What scopes you guys use on your HMRs

Keith RW

Looking to add an HMR to the collection when renewal gets sorted and wondered what scopes you guys make use of on yours,

With most HMRs appearing to be used for around the 100 meter range, and at which distances I am also looking at setting up for, are there any point of aim problems if making use of a decent side focus scope between those ranges when this cal has such a flat trajectory, would have thought zero at 100 and plus or minus 20 should not be an issue but looking to you experienced hands on here for the advice rather than trial and error experience ..............

Thanks for any assistance in my introduction to rimfires :)

Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10 x 50 - very pleased with it but on reflection I'd go for side focus and a bit more magnification. I'll move this scope over to a .22 RF and replace it at some point. I have a couple of Hawke Panorama's on air rifles but by comparison unsurprisingly I find I'm packing up earlier with these as the light fades and at shorter ranges too. At the end of the day it is all about light gathering followed by whether the scope will hold it's zero through life's little bumps and knocks on a rimfire and these are the differences between a £140 and a £400 scope.

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest putting a mid-range optic on a rimfire and so I would also suggest Meopta's. They have a very good optical quality for the money. A Meopro 6-18x50 is a suggestion.

Hawke 6-24x50IR on mine.

Overkill yes, but a very good scope bought in a clearence sale for £100!

Before that was a Bushnell 3-9x40. It was/is a great scope and I do miss using it sometimes (but im much happier with the higher mag. when shooting Carrion Crows at longer ranges - still only go up to 14x or 16x mag. though) but its in the spare room, waiting for a .22...

I use a leupold 3-9x33 efr it was designed for use on a hmr and is superb small light guaranteed for life scope

you don't need fancy reticles on a hmr they fire like a laser and I think its the best medium range up to 160 meter calibre available .would never remove the 17 from my cabinet and I am also biased with this little leupy scope its the only scope I have ever kept its superb even when using with my night vision attached (ns200) it makes a good lightweight bite vision set up . preference the ns200 on the hmr than putting my drone pro on top converts from a day scope to a night unit in a couple of minutes and the leupy keeps the picture crystal clear

Edited by psycho

I had a Hawke 4-12*50 Panorama on mine, then swapped it for a Bushnell 3-9*50 - much better glass, but no mildots. For the ranges I use my HMR at, I have no need of them.

I have just fitted an MTC Mamba to my 22-250. Twice the price of the Hawke, but much better glass-work.

Saying that: I set my zero to 106m which give me a 1" kill zone from about 27m to about 117m.

I have an Hawke 3-9*50 HD on my .22 LR, which INHO is inferior and not up to the ranges you can play with a hummer at.

Also: I lamp mostly. I have the Illuminated Reticule (IR) on it, but when lighting up the quarry the cross hairs are clear, so you can save a few bucks there.