Wellington boots which ones are best ?

blasterjudd

So have worn Aigle wellies for years found them very comfortable and well made, however I currently have 2 pairs one for walking the dogs the others for shooting but theyve only lasted 3 seasons and are cracking now around the foot area and small leaks are appearing so what should u buy as replacements as am reading both aigles and le chameau are now rubbish and fall apart and crack quickly as there no longer handmade and come from China?

So what do you guys now buy and recommend to purchase for mens wellies ???? 

7 hours ago, Aled said:

Dunlop! Mine are taking for ever to come to an end, they have outlasted Barbour, Hunter, and Jack Pyke!! 

I have a pair of cheap Dunlop half length green wellies ........... and they are very good indeed for the price (under £15), but not (for me anyway) very comfortable - need thick socks to save feet.  Had them 2 or 3 years and wearing well used frequently, though I wouldn't want to wear them for a long active day, but great for taking dog to the fields for half an hour.

I had some Muck Boots 'clogs' type short rubber shoes.  Very comfortable, but the rubber used was horribly slippery on some surfaces when wet.  They didn't wear well at all.  Other products may be fine, but I wouldn't buy these again.

LeChameau (neoprene lined) for my 'shooting' wellies.  Perhaps I've been lucky as mine have worn well and still good after several years.  It seems others have not been so lucky and Aigle seem to have a better name, but not tried them yet.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a pair of cheap Dunlop half length green wellies ........... and they are very good indeed for the price (under £15), but not (for me anyway) very comfortable - need thick socks to save feet.  Had them 2 or 3 years and wearing well used frequently, though I wouldn't want to wear them for a long active day, but great for taking dog to the fields for half an hour.

I had some Muck Boots 'clogs' type short rubber shoes.  Very comfortable, but the rubber used was horribly slippery on some surfaces when wet.  They didn't wear well at all.  Other products may be fine, but I wouldn't buy these again.

LeChameau (neoprene lined) for my 'shooting' wellies.  Perhaps I've been lucky as mine have worn well and still good after several years.  It seems others have not been so lucky and Aigle seem to have a better name, but not tried them yet.

I too have been lucky with a pair of neoprene lined Le Chameau boots which I’ve had over 20 years and used every week for shooting. Had a pair of Aigles prior to these which developed leaks after a few years.

My pal had a pair of Le Chameau fairly recently which split after just a few months, so it would appear that the original French made ones were far superior to the latest ones.

OB

On 25/02/2024 at 07:31, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I went for the Le Chemeau on the advise of that thread and did not regret it. 

They have been used near enough every day October to April through the 22/23 season and have been used almost every day since Oct 2023 clay shooting, beating and dog walking and with a good clean they would be as new. 

I would 100% recommend Le Chemeau as a quality item over the cheaper sub £85 options out there. 

5 hours ago, Raw and wriggley said:

Tried loads of different types for work and shooting they all don’t last these days but just bought a pair of Skellerup Quatro they look and feel the real deal    They come up a bit large but not much so fingers crossed 🤞

Just the same trend with everything UK? The incessant drive to cut cost ensures the pathway? Quality is largely irrelevant nowadays?

5 hours ago, Raw and wriggley said:

🤞

Edited by old man