congregating smokers

wandringstar

I can not see were he is coming from saying vaping is costing him more lets say you got a 30ml bottle for around £10 and vaped about 3ml a day so 10 days makes it a pound a day, not sure what fags are these days as i stopped smoking almost 3years ago.

Strangely enough , I work with a guy that spends around £30.00 per week on vaping , yet he only spent £5.00 per week on smoking.

Vaping and its smells and flavours , and e cigs , have become his new hobby.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a casual smoker, and have been for the past 20 years or so. I think the smoking bans great, remember going to night clubs and the smoke laying about 1 foot off the ceiling and getting your good clothes burnt by a fag end?

I can't stand people smoking right outside doors either and having to push through them with the kids while they glare at you for trying to get past lol, and don't get me started on smoking outside the hospital doors.

We went for a boys weekend to Copenhagen last year and they seem to have the right idea, pubs under a certain size can allow smoking if they want (good for smaller country pubs) and the larger ones it's banned, but their big enough to take the drop in trade.

How are kids getting hold of these vapour things,seen quite a few recently using them.

Internet i assume.

i dont think they are regulated in the same way as fags so can be sold mail order?

I maybe wrong though.

On a side note we have a 'vape hub' in our town, basically a vape shop with some sofas and TVs, i think they may sell tea and coffee paper cup style. its always rammed with all ages - and it looks as if someone has started up a steam train in there, you cant see the back of the shop.

Edited by ph5172

With smokers generating 12bn a year in tax revenues and smoking costing the NHS 6bn, it seems to me that smokers are actually generating a welcome income to our economy.

i think even the NHS say smokers put more in than they take out

Since the smoking ban, I often go to pubs and clubs and have to push my way through people smoking right outside an entrance, what is it with these people? Why not just move to the side and think of others, it actually puts me off wanting to go in sometimes.

Its up there with blocking someones drive. lol.

I wonder how your apparently delicate and easily offended nature would cope in my home town during the tourist season, when not only are the outsides of local pubs and hotels surrounded by people smoking, but drinking also, to extreme, and especially that part of the tourist season that includes the gypsy horse fair!

Seriously, if congregating smokers are all you have to contend with, you've got it good.

If there was a complete ban I wonder where the government would get that 12bn from.

The motorist,

I'm in the never smoked club and don't miss the next morning having your clothes from the night before stinking of smoke,

Before the ban I remember being in an Indian restaurant eating with friends and the next table puffing away between courses,

I also don't know of anyone who stopped going to the pub because of the ban,

When I started drinking in 1975 (yes I know, I don't look old enough) there were 20 odd drinking places in our town/village, about half that now but not down to the ban, most were CIU clubs and as the older people died off the places closed,

Only 1 proper drinking pub now,

Rest are wetherspoons/themed foody pubs or still the odd club.

People started going out later as the opening hours extended and people drink before they go out so they don't spend as much these days,

The price of soft drinks Is horrendous, it's syrup mixed with fizzy water.

All that will be left soon is food pubs and clubs soon

:shaun:

Australia have it right. Most beaches are now non smoking, there are strict limits on how far away from entrances to buildings smokers have to be. The same applies to play grounds and parks.

It's pretty disgusting walking on a sandy beach and getting a fag butt between the toes.

West Coast America is the same, vehemently anti smoking.

I almost gag on the smell of cigarette smoke entering some places over here. A mate of mine is always bitching he's skint but smokes 30 a day at a cost of £15.

Thankfully the Europe and most of the med are still reasonable and allow smoking in a civilised manner

How are kids getting hold of these vapour things,seen quite a few recently using them.

Same way they got fags and booze hanging around shops asking strangers to buy them (happened to me recently first time in years) or knowing shop keepers who are happy to flaunt the law......

Or nicking them from their parents (parents turning a blind eye) etc,

The smoking in cars with kids ban is an interesting one still see plenty of people smoking in vans and trucks "workplace"

My local on a Tuesday is £2.05 a pint of hand pulled, euro **** is £3.80 and sells by the bucket to oiks in Tracky bottoms, smoking fags in the "garden" under a huge umbrella.....

Edited by HDAV

I wonder how your apparently delicate and easily offended nature would cope in my home town during the tourist season, when not only are the outsides of local pubs and hotels surrounded by people smoking, but drinking also, to extreme, and especially that part of the tourist season that includes the gypsy horse fair!

Seriously, if congregating smokers are all you have to contend with, you've got it good.

just a straw man response, I was referring to people smoking directly in a doorway, nowhere else, you see I don't have an objection to smokers, but you just thought you would drop that in unchallenged.

Everything is relative, the gypsy horse fair wouldn't apply to me, as I wouldn't be that stupid to be anywhere near it, Appleby isn't it or some other nonsense.

So what bugs you in your life, or are you so easy going that everything goes over your head?

I think geography plays a part. Certainly where I am the pubs and nightclubs that are closing are doing so because it's not what people do anymore. Nothing to do with smoking but changes in the way teens and twenties are spending their time and what little money they have left after mortgages/rent. When I was in my twenties I was in a pub or club 5 out of 7 nights and usually spent £3-400 a week on drinking and so did my mates and work colleagues but the youngsters don't have that kind of spare cash anymore. They tend to have people round for drinks and buy it at the supermarkets where it is 1/4 of the price of a pub or club. There wasn't such a delta in prices 15 years ago.

I think the declining tolerance of drink driving has done more to 'kill' the pub than the smoking ban. Especially in rural areas.

Most people can't be bothered to drive to a pub for just one, especially when it's cheaper to have a few at home and less risk of arrest/crashing/death.

The local working mens club were I go is rammed every sat night after the smoking ban as loads people who never went out before as they were sick of there cloths stinking when they got home started using club and the same faces who sat in the consett end and did 20 fans in are still there they just keep popping out for a fag

I think it's been very easy for pubs to blame the smoking ban for the decline when really it's their own fault for not recognising the changing market. Most pubs that shut down its easy to see why, the ones that stay open have normally invested a lot of time and money in reinventing themselves either into a food pub or offer something special like decent real ale. The old boozer is now pretty much a thing of the past and although thr smoking ban had something to do with it I think the crack down on drink driving and £4.50 a pint is the main reasons.

Also there is a big social change, the days of the women being at home with the kids and husband going to the pub on his own in the evening is becoming a thing of the past.

Round here its food pubs with free wifi or you close.Yes we have a Weatherspoons and Your Hungry horse chains as well as some very very good food pubs but it is still heading to the £4 a pint and they dont do anything for the designated driver.Soft drinks 4x2 litre bottles £2 in the supermarket or a £1 a small glass in a pub why would u risk your licence for a meal ,when you can have food delivered to your door.

The good food pubs can cope with busy times and you get decent food but the minimum staff chains cannot and you get potluck and wait for drinks ,food ,and service.Too many accountants not enough common sense as the bad service gets bad reviews on trip advisor and people vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

1 on the bar ,1 waiter/waitress delivering food and no one clearing tables in a weatherspoons with about 80 people in is not good service and needs addressing but the accountant would so NO

I can not see were he is coming from saying vaping is costing him more lets say you got a 30ml bottle for around £10 and vaped about 3ml a day so 10 days makes it a pound a day, not sure what fags are these days as i stopped smoking almost 3years ago.

You're out of date with modern tanks. You can vape 3ml of liquid in a short session!

Gone are the days when 10ml bottles lasted 3 days......

Very rare to see a good pub empty. The smoking ban only got rid of the older generation who put their foot down in protest.

I don't know any freehouses worth their salt that aren't getting a decent trade. They keep their prices reasonable because they're not tied to Punch or Enterprise and getting strangled by their ludicrous pricing. They have a say in their clientele, because it's their pub and not just for a few weeks til they get moved on, so the twatty chav shouting and swearing gets slung out on his hook. For every pub that's dead and buried, i'll show you one round the corner with tills ringing.

Look at the trend for micropubs - Limited space, but always banged out. No food, no music, no mobiles, no lager - Always rammed!

You're out of date with modern tanks. You can vape 3ml of liquid in a short session!

Gone are the days when 10ml bottles lasted 3 days......

i have all the modern tanks, and Mods . i make all my own e liquids . build my own rebuilds . i do sub ohm from time to time and know that you can use more e liqid on a sub ohm tank . i was talking about the average vaper. not someone who does Cloud chasing. to say that a 10ml bottle wont last long. then its the same as a light smoker ver a heavy smoker . i do know my savings are a lot better since i backed in the fags .

since the smoking ban , most pubs local to me have closed(it killed trade instantly) , in the very near future , all of the people that complained about smokers , will be able to sit in the comfort of their own smoke free home and twiddle their thumbs , as all the pubs will be closed.

I am the reverse, I actually happily use pubs now since the smoking ban whereas there was no way I would sit in one before for an evening. Pubs round here are closing all the time because people drink at home. Look at all that booze piled up in the supermarkets, its all going down somebody's throat.

I still drink in my local, before the ban I was a 20-30 a day man, this carried on for a few years, then I give up smoking (but not drinking). I don't think the ban has ruined the pub trade, I just think that our culture is fast dying off and going to the pub was part of that culture. The duty on alcohol and Supermarket and off licences prices have contributed as well, but the people who I regularly drink with in the pub, don't drink at home.

Most pubs I go to have big outside areas and heaters.I don't go clubbing a lot but if I do it's queuing to get out onto the street to smoke that annoys me. Sorry if I block your path when I get up there, we are being herded like animals.