Retirment approaching

Davyo

I part retired when i was 50 reducing hours down to 24hrs(3 pensions matured)with a plan to finish on my 55th birthday October 2017 when my other pensions and investment mature.Howeverfter the news of my dearest friend getting the big C and myself having to have physio on my shoulder,i went into work yesterday and reduced my hrs to 12hrs per week.

Cant wait for my 55th,already ordered a new day boat for delivery next spring.Going to spend the rest of my days fishing,a bit lake and loch fishing with summer Makerel.

Sometimes lifes a bitch when you start losing those that you hold close.

Edited by Davyo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be the best thing you ever did. I've been retired now for nearly 5 months, managed to get out at 56. I left a job which paid a very good salary but you quickly come to realise that the money is nothing compared to time, something you cannot buy. It is far more precious at our age. Enjoy it while you can!

A lot of people enjoy their job and carry on working well into their retirement and a lot of lottery winners still continue with the job even though they don't need to. Does anyone that has retired ever mis going into work. Do you ever feel that you are lost and not in the loop anymore even though you can go and do as you please?

A lot of people enjoy their job and carry on working well into their retirement and a lot of lottery winners still continue with the job even though they don't need to. Does anyone that has retired ever mis going into work. Do you ever feel that you are lost and not in the loop anymore even though you can go and do as you please?

No...so many other things to-do, don't miss work one bit.

Miss going in to work? Let me think about that for a second - in a word NO! I had a good job, working for a very good employer and with mainly a good team of people. I still see some of those (those I want to) and I'm still in contact with some of the people in North America I used to deal with. Definitely not lost and still very much in the loop. There's so much to do, but you can do it pretty much when it pleases you. Nowhere near the time pressures now, much more relaxed, much happier. Absolutely no regrets.

Enjoy that Davyo. I'd say lucky you - but it's more like you took better decisions in earlier working life than I did. :good:

Due to a recently revised local council taxi age policy of not renewing licences of vehicles over 11 years old I'm effectively being forced into retirement soon because I cannot justify borrowing 10K ish to replace the vehicle with one that cannot be more than 5 years old, passes the MOT first time and cannot be represented if it fails the MOT for even the most trivial reason. That's unreasonable council bullying of small private businesses IMO. :unhappy:

I bought my Galaxy new (on HP) with the intention of plodding along part time for couple of years after retirement but Leicester city council totally screwed that retirement plan I put into place 12 years ago.

At 65 years old in December and working 30 hours PW with health issues I have little choice but to retire just after Xmas this year. I'm not looking forwards to managing on the state pension and may have to look at some home equity release.

Well done Davyo .a life plan that worked.Dave G know where your coming from .Dad bless him had it all mapped out then the big c took him in 12 weeks ,left mum with 7 life insurances that didnt pay out conning lying scum.So instead of being comfortable she,s scraping by on the pension in sheltered housing .They dont wont you to retire just work till you keel over :no:

Retired at 53! Because I could! Have never for a millisecond regretted it! I have long given up on ever being a multi millionaire, but I get by! And honestly........it doesn't matter! As long as you've got a good family life, no debts, enough money to live on.....and more importantly good health.........retirement is a no brainer........I worked from the age of 15 and did my bit.........the rest of my life is my own!

Edited by panoma1

I'm on track to retire in 9 years, I'll be 50.

Saying I'm on track, that's when I could retire, I'm in a muddle already because hand on heart, truthfully I absolutely love my job, I wake up motivated almost everyday.

I'd like to put more time into the farm, especially the pedigree sheep flock, but at this moment I can't imagine leaving my job.

Most people in the building trade I meet are working up until they are 6' down. They retire at 60 and get bored fast after 6-12 months they're back at it.

My dads 64 and can't retire thanks to idiots :( but he enjoys his job and it keeps him moving / healthy.

I've heard of so many that 2 years after they finish they're gone . Some sit around and the illness kicks in .

I hope you enjoy it ;)

Only today we were on about pensions and I mentioned I haven't got one at 35 years old. I won't bother either as I struggle to keep what I've got now.

I'm in the living for the now ;)

To all of you aiming to retire before you are 55 well done. I have never been disciplined enough to put much money away in a pension although with the pension reforms of a few years ago it has made it much more attractive. I also 'suffered' by working overseas for about 8 years of my working life which meant I want eligible to contribute to a UK pension scheme.

I have set myself a target of retiring when my pot reaches £1mln which should be in 4 years when I am 58 BUT it may take longer if returns taper out.

Then I am just going to spend it all on a straight line basis Until I die or reach 85 whichever comes sooner. If I reach 85 then I will probably be sitting in a cheap care home, senile and ******* myself so I won't care about not having any money left.

My brother is 70 next year and still works 6 days a week because he loves it. He doesn't need the money. I couldn't see myself doing that.

It'll be the best thing you ever did. I've been retired now for nearly 5 months, managed to get out at 56. I left a job which paid a very good salary but you quickly come to realise that the money is nothing compared to time, something you cannot buy. It is far more precious at our age. Enjoy it while you can!

+1

You jamy ****** most working people are lucky if they are able to retire at 65 lots of people will have to work in to there 70s just to make ends meet stop feeling sorry for yourself and think just how lucky you really are.

+1

You jamy ****** most working people are lucky if they are able to retire at 65 lots of people will have to work in to there 70s just to make ends meet stop feeling sorry for yourself and think just how lucky you really are.

I agree some people dont know how well off they are,but good luck to the fella,