Advice Urinating in the street and my shotgun licence

AlexThePoacher

So I went out for a few a couple of weekends ago and the nightclub had closed and I needed to relieve myself. I did so in a doorway which was a stupid thing looking back now.

Police caught me doing it and said it was going to go to court. I hadn't heard anything for a couple of weeks and tonight they came round to see me.

They told me I could go to court and go down that route and potentially I would get a criminal record for Drunk and Disorderly or I could pay the £90 fine.

What would the advice be from the members of the forum be apart from in the future to not drink so much alcohol.

Most of all I'm worried about losing my shotguns if I'm totally honest as it would be a big part of my life ruined by a simple mistake when drunk. I am not known to the police and this is the first time they have spoke to me.

The woman who was there at the time came around because she wanted to give me another option to sort it instead of going down the court route. So what should I do? Accept the £90 fine or go the court route? The Police Sgt has already made his statement already so the ball is in my court as such.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you drunk? You dont have to be drunk and disorderly to get caught short for a wee. Could it be a case of changing facts for fiction to get a better result?

That must be a very unpleasant aspect for neighbours living near pubs and clubs etc. I'd want the police to crack down on it if it were my front or shop doorway.

I'd rather get done in court for urinating in public than being done on the quiet for being drunk if I weren't - so look closely at ANY paperwork because it sounds like it might be an offer of a caution.

Just pays to find somewhere discrete like a quiet patch of ground or tree where it won't stink up someones front doorway next time.

Just make sure the ticket is for urinating and not for being drunk and disorderly. It's a significant difference where your guns are concerned. I would also ring up your feo just to let him know. They would find out anyway but it shows that your open and honest and regret your actions.

+1 Urinating in the street is not drunk and disorderly. Who is to say you were drunk? In london at night you see people pee-ing in the streets all the time at night because they closed all the public toilets. I don't see you can be blamed for a call of nature. The shop doorway, thats different

I am not a lawyer...presumably the fine route is accepting a police caution,what is the offence on that caution? If in any doubt and you value your license take legal advice..I do not know but would think a D&D with shotguns dont mix too well...

I've been prosecuted for that years ago didn't get the fine option, it went to court and in the local paper aswell feo didn't even mention it and I also forgot about it. Never made a difference to my FAC/SGC.

no doubt you put the offence down on your renewal application?

It sounds more like they are offering you a fixed penalty notice (aka a ticket). You don't pay a fine for a caution.

Were you breathalysed?-if not then I cannot see them proving D&D?

Police officers are classed as expert witnesses for drunken behaviour in a court so would not have to breathalyze to prove the offence.

So I went out for a few a couple of weekends ago and the nightclub had closed and I needed to relieve myself. I did so in a doorway which was a stupid thing looking back now.

Police caught me doing it and said it was going to go to court. I hadn't heard anything for a couple of weeks and tonight they came round to see me.

They told me I could go to court and go down that route and potentially I would get a criminal record for Drunk and Disorderly or I could pay the £90 fine.

What would the advice be from the members of the forum be apart from in the future to not drink so much alcohol.

Most of all I'm worried about losing my shotguns if I'm totally honest as it would be a big part of my life ruined by a simple mistake when drunk. I am not known to the police and this is the first time they have spoke to me.

The woman who was there at the time came around because she wanted to give me another option to sort it instead of going down the court route. So what should I do? Accept the £90 fine or go the court route? The Police Sgt has already made his statement already so the ball is in my court as such.

So I take it they cautioned, arrested and charged you? Did they take you into custody? If so under what circumstance did they release you? Did you agree to anything?

If they/you didn't? surely it's too late for them to do anything? Unless you have or do agree/admit it?

As I said legal advice should be sought to ensure you don't drop yourself deeper in the smelly stuff....if you are a member give BASC a ring for some advice.

Edited by panoma1