super long. However, I notice my 2 stroke chainsaw, strimmer & hedgecutter are harder to start. (Lawnmower and wheeled strimmer, pure petrol, seem fine). I wonder if this is because my small engines aren't designed to cope with the high octane petrol? I used to run them on standard unleaded and 2 stroke oil, and drain them down for storage. Or maybe the fuel stabiliser is affecting the 2 stroke oil: petrol ratio? But it could only be a tiny amount, I think it's 50ml stabiliser in 5 litres of petrol...

2 hours ago, derbyduck said:

well after reading this post it seems I've ******** up my  honda generator ! would it be an easy fix or will I need a new carburetor ? 

I would try draining the old fuel, change any filters, check the spark plug then try running some E5 and additive through it. Trouble is the higher Ethanol content has the potential to degrade rubber and other components in older fuel systems.

https://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/blog/features/ethanol-blended-petrol-and-classic-cars/

1 hour ago, Miserableolgit said:

I would try draining the old fuel, change any filters, check the spark plug then try running some E5 and additive through it. Trouble is the higher Ethanol content has the potential to degrade rubber and other components in older fuel systems.

https://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/blog/features/ethanol-blended-petrol-and-classic-cars/

Thanks for the reply, I may have to enlist my grandson he's a bit handy with the tinkering side of things .