Goodbye old chap

Had to say goodbye to an old friend today. Archi, he was 10, had a very rapid cancer. From him going off his food to today was less than a week. He hadn't lost condition. Just didn't want to move.took him to the vet and he was riddled. Such a kind dog, never bit anyone, couldn't catch a squirrel if his life depended on it. Slept in the same bed as the cat and loved the kids. Will miss you pal. 

11 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Had to say goodbye to an old friend today. Archi, he was 10, had a very rapid cancer. From him going off his food to today was less than a week. He hadn't lost condition. Just didn't want to move.took him to the vet and he was riddled. Such a kind dog, never bit anyone, couldn't catch a squirrel if his life depended on it. Slept in the same bed as the cat and loved the kids. Will miss you pal. 

So sorry for your loss. 

Have to take my old spaniel Jess who lives with my mum to be PTS next week. 

She’s made 14 but her legs are going and keeps collapsing. 

Dreading the day. 

I haven't read any of the above posts, as I find them too upsetting. The title was enough.

Having been in this position a few times I know how hard it can be, but it will ease with time. You don't forget (maybe better if one could).

Take care. 

Like many other members I have got a lot of years under my belt in owning dogs , all my dogs over the last 50 years or so have been Labs , more faithful than a lot of the human race , taking them to the vets for the final time certainly don't get any easier , if anything it get harder , you can rest assured you gave your dog Archi a brilliant life and he wouldn't have any regrets.      MM 

My thoughts are with you, my boy is 10 in about a weeks time but I have already felt the pain of losing him in the future, when my father passed away I didn't shed a single tear, but whenever I think my dog is unwell I go to pieces.

On 25/05/2024 at 10:01, Lloyd90 said:

So sorry for your loss. 

Have to take my old spaniel Jess who lives with my mum to be PTS next week. 

She’s made 14 but her legs are going and keeps collapsing. 

Dreading the day. 

Read the poem, The Last Battle. It helped me.

18 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Read the poem, The Last Battle. It helped me.

At least he had a good life and love. 

I know it does not help but we all have to do our best for a pal and loving friend even when it hurts us and our family as a pet is.