Pike Attack

yates

Our local reservoir has been closed to wild swimming after a pike bit the leg of one of the swimmer's. Apparently the 'monster' pike had been feasting on the local wildfowl population before deciding to take a bite of human flesh. Can't wait to see the influx of people wanting to catch the 'killer' fish. 

We're gonna need a bigger boat springs to mind 

Edited by yates

They do attack on aggression but rare to take water foul, i would assume that it attacked a toe or other bodily extremity's. As a kid there was always the story in the village of the local pond having a swan eating monster, seems the story wasnt just in my village. 

They might dredge the pond now and kill all the fish just to appease the H&S plonkers

26 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it does happen , although not bitten my son's then wife was sat by the river Avon paddling her feet when a  pike came up to bite her toes but quickly took her feet out, they thought it may have noticed the pink coloured toe nails ? , That must be a very big pike to take a big duck 

Hello, although not seen but I've read of pike taking smaller pike and ducklings

39 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, although not seen but I've read of pike taking smaller pike and ducklings

13 minutes ago, snow white said:

I have seen pike take ducks so please don’t say it doesn’t happen because I have seen it a lot of coarse anglers see it happen but don’t take any notice because it happens 

Yes It certainly does happen and the larger female pike will happily take the smaller "Jacks"

We used to fish a deep balancing pond using sticks and line as the roach would take corn off the surface. 
a fair few time a pike would stir the bottom and go for the silver fish. 

funny how quickly young lads can get their feet out the water.

I only ever saw a pike face to face once as pulled my toes before I lost them. Lol

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes It certainly does happen and the larger female pike will happily take the smaller "Jacks"

Definitely this ☝️👍 I've seen ducklings taken at the surface, and was once just about to net a small (1 1/2 lb) jack when a huge head appeared behind it (estimate mid 20's+) but turned away causing a huge vortex 😳

Have also caught the odd mid single figure Esox with obvious bite marks from a larger one.

Also, for reference,,,, pikes teeth are extremely sharp and cause razor-like cuts ,,,, don't ask 😆

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I saw a pike take a duckling on the Broads once, we were all watching the duck with her 4 offspring and then was a lot of splashing and then there were 3 duckings. We were on a boat and were about 2 meters away!

44 minutes ago, smokingdragon said:

I saw a pike take a duckling on the Broads once, we were all watching the duck with her 4 offspring and then was a lot of splashing and then there were 3 duckings. We were on a boat and were about 2 meters away!

We had a fairly big lake where I worked that was just over two miles long and once had a commercial duck decoy on the place , I knew the decoy keeper well and he once told me he was watching a Greylag goose going across the lake with it's family of half grown goslings when there was a comotion and a large Pike had took one under the water and was never seen again , Pike size , the fishing club would often catch them between 20 and 30 lb , when we had our shoot meal at the hotel I am pretty sure they had a cased one above the fire place that went around 30lb , one of the biggest Pike caught on the Broads was on Hickling Broad that went over 42 lb and at Thurne in 2009 one was caught that went over 45 lb , big enough to take a full size Mallard .

45 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We had a fairly big lake where I worked that was just over two miles long and once had a commercial duck decoy on the place , I knew the decoy keeper well and he once told me he was watching a Greylag goose going across the lake with it's family of half grown goslings when there was a comotion and a large Pike had took one under the water and was never seen again , Pike size , the fishing club would often catch them between 20 and 30 lb , when we had our shoot meal at the hotel I am pretty sure they had a cased one above the fire place that went around 30lb , one of the biggest Pike caught on the Broads was on Hickling Broad that went over 42 lb and at Thurne in 2009 one was caught that went over 45 lb , big enough to take a full size Mallard .

was that fritton decoy boi ?

20 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

As a teenager in the 60s "jacks" were the favoured bait for large pike when fishing the gravel pits.

3 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

My Dad has caught 3 pike over 30lb. Always maintained the best bait for a big pike was a smaller one.

I lost one of my biggest out of Loch Allen using a Jack about 1lb. i know its always the one that got away but ive had some decent pike over 20 but this one never gave me a chance and ripped line off the reel at a stupid rate. I jumped out of the water around 50-75 yards out and that was it lost.  

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

The pond we grew up by lost a lot of ducklings most years to the pike.

Closing a reservoir is just funny, it's not exactly Lake Placid.

Must agree with you there. It's Thrybergh Country Park in Rotherham  its Council owned. They have a history of making strange decisions. Sadly for us it was our local trout water until three years ago until they closed it to focus on more community engaging activities. As a club we used to pike net the water in the winter and we used to catch some huge specimen pike

1 hour ago, yates said:

Must agree with you there. It's Thrybergh Country Park in Rotherham  its Council owned. They have a history of making strange decisions. Sadly for us it was our local trout water until three years ago until they closed it to focus on more community engaging activities. As a club we used to pike net the water in the winter and we used to catch some huge specimen pike

My old fella always said you need a number of pike for a healthy water, he never agreed with people killing Jack's just because they'd caught them. And he used to catch some decent pike through the winter.

On 22/07/2023 at 21:08, JKD said:

Have also caught the odd mid single figure Esox with obvious bite marks from a larger one.

Happens a lot around spawning.

15 hours ago, gmm243 said:

My Dad has caught 3 pike over 30lb. Always maintained the best bait for a big pike was a smaller one.

That's no mean feat.