FAC/SGC no good as proof of ID?

Scully

As posted earlier had to go into big town to organise new debit card after previous one was compromised.

Had a bank statement and SGC plus credit card and debit card with me but obviously staff in big town don't know me and after a cursory look at my credit and debit cards and bank statement and SGC I was asked if I had any other proof of ID.

I asked if my SGC was not good enough and was told my passport would have been better ! After explaining the process involved prior to being granted a FAC/SGC, including a GP's letter, she sought further advice and returned 10 minutes later and asked me loads of further security questions, which was fair enough; I wouldn't expect anything else.

The lady was pleasant enough and just doing her job and we had quite good craic, and I have no complaints, but just wondered if anyone else had found that their SGC or FAC was not valid for some companies as proof of ID.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few years back i had to cash something at the PO and it asked for id on the form. My passport had expired so i took along my FAC & SGC,but they said no. So i then took out my very old and very tattered pink paper driving licence.

My old licence was in such a bad way that parts of it were unreadable. It also dont have a picture,but they accepted it without question. Now i have a photocard licence.

I think rules, procedures or 'tick lists' have taken the place of initiative. If the person who produced the list of 'acceptable' proofs of identity did not include SGC or FAC, then you're often 'out' if you wave one about as evidence of your identity. Believe it not, it's not unheard of for HM Forces Identity cards to be equally inadmissible because someone didn't put them on the company 'list'.

Bonkers most of the time. I went to buy some US Dollar from the Post Office counter and I was asked to produce photo ID which I took exception to. I was trying to pay with a debit card, which would have left an audit trail anyway, then I was told that I didn't need ID if I paid cash!

I stepped 2 paces to the left and used an ATM in the Post Office and then paid for my dollars in cash leaving no audit trail.......I was told ( wrongly) that this was all to do with Money Laundering Regs.

Total muppets.

Edited by harpoonlouis

Bonkers most of the time. I went to buy some US Dollar from the Post Office counter and I was asked to produce photo ID which I took exception to. I was trying to pay with a debit card, which would have left an audit trail anyway, then I was told that I didn't need ID if I paid cash!

I stepped 2 paces to the left and used an ATM in the Post Office and then paid for my dollars in cash leaving no audit trail.......I was told ( wrongly) that this was all to do with Money Laundering Regs.

Total muppets.

The money laundering paranoia is as you say out of hand.I gave my daughter a bungalow for free and the solicitor went into a total panic as she said it came under the money laundering. Surely there would have to be some money involved for it to be as such

Sorry, but I wouldn't be using either my SGC or a FAC if I had one for ID :no:

What are you thinking?

Hi My name is ****** and I have guns in my house?

Call me a cynic, but is that not a bit silly???

You dont know the person your showing it to has no past, nor current connection to gangs, or criminal rings etc :no:

What are you thinking?

You dont know the person your showing it to has no past, nor current connection to gangs, or criminal rings etc :no:

I would agree, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, the police generally advise against it.

Always show mine shove shooting in folks faces

invited to Buck House garden party last year had to show photo ID at the gate Guy said do not get many of these in you go. Next person in my good lady yep another shotgun cert.

If its good enough for HRH it should be good enough anywhere

What are you thinking?

A tad paranoid perhaps? There are many many people out there who know I own guns and where I live, from the ladies at the local NFU office where my guns are insured (cost me 7 quid to insure my Perazzi incidentally) to all the GP's and staff at my local clinic, to all the staff in my local bank and all those in my local building society, to all the local bobbies and licensing staff at Carleton Hall Police HQ, to almost everybody in my local town and many Pw'ers I've swapped addresses with over the years.

I don't think I'll lose much sleep over another bank employee knowing likewise.

I broke down on the A1 on the way to Glasgow ,so needed to hire a car to continue my journey as the car was not instantly repairable, as luck would have it my certificate and permission letters were in the car which cam in handy as apparently I needed 3 proofs of ID with address to hire a car!!

Never had that issue abroad.