Canal Cyclists

pigeon controller

Just returned from walking the dog along the canal, during which I was shoulder charged by a cyclist on a mountain bike with very wide handle bars. I’m sure that in the 50s/60s we were ousted by the Police for riding the tow path. Being told it was for horses and boat people. I am aware that the Canal and River Trust now allow them to ride at no cost. My question is was it illegal and did they change the statute book ??

Over to the clever people who can search for these things

RANT OVER

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pavement riding cyclists are a pain around our local town. I’d like to say it was just young lads but it’s adults also, all bypassing the one way system by taking to the pavements. Had one or two near misses myself, but someone will come to grief at some point. 

There is a hierrchy of road users, and in that everyone gives pedestrians priority as they are the most vulnerable, the arrogance of some cyclists makes them believe they have absolute priority.

FROM THE HIGHWAY CODE

There is new guidance in the code about routes and spaces which are shared by people walking, cycling and riding horses.

People cycling, riding a horse or driving a horse-drawn vehicle should respect the safety of people walking in these spaces, but people walking should also take care not to obstruct or endanger them.

People cycling are asked to:

• not pass people walking, riding a horse or driving a horse-drawn vehicle closely or at high speed, particularly from behind
  • slow down when necessary and let people walking know they are there (for example, by ringing their bell)
  • remember that people walking may be deaf, blind or partially sighted

Ban the bloody lot of them. This pro cycling lark is a load of kak. There is no room for them. Cycling is a good form of aerobic exercise and should be confined to designated tracks and should be kept well away from paths and roads. Rant not over

2 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Just returned from walking the dog along the canal, during which I was shoulder charged by a cyclist on a mountain bike with very wide handle bars. I’m sure that in the 50s/60s we were ousted by the Police for riding the tow path. Being told it was for horses and boat people. I am aware that the Canal and River Trust now allow them to ride at no cost. My question is was it illegal and did they change the statute book ??

Over to the clever people who can search for these things

RANT OVER

Untouchable now do what they like. 

There only enemy now is the illegal electric scooters. 

Saw one of those with two lads on it yesterday going down a dual carriageway . 

There's that many now seems the norm. 

2 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Just returned from walking the dog along the canal, during which I was shoulder charged by a cyclist on a mountain bike with very wide handle bars

Unfortunately you encountered a 🔔 end, sounds like someone on a down hill bike who thought he owned the pathway. 

I'd say a tow path was a great place to cycle,  the roads are a death trap these days,  just a matter of respecting each other.

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Unfortunately you encountered a 🔔 end, sounds like someone on a down hill bike who thought he owned the pathway. 

Sadly most of them that I meet in our area fall into this category.  One nearly modified the car last week doing about 40 down hill,  in a 20 limit.  ( for those about to say nah there aren't any 20 limits it was central Matlock.)

Edited by Yellow Bear

Thanks for your replies, it just does not seem fair.

As a dog owner he has to be on a lead on the pavement, not loose in the parks, on a lead on country paths by request. Bikes are ridden in all these places. The only place I can let him off is the tow path with joggers and cyclists.it does not seem fair.

5 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Sadly most of them that I meet in our area fall into this category.  One nearly modified the car last week doing about 40 down hill,  in a 20 limit.  ( for those about to say nah there aren't any 20 limits it was central Matlock.)

For those who say there are’nt  any 20 limits obviously don’t live inside the m25 cyclists rule the roost down here and 99% of them are complete ******** on the roads 

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Thanks for your replies, it just does not seem fair.

As a dog owner he has to be on a lead on the pavement, not loose in the parks, on a lead on country paths by request. Bikes are ridden in all these places. The only place I can let him off is the tow path with joggers and cyclists.it does not seem fair.

Fair, as a Narrowboater, tipping in a fortune to use the infrastructure Cyclists need a robust push back.Some fishermen too

Canal tow paths are some of the best routes for the bike even if I have to slow down for fishermen to move ultra long fishing rods (why do they always insist on reaching to the far bank?). I can take the dog at a leisurely pace, stop for coffee etc. Whats not to like. 

ps it would be better if BWB would install some lighting on the longer tunnels. 

Cycling is a fantastic hobby and great for fitness . 
The handle bars are wide now but that’s just standard . Bikes have moved on so much. I regularly ride mine down canal paths but obviously i actually slow down and respect other users . 
I’m honest and admit I ride on the path and the road but that’s for my own safety . In the last month we’ve lost two motorcyclists at junctions etc in our town so I jump on the path at busy junctions . 
I ride with my boys loads instead of them sat on a PlayStation all day . 

83F37AF5-0396-486C-9FED-440B64148C47.jpeg

21E77C8F-AA17-48D0-9DE3-40115B23FB55.jpeg

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

The handle bars are wide now but that’s just standard . Bikes have moved on so much. I regularly ride mine down canal paths but obviously i actually slow down and respect other users . 
I’m honest and admit I ride on the path and the road but that’s for my own safety . In the last month we’ve lost two motorcyclists at junctions etc in our town so I jump on the path at busy junctions . 

Jesus those saddles look painful thank god for CARS!

10 hours ago, team tractor said:

Respect to you, on our canal we have gates on some of the sections and they have been permanently forced open which allows the cyclists to speed up and on some Sunday mornings we groups up to 12 racing along the tow path. The majority of the week day riders are respectful and some actually use a bell which is a legal requirement. 
I totally agree to take your kids out into the fresh air and teach them give and take, well done.

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Respect to you, on our canal we have gates on some of the sections and they have been permanently forced open which allows the cyclists to speed up and on some Sunday mornings we groups up to 12 racing along the tow path. The majority of the week day riders are respectful and some actually use a bell which is a legal requirement. 
I totally agree to take your kids out into the fresh air and teach them give and take, well done.

Unfortunately, there is no legal  requirement for a cyclist to fit a bell, let alone use one. Personally I think there should be. 

I've been a cyclist, angler, runner, walker,,,, but never cycled (or ran) on a canal towpath, on roads only, 'cos I went everywhere fast (cycling, that is) !!!

Fished a lot on canals,,,, 99% in matches of at least 80 anglers. Also mainly using poles (very long rods 🙈) and to a man, everyone used to be respectful to other towpath users. Occasionally we'd hear about the odd rogue cyclist damaging gear, but that was extremely rare.

It's all about sharing the environment with respect for all,,,, IMHO 🙂

10 minutes ago, holloway said:

It’s the same old thing really isn’t it ,there are some helpful respectful bike riders and some ignorant ****holes ,same as with car drivers horse riders, dog owners , shop trolley pushers etc etc the human race basically!

Also this ☝️

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

I've been a cyclist, angler, runner, walker,,,, but never cycled (or ran) on a canal towpath, on roads only, 'cos I went everywhere fast (cycling, that is) !!!

Fished a lot on canals,,,, 99% in matches of at least 80 anglers. Also mainly using poles (very long rods 🙈) and to a man, everyone used to be respectful to other towpath users. Occasionally we'd hear about the odd rogue cyclist damaging gear, but that was extremely rare.

It's all about sharing the environment with respect for all,,,, IMHO 🙂

I still don`t get why they use long rods fishing almost to the other bank. Why don`t they fish on the other bank with short rods?:hmm:

I`ve seen this in Norfolk on the River Thurne, I think it was, near Potter Heigham. 

OB

Just now, Old Boggy said:

I still don`t get why they use long rods fishing almost to the other bank. Why don`t they fish on the other bank with short rods?:hmm:

I`ve seen this in Norfolk on the River Thurne, I think it was, near Potter Heigham. 

OB

Usually because the other bank is inaccessible OB. Also, with lots of activity on the bank, the fish often scoot off to the other side 😉

Pleasure fishing is different,,,, if allowed, you can rock up anywhere and drown some maggots 😃