Best cartage load for partridge and pheasant

lanky148

Going on my first game shoot in January but don't know what load to use, I have a 12 guage but need some advise as to the specific load to use for partridge and pheasant as I am very new to the sport, any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Ps. Any general advise would also be welcome 

Edited by lanky148

Hello. In my fifty years of shooting and my late father shooting at Wobuen and Kedleston I've seen or tried a lot of combinations. Back in the 1960s as paper cartridges were the normal thing and often with a roll turnover plus that shot quality was not always the best English #5 was very commonly used.

My father used paper cased roll turnover Eley Grand Prix 13/16th ounce English #5 in his G E Lewis or later plastic cased Eley 20 Bore Alphamax one ounce English #5. But I think that nowadays it is no longer needed few ever would think that English #5 were the best choice today for the 20 bore game shot. 

Now what I am going to suggest may seem radical but it is this. Choose a load that you'll use on these gamebirds that you can ALSO use at any local clay pigeon ground as "practice makes perfect". So for many places that means a maximum of 28 grams and a maximum shot size of English #6. And additionally you may, or may not, have to use fibre wad only on those grounds as you may probably anyway most likely have to do on your actual day.

So what does that give you as a choice in suitable cartridges for that actual day? The old standby Eley Impax in one ounce or 28 grams of English #6 or English #7 and the Hull Cartridge Company ditto "!One Ounce" in English #6 or English #7. But there's a better mousetrap. I have found that Englishn#7 can really "bladder" a close range twenty-five yards bird in any sort of even modest choke but that that English #6 doesn't clean kill woodcock.

So what I use now and know that I can also use it at any clay ground is RC Cartridges Professional Game 28 gram Italian #7. Which at 2.5mm is actually English 6 1/2. This breaks clays with authority and if you do your part kills any pheasant even at thirty or forty yards dead in the air. Yet has a pattern dense enough that there are fewer "holes" through which a woodcock or magpie might escape being killed or even hit at all.

So that's my advice. RC Professional Game 28 gram Italian #7 (it indeed says "7" and "2.5mm" on the box and on the individual cartridge. And it's a true 65mm case and fibre wad. 

https://shootingstarcc.co.uk/cartridges/rc/professional-game/

professional-game.jpg

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Use 28 gram loads in No.6 or No.7 shot. 
You do not need anything any heavier on bigger, whatever anyone tells you.

Indeed. And I agree 100%. And as said the same 28 gram in a shot size of English 6 1/2 is even better.

Edited by enfieldspares

I would normally say to use whatever cartridge you are used to , but as you are new to the sport there is plenty of advise above and the more you get on what size cartridge is best then the more confused you will get , also it would make a bit of difference if it is a high bird shoot or a shoot on the flat lands , on ours a Pheasant coming over the guns at 40 yds would be a very good bird and we wouldn't see many higher than that .

You haven't said weather your 12 g is a light gun or a heavy one and if it is a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 , as you might find it off putting if you have got a light 2 1/2 chambered gun and you get talked into buying some heavy 2 3/4 in 32 gm , just go into a gun shop , then tell them what you are using and they will put you right . Have a good day when it arrive .   MM

I’ve seen everything so far this season on our local commercial shoot from 3’s to 7’s, and drives consist of red legs and pheasant. 
On this shoot I only ever use RC SIPE 32grm 5’s, and although some would say they are too much for either bird, they kill absolutely everything stone dead in the air, even those that are ‘up there’. 
My favourite choke combination for driven days is 3/8 and 1/2. 
In all honesty 28grm of 7’s will do it, but we all find what works for us, ( as will you in time ) so it’s all subjective really. 
Remember, if it doesn’t work, it’s not the gun, it’s not the choke, and it’s not the cartridge….its you. 
Have fun. Remember to come up from behind where you can, and swwweeeeep those barrels through. 👍

I used to run a fairly large shoot.  The best shot I ever saw used 1 oz of No 6 in a 2 1/2" cartridge in a light gun.  He used Winchester GB 1 ounce which I'm not sure is available now?  Personally I use Hull Imperial game 1 oz (28 gm) No 6.

Bear in mind many shoots will require felt/fibre wads - and if there is to be a duck drive (as some shoots do) you will need suitable non toxic shot.

5 hours ago, wymberley said:

Assuming you know where you're going, you could ask the shoot what they suggest. If it'll be mixed birds, don't get all confused with 6s and 7s, 28g of Lyalvale Supreme Game 6&1/2s will do nicely. If it turns out to there's some 'high' birds you might just have to raise your cap to the odd pheasant.

Indeed. I sadly could not get them here in the East Midlands so thus the RC Professional Game.

Some good advice above. Cartridge fashions come and go with the latest being super fast cartridges with 32gm or above loads in largish shot. One thing I haven’t seen asked is what length chamber your gun is? Placing that on one side there is a reason that 28gm loads have stood the test of time ….. they work. Almost any manufacturer in this load No6 will kill if you do your bit. The best in my view are the Professional Game mentioned but I wouldn’t be fussy as you might have to just take what the dealer has. This load will also be easy on the shoulder!

just enjoy the day and don’t get hung up on what you put through the gun!

On 10/12/2023 at 14:18, London Best said:

Use 28 gram loads in No.6 or No.7 shot. 
You do not need anything any heavier on bigger, whatever anyone tells you.

On 10/12/2023 at 15:00, Scully said:

I’ve seen everything so far this season on our local commercial shoot from 3’s to 7’s, and drives consist of red legs and pheasant. 
On this shoot I only ever use RC SIPE 32grm 5’s, and although some would say they are too much for either bird, they kill absolutely everything stone dead in the air, even those that are ‘up there’. 
My favourite choke combination for driven days is 3/8 and 1/2. 
In all honesty 28grm of 7’s will do it, but we all find what works for us, ( as will you in time ) so it’s all subjective really. 
Remember, if it doesn’t work, it’s not the gun, it’s not the choke, and it’s not the cartridge….its you. 
Have fun. Remember to come up from behind where you can, and swwweeeeep those barrels through. 👍

All of the above☝️☝️

Put the shot in the right spot... Grit your teeth and kill the bird. Won't matter what cartridge you have in.

Edited by Krico woodcock