Cecil the Lion - merged threads

hollidca

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know much about bows, but I can't think it's a suitable way to despatch a Lion.

I have never agreed with Trophy hunting . The killing of any animal should be for either food, pest control or conservation and of course, for the welfare of the animal. Even then, the kill should be quick and humane affording the respect this Lion undoubtedly deserved. To kill something as magnificent as a Lion just for the sake of killing and having a new rug or wall hanger is abhorrent to me.

Wether this guy was stitched up or not by some Del Boy outfit, he was ultimately the one behind the arrow. He sought them with the intent of killing a Lion

I just want to know who called him "Cecil"

Not really an all powerful name for such a beast.

Ps, def wrong to have 'shot fishes in a barrel' moment as by footage I have seen he was extremely timid towards humans .....

Cecil Rhodes ??

The pleb is over 21 years old. He is educated and freely decided to travel to Africa. His past history suggests he thinks he is above the law. I hope he gets his just deserve

Edited by hoggysreels

Stitched up? Why did they destroy the tracking collar then?

Whether it was Cecil or not, treating any animal like that makes you deserve that your next bowel movement in a hedgehog.

Disgraceful

Edited by kyska

Americans love hunting with compound bows - but even at arrow speeds of 400fps, I'm not convinced they have the power to take down an animal the size of a lion or bear. However, without this market the likes of Hoyt wouldn't exist.

It does bring an interesting debate though I feel. If you talk to non shooters about pigeon shooting you might get a bit of a reaction, but generally not too much. Mention game birds and the reaction often increases. Talk deer stalker and you definitely get polarisation - and talk Big Game hunting such as this, and probably the over whelming reaction is a definite No. If anyone I'm talking to disagrees with shooting, then I ask them their view on fishing - rarely had anyone condemn that! So I make the point that everyone has their "size" acceptability - be it killing mice up to shooting Rhino.

Personally, I would never go Big Game hunting.

Edited by MrM

Why's its disgraceful, most bows with a hunting broadhead arrow are putting far more enrgy into a beast at close ranges than most huntring bullets would. Basically like fireing a 400-500gr bullet with 4 razor sharp razor blades attached to it.

This case sounds a complete botch up/cowboy job from start to finish and does no one any favours. But trophy hunting can bring in a vast ammount of money for very little work/efort when done sustainably.

If 2-5 quid a month can save kids out there imagine how much good 32K will do for the locals.

Mr M makes a very good point, many of us will bait foxes out and shoot them. Wots the difference? Both are appex predators and in some environments may need to be controlled

I don't know much about bows, but I can't think it's a suitable way to despatch a Lion.

I have never agreed with Trophy hunting . The killing of any animal should be for either food, pest control or conservation and of course, for the welfare of the animal. Even then, the kill should be quick and humane affording the respect this Lion undoubtedly deserved. To kill something as magnificent as a Lion just for the sake of killing and having a new rug or wall hanger is abhorrent to me.

Wether this guy was stitched up or not by some Del Boy outfit, he was ultimately the one behind the arrow. He sought them with the intent of killing a Lion

My thoughts are the same on this matter.

Why's its disgraceful, most bows with a hunting broadhead arrow are putting far more enrgy into a beast at close ranges than most huntring bullets would. Basically like fireing a 400-500gr bullet with 4 razor sharp razor blades attached to it.

This case sounds a complete botch up/cowboy job from start to finish and does no one any favours. But trophy hunting can bring in a vast ammount of money for very little work/efort when done sustainably.

If 2-5 quid a month can save kids out there imagine how much good 32K will do for the locals.

Mr M makes a very good point, many of us will bait foxes out and shoot them. Wots the difference? Both are appex predators and in some environments may need to be controlled

I think your missing the point, the animal allegedly took 40 hours to die (just what i heard could be wrong) but what ever no one with any sense could argue in all seriousness that a bow is the right tool for the job.

yes trophy hunting can help the villages but this is done by the correct body not for profit by private operations and it usually involves old or injured animals or a specific animal which needs culling, this cash has gone to fund someone's life style not to raise funds to save someone's life

I like shooting and hunting, but an endangered apex predator baited off a reserve? wrong in so many ways.

Very close to my own thoughts.

I can understand that hunting of lions is sometimes appropriate, just like any other wildlife species that live alongside man it will need to be managed at some point in time, whether to protect it or to thin numbers. I also recognise that where management needs to happen that having wealthy foreign hunters participate can bring in much needed income to these communities, but it must always be done with the requisite duty of care and respect to the animal in question and that has to mean taking every step to minimise the risk of not killing it cleanly and only killing the appropriate beasts.

I think the 'hunter' in question deserves everything that is coming to him as a result of the negative media focus, not because he chose to hunt a lion, but because of the way he went about it. I absolutely do not believe his story that he was stitched up, I think he knew exactly what the situation was.

Could of easily taken 40 hours to follow up if gut shot with a rifle. I would think arrow placement was the issue here not it's suitability.

I think your missing the point, the animal allegedly took 40 hours to die (just what i heard could be wrong) but what ever no one with any sense could argue in all seriousness that a bow is the right tool for the job.

yes trophy hunting can help the villages but this is done by the correct body not for profit by private operations and it usually involves old or injured animals or a specific animal which needs culling, this cash has gone to fund someone's life style not to raise funds to save someone's life

I like shooting and hunting, but an endangered apex predator baited off a reserve? wrong in so many ways.

Edited by Penelope

I don't agree with how it was killed or the reason for it - not to be eaten or for pest control.

A bit odd that some of the outraged never bat an eyelid over rats. It's always whales, badgers or lions. They are magnificent creatures, but there is an element of double standards.

A bit odd that some of the outraged never bat an eyelid over rats. It's always whales, badgers or lions. They are magnificent creatures, but there is an element of double standards.

Very much the point I was making earlier Gordon, - although I wouldn't necessarily agree it's double standards so much as levels of acceptability, as pretty much everyone will find it acceptable to kill some form of animal in their lifetime (unless you are a Buddhist!) - and yes that could be just semantics!

Edited by MrM

I do not believe for one moment that this worthless individual was stitched up, he was not carried blindfolded into the bush, no he would have carefully examined the creature through the lenses of his very expensive binoculars to see if it was a worthwhile trophy and one would assume in the process then have seen the tracking collar. I notice that he has a history in this type of behaviour, I sincerely hope that because of his wanton act of killing this magnificent local icon that the rest of his life turns to dog-#### and that he is left in despair for the rest of his days. :unhappy:

Could of easily taken 40 hours to follow up if gut shot with a rifle. I would think arrow placement was the issue here not it's suitability.

No I don't know if you use a bow or like bows or whatever could influence your view point but a bow is simply not the tool to use.

Further to use your point about poor arrow placement yes thats right mainly because arrow placement is intrinsically more difficult than bullet placement, not wanting to belittle bows but for accuracy you would have a comparison between;

A very expensive hunting rifle of the correct caliber with equally expensive glass Vs a bow & arrow????? whatever the fancy bow & arrow you're comparing the two? and coming up with a bow & arrow being suitable for the job,....really?