Should all car be fitted with kill switches!

Davyo

After watching the news tonight and a fan off 'The interseptors ' should all cars be fitted with a kill switch that can cut a cars engine off! Basically a stolen car can be imoblised from a central control office if it shows as stationary.Or when a persute starts a car is imobilised when on a quiet road or when is safe to do so.Would stop all these high speed chases through busy streets.Or a police apachee helicopter with hell fire missiles to just blow the thriving or drunken scum off the road.

Sounds okay, but kill the engine, you take out the brakes and power steering - which could prove fatal. Stingers bring cars to a progressively slower stop.

But maybe something that could apply the brakes etc.There will obviously be the technology out there.Maybe sensors that can detect drugs or alcohol and stop the car being started.Cars that also won't start unless you put your valid photo card licence in as the key.

Just been watching on Interseptors,the scum had 24 offences for driving,spitting and biting officers and a he got was a slap on the hand.These scummy bags are just going to breed scum.Should just get a bullet in the back of the napper on the was back to the police station.

After watching the news tonight and a fan off 'The interseptors ' should all cars be fitted with a kill switch that can cut a cars engine off! Basically a stolen car can be imoblised from a central control office if it shows as stationary.Or when a persute starts a car is imobilised when on a quiet road or when is safe to do so.Would stop all these high speed chases through busy streets.Or a police apachee helicopter with hell fire missiles to just blow the thriving or drunken scum off the road.

Chain gun, gazillion rounds a minute, cuts the car in half occupants left sitting wondering where the other half has gone. Fine unless you are sitting in the centre back seat.

Seriously, I have read of various means of immobilising moving cars so far none of them seem to be risk free, Even stingers must have some risk attached, smallish maybe but still a risk.

Case of prevention is better than the cure, car security has improved immensely over the last few years ( to the point of SB's stealing keys by breaking into houses). Who knows what technology will emerge in the future. Voice, finger print, eye ball recognition e.g.

Posted at 10:55, you have obviously had several drinks! :rolleyes:

Chain gun, gazillion rounds a minute, cuts the car in half occupants left sitting wondering where the other half has gone. Fine unless you are sitting in the centre back seat.

Seriously, I have read of various means of immobilising moving cars so far none of them seem to be risk free, Even stingers must have some risk attached, smallish maybe but still a risk.

Case of prevention is better than the cure, car security has improved immensely over the last few years ( to the point of SB's stealing keys by breaking into houses). Who knows what technology will emerge in the future. Voice, finger print, eye ball recognition e.g.

You are having a joke mate. 30 second to smash a window, plug in to the OBD, over-ride the security and unlock the doors and code a new key. I was shown a video of that happening when I was down at a company that retrofit high end car technology. I was so alarmed I rang my cars manufacturer and asked the master technician the question. He in turn e-mailed head office and sent me the reply. It was long and waffling and talked about working with various stakeholders, the law requiring third party access to the OBD and various tech universities working to plug security gaps, blah blah blah. Short answer, yes All modern cars are at risk.

I rang my insurance company and asked if there was any discount to fit a tracker, short answer no. So all in all, probably best to just leave the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. Just get the crime number and phone the insurance when it's gone.

Edited by achosenman

Sounds okay, but kill the engine, you take out the brakes and power steering - which could prove fatal. Stingers bring cars to a progressively slower stop.

Would not kill brakes, many pumps of the pedal would deplete the vacuum assist, but with no engine running it's not like they're going to speed up.

As for steering yes it will still work, just more heavy.

The situation would be no different or dangerous than stalling or drastic engine failure and coasting to a standstill

As for steering yes it will still work, just more heavy.

Some years ago, my wife had a Vauxhall Meriva with the electro power steering. When the power cut out, it became dangerously heavy. I coped with it, my wife couldn't. Brakes don't take that many pumps to cease being power assisted.

If either of these happened on a bend, for example, and the driver was injured or killed, there would be an outcry. There seems to be an assumption that this proposed system could never be activated against an innocent party.

The situation would be no different or dangerous than stalling or drastic engine failure and coasting to a standstill

In some cases, you would be correct. However, car thieves tend to be driving a little more quickly and dangerously than Joe Public.

This is something a private company should do and owners could choose to install or not to install. The company would make it as safe as possible to avoid being sued for killing someone and the users are all willing. Otherwise it's a bit big brother if the state have the power to immobilise cars en mass like that. IMHO.

I don't think they should have kill switches. Imagine when some geek cracks the software and all cars are stopped on a motorway or in rush hour traffic. Thing of nightmares, what next government mind control?

If a car won't stop and runs amok never mind shooting the tyres just shoot the sodding driver, see how quick people stop trying to get away.

Edited by figgy

My friend has a new leased 5 series and it was stolen a few months back when they were burgled, the lease company used a tracker to find it and then a remote immobiliser to stop it being moved while the police kept watch on it and promptly arrested the scrotes who stole it, so the technology already exists and is already being used but I would imagine the legalities surrounding stopping a moving car remotely are horrendous.

In the 80's when we had the joyrider epidemic it didn't take the police too long to work out that by not chasing them it took the fun out of it for the joyriders and danger out of it for the rest of the public, they mostly did it for the thrill of the chase so no chase meant no fun and no point in doing it

Edited by Twistedsanity

I think that this could be done now as it seems that most new cars are connected to the internet for sat naves and parking devices.

I think that this is part of the reason why people are buying older cars trucks and having them restored this tends to apply more to 4x4s old pickup trucks and toyota 4x4s not forgetting the good old land rover most of which have little more than engine management computers if that this idea appeals to me very much.

It's been on large construction plant for many years now.cat can monitor machines working all over the world.and can shut them down at will.they don't have to shut them down straight off it can be graduated so if this was applied to cars it would not be a danger.it is very old technology.

Was going to say the same as bostonmick above, most modern high end tractors and forestry machines esp harvesters can be monitored from the manufacters.

Have heard a 'rural myth' about 1 worker for a large farm phoning up local JD dealership when his tractor stopped working, the mechanic pased him onto the accounts department who told him to tell his boss to phone them and cough up the money he owed them (servicing and machine payments).

Seemingly they could stop the fuel pump by satelite

Many harvesters have been linked by satelite for years now and the sawmill can tell the mchine to favour certain cuts/logs over others.

For me cars/engines/quad (hell even chainsaws are now computer daignostics) are far to electronic, just far too much to go wrong in future for 2/3rd hand car market, a simple fuse or bad connection can shut the whole engine down

A far better option would be to fit the criminals with some sort of device that could immobilise them.

If it also had GPS they could tell who was in the car they were chasing.

It's the same people nicking the cars over and over.

One of the local scroates got remanded and at his trial the Police said car crime had gone down 90%.

I'm with you on that, attached to an Apache so if the guns doesn't work, the Hellfires will.

On a slightly more serious note, someone mentioned the scum ball that was spitting and biting yet we still have people that complain about the use of spit hoods!

Back in WW2, with pending invasion of Britain on the cards, some several dozens of motorists found themselves in jail for breaking the law.

The offence? Failing to secure a motor vehicle (i.e. totally immobilise it when not in use, to prevent use by German paratroopers, no doubt dressed as nuns...)

An uncle still did this to his car in the 70's.

The commonest method? Remove the rotor arm...takes less than 5 minutes.

Edited by saddler